classical (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
Lolol I've never listened to that.

I went and saw Book of Longing live, and it was absolutely amazing.

Titburger

HSC
Current Favourites:

Ottorino Resphigi - Pines of Rome
Dimitri Shostakovich - Symphony No. 11 (2nd Movement is my all-time favourite piece of music, words cannot even describe it)
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 3 (8-9 French Horns, 4 trumpets, 5 trombones and an equally large woodwind section = epic!)
Paul Hindemith - Concert Music for Strings and Brass

Last edited:

Titburger

HSC
Thought you would all enjoy this

"When I open my eyes I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion, and I must despise the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy."
-- Ludwig van Beethoven, quoted by Bettina von Arnin, letter to Goethe, 1810

"Beethoven says that music is deeper than philosophy - that's why I got that picture of Ludwig lookin' at that brother everyday. Ludwig, what do you mean that music is deeper than philosphy? He says- well in the end, we finite creatures. We don't have a language or even a linguistic elequance that can begin to be fully truthful to the experiences that we have - the short time we're here in time and space. So therefore you need some sounds, even some noise - organised noise. We need silence between the notes and the sounds that get at the deeper truths of who we are. Now that's not a statement against linguistic elequance but is one that recognises a varieties of elequance and therefore it requires a deep courage"

-Dr Cornel West

The latter from the Terence Blanchard Group album - "Choices" which I cannot recommend enough.

Last edited:

vantastic

HSC
i was using the term "classical" broadly like most others.

and if you are going to get so anal about it, for the record, dvorak isn't a classical composer either

yep, point taken. but also i never said dvorak was classical i was just agreeing with him being good.

meeatu

HSC
Classical often bores me, I'm a rhythmic person, not so much of a melodic one.

But 20th century classical, avant garde classical and any of it where they encorporate interestic rhythmic patters is great :]

planino

HSC
so does anyone listen to classical music here?
Yes, almost all of the time :D
Chopin, Liszt, Bach, Schubert, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky (Piano concerto 1/Violin Concerto D maj are my fav Tchaik pieces) and my favourite, Rachmaninoff (whatta cool sounding name)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, almost all of the time :D
Chopin, Liszt, Bach, Schubert, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky (Piano concerto 1/Violin Concerto D maj are my fav Tchaik pieces) and my favourite, Rachmaninoff (whatta cool sounding name)
Same :D
and I love all of those composers you've mentioned. Plus Debussy and Wagner.

planino

HSC
Same :D
and I love all of those composers you've mentioned. Plus Debussy and Wagner.
This is awesome! Haven't listened to much Debussy, or any of Wagner but I'll give them a try when my parents go to sleep :p I've got too many, but favourite piece is the epic Rachmaninoff prelude op.23 no.5, really motivates and props you up. Also, Chopin's A flat Major 'Heroic' Polonaise. What's ur fav?

planino

HSC
^ Have you heard Bach's D minor Concerto 1 for Piano (Harpsichord actually)? One of the coolest things I've ever heard. How about Mozart's flute concerto in G maj? I find it quite happy and blissful (then again, so is almost all of Mozart's music anyway. I think he only wrote one Piano sonata in a minor key)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
This is awesome! Haven't listened to much Debussy, or any of Wagner but I'll give them a try when my parents go to sleep :p I've got too many, but favourite piece is the epic Rachmaninoff prelude op.23 no.5, really motivates and props you up. Also, Chopin's A flat Major 'Heroic' Polonaise. What's ur fav?
I have so many favourites but some are: Beethoven's Egmont Op. 84 Overture in F Minor. Chopin's Waltz in A-Flat Major Op. 42, "Grand valse". Chopin's Etude OP. 25 No. 9 "Butterfly". And also Nyman's The Heart Asks Pleasure First. So many to name! I can't think of them all. Pretty much all of Chopin's waltzes :)

planino

HSC
I have so many favourites but some are: Beethoven's Egmont Op. 84 Overture in F Minor. Chopin's Waltz in A-Flat Major Op. 42, "Grand valse". Chopin's Etude OP. 25 No. 9 "Butterfly". And also Nyman's The Heart Asks Pleasure First. So many to name! I can't think of them all. Pretty much all of Chopin's waltzes :)
Grande Valse is my second favourite, and yeah I'm not actually surprised why you'd like it either :) Yeah Chopin's waltzes and nocturnes capture so many moods so beautifully that I'll never get bored of them (hopefully)

qrpw

HSC
Chopin's Etude OP. 25 No. 9 "Butterfly".
Chopin's waltzes and nocturnes capture so many moods so beautifully
Butterfly is just a lovely piece. Actually, most of Chopin's music is great- ballades, sonatas, and a very underrated Barcarolle. Although I do prefer to listen to orchestral more, it just gives a whole new dimension that a piano can't unfortunately. Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky Korsakov (Scheherazade!), Brahms. Respighi is not that well known, but his works are great.

One of my current favourites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7t6N5Ao4s. Unless you're a purist and you prefer the original (still spectacular): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78AslTXMp30&feature=related
But I do have to say the orchestral version makes it ten times better :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
It's not on my iPod, but I enjoy it...
My favourite period is romantic (1820-1900), but I don't mind a bit of mozart, Bach, Haydn, ravel, some others...

The Bui

HSC
Can you guys embedded the videos in this thread i want to listen to them :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)