Co-op scholarhip (1 Viewer)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
when writing this shit just stay humble

ie oh yeah i did such and such, i learnt these skills there that will help me adapt to the environment because i have much to learn

instead of

I know this and that, thus i will be successful as a co-op etc

Patato

HSC
i got one for computer science and one for software engineering. congrats to everyone else! i wonder how many interviews are offered per course? they said they take anywhere from 20-30 minutes per interview.. guessing about two 1 hr breaks for the panel... lets say they start at 9 and end at 5. that's max 18 interviews, minimum 12? (per program)

maybe someone who's been to an interview for coop before can shed some light

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think BIT/BIS is that bad. It depends what you want to achieve out of all of this. If you are someone who was going to study some field of IT because that's what you're passionate about, which happens to be someone I know, then it's a great program. If you're only doing it because that's what you've got, then obviously you probably won't find satisfaction. Even if the degree shares some common subjects (e.g. accounting) with the degree you actually wanted, you probably won't get the recognition from industry when looking for grad jobs. But like I said at the start, if it's what you were wanting to do in the first place, then BIT/BIS is a great way to get experience in an industry which is competitive to get the top jobs.

twistedrebel

HSC
hey seremify how are the job prospects in information systems?

twistedrebel

HSC
the people in BIS are all wannabe finance/accounting etc students and just want a co op in most cases and have no idea about IT. Some of them cant even tell the difference between processes.

crauds

HSC
i applied for civil and mining and i didn't get in, ahwell, i thought my application was decent enough. i did heaps of extra curricular stuff and i was getting good marks.

life is life, does anybody know who got into engineering?
I have an interview for materials science and engineering and photovoltaics/renewable engineering course, which were my first prefs, so I'm pretty happy. ;)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I don't think BIT/BIS is that bad. It depends what you want to achieve out of all of this. If you are someone who was going to study some field of IT because that's what you're passionate about, which happens to be someone I know, then it's a great program. If you're only doing it because that's what you've got, then obviously you probably won't find satisfaction. Even if the degree shares some common subjects (e.g. accounting) with the degree you actually wanted, you probably won't get the recognition from industry when looking for grad jobs. But like I said at the start, if it's what you were wanting to do in the first place, then BIT/BIS is a great way to get experience in an industry which is competitive to get the top jobs.
This. I read that BIT gives you a professional accreditation amongst the Australian computing society.

"The Bachelor of Information Systems is a highly
prized business qualification that provides business
skills along with a major in Information Systems.
This three year degree prepares you for technology
–focused careers in systems development, and
provides you with the essential skills and knowledge
for developing and implementing information
technology solutions for businesses.
Students completing the degree are encouraged
to undertake 60 days of industrial experience
which will be recorded on the UNSW
supplementary transcript.
Along with the strong links held with industry,
the program is fully accredited by the Australian
Computing Society (ACS)."

UNIX

HSC
N/A
I got for mechanical engineering and electrical/telecommunications engineering.

nklsrh

HSC
I found this, maybe it might help. It gives heaps of stats about coop as well.
http://www.coop.unsw.edu.au/careers_advisers/downloads/files/2011_flyer.pdf
^This. Makes their selection process so much clearer. If only they made this more public earlier.
For the record, I got an interview for Comp Sci. and Software Engg. but I'm a little worried my ATAR won't cut it (96 reqd.)

They should release more detailed info regarding how many applicants were selected for each course and how many positions are there.

twistedrebel

HSC
there is like 3 comp sci in 1st year and 4 software engineering. For seng there was only 1 position but once uni started there was 3 more positions and no one applied for them until they kept extending deadline and ambushing us in classes to try and sell it to fill positions,

twistedrebel

HSC
It's a lot of work for the uni.
its more important to get the right people instead of people being booted/leaving after semester or workplacement. remember anything lower then credit then your out of the co op and have to pay back money.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
its more important to get the right people instead of people being booted/leaving after semester or workplacement. remember anything lower then credit then your out of the co op and have to pay back money.
What money? The 67 grand from the sponsors?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)