Come meet me at the internship fair! (1 Viewer)

velvetorchid

HSC
I was so psyched that P&G were taking in interns from virtually all disciplines and actually applied before the intern fair was on; I'm so sick of community pharmacy (im a pharm student). I just wanna get my foot into Pharma industries’ door, and albeit small, I know P&G have a quaint pharma department. And from their international website, it looks like they have a pretty good work culture, somewhat akin to jnj. So when I got an email to do the reasoning test at their HQ in macq park i was crazy-stoked, almost violently stoked. But like any classic Shakespearean tragedy, great things can’t be had in one fell swoop; it only ever follows longwinded and seemingly never-ending trials and tribulation.

The morning of the test was wet, cold and traffic was horrifically shit among other stupid stupid up things... So in the end I got there, covered in rain and 20mins too late. Being refused to sit the test absolutely shattered me. Fortunately the receptionist was professional, friendly and empathetic and in a similar fashion, the coordinator was able to place me in a test for this Wednesday. The way they handled the situation, with such cool and natural nonchalance, makes me want the internship just that much more. I wanna be part of a team that don’t treat people like just another number, but im so worried that being late has disadvantaged me and now I don’t know what I can do to redeem myself =(

I need all the help I can get *sigh*

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am confident that this won't disadvantage you in any way whatsoever. Things do happen in people's lives: that's why P&G have so many tests held in the next few weeks.

Also, be aware that you wouldn't be doing any pharm stuff for your internship: you'll prob be working on a big brand. I assume you applied for marketing and consumer & market knowledge?

Whilst I can't compare working within pharmaceuticals, the general P&G work culture is considered by many surveys (and awards) to be much better than J&J's, or any other FMCG company's for that matter.

Good luck in your test

amber44

HSC
stazi said:
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am confident that this won't disadvantage you in any way whatsoever. Things do happen in people's lives: that's why P&G have so many tests held in the next few weeks.

Also, be aware that you wouldn't be doing any pharm stuff for your internship: you'll prob be working on a big brand. I assume you applied for marketing and consumer & market knowledge?

Whilst I can't compare working within pharmaceuticals, the general P&G work culture is considered by many surveys (and awards) to be much better than J&J's, or any other FMCG company's for that matter.

Good luck in your test
Ahh, what encouraging words!
I WANT AN INTERNSHIP AT P&G!!!! HAHA, I'll definitely check out the fair next year.
Stazi, look out for me! HAHA

velvetorchid

HSC
*exhales with relief* i'm so glad to hear that staz... I would have really been kicking myself if i had missed this opportunity because of punctuality. I don't mind not doing any pharm stuff atm cos i still have heaps to learn at uni before I can make myself useful in that dept, lol. But I was definately hoping to pick up some essential skills that would complement pharm knowledge in order to land a BDM role on the future. And besides, wouldnt it be great to spend the summer with a world-renowned company that also looks after their people like P&G? Lol, im trying real hard to contain myself! I'll keep you guys up to date =D

much love,
velvet

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh right. You do know that business development (called CBD) at P&G is essentially sales?

I do highly recommend that you also indicate a preference for consumer & market knowledge and brand management. Would be good for you to understand your consumers better when working in pharmaceuticals.

velvetorchid

HSC
stazi said:
oh right. You do know that business development (called CBD) at P&G is essentially sales?

I do highly recommend that you also indicate a preference for consumer & market knowledge and brand management. Would be good for you to understand your consumers better when working in pharmaceuticals.
Im right on it! but I'm assuming you gotta at least have some sort of consumer behaviour background, I have none whatsoever...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
You don't need any consumer behaviour background: just be interested in the thought processes of consumers. For example, we had a B Arts student without any marketing knowledge working in that function.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Atm I'm finishing my degree, so not working with P&G. At present, I work for a marketing agency. After graduation I'll be rejoining P&G in Singapore, working as a brand manager

amber44

HSC
stazi said:
You don't need any consumer behaviour background: just be interested in the thought processes of consumers. For example, we had a B Arts student without any marketing knowledge working in that function.
Yeah but are those Bach Arts students just token recruits by P&G, 'oh we employ everyone, 50 marketing students to 2 arts students'.

velvetorchid

HSC
amber44 said:
Yeah but are those Bach Arts students just token recruits by P&G, 'oh we employ everyone, 50 marketing students to 2 arts students'.
lol, and ONE pharmacy studeny (hopefully)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
amber44 said:
Not really token: they tend to employ people who suit the company culture and are intelligent, rather than people who have studied something (with the exception of things like R&D, Finance/Accounting and Law.

For example, we have someone studying some crazy robot engineering in sales this year. A person doing Asian Studies is working in market research this year, too.

Whilst doing marketing can advantage you, essentially they're looking for other factors, too. They like people who think a bit differently.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
velvetorchid said:
damn that's hectic man, when did you work with P&G before?
did an internship at the start of this year

stazi

Nightman
HSC
absolutely amazing.
1) You aren't really an intern: more of an actual employee. They ask you to solve an actual business problem, and then actually implement your recommendations. You'll never have to make coffee or anything like that
2) The company is amazing to work for, mainly thanks to the people. Seriously, everyone you work with is so intelligent and interesting.
3) I found the work to be a lot of fun in itself
4) Work-life balance is great: you essentially work your own hours (you have to be in the office between 10:30am and 3pm, but how you get your work done outside those hours is up to you)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)