• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Come meet me at the internship fair! (2 Viewers)

velvetorchid

HSC
it sounds too good to be true... you must be really something to not only have landed that gig, but to secure yourself a postion in ABROAD upon graduating too. Respect.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Well, to be fair all their marketing and consumer & market knowledge positions are in singapore for this year's grad intake. The internships are based in singapore too for those two functions.

It is a bit too good to be true, but I did a lot of research on the company before getting the job (and I mean hours and hours: spoke to employees online, read forum posts, read the Vault most prestigious employers ratings, looked up awards, etc.), so I was confident it was the best company to work for.

There are some cons for working for the company, but those are mainly for certain individuals. For example, if you're not a 'leader' and don't seek out help from others, then you will probably struggle and eventually lose your job. A lot of training is done as per your own initiative (for example, I wanted to learn how to use a complex stats-based program to look up past research P&G did about the market I worked on: I had to actually arrange a meeting with someone working in CMK, so that I could be taught).

It's also an amazing working environment for working your way up. In many companies, you may be doing quite well at your job, but then they'll just hire someone from outside to a higher position, and you'll stay in your role longer than you have to.

At P&G almost all the hiring is done at grad level. So, to be a general manager in most cases, you would have started as an entry level assistant brand manager, or customer business development person, etc.

For this reason, you get promoted very quickly. They know that you get bored without promotions so the typical pattern for a marketer (as an example) is:
Years 1-3/4: Assistant Brand Manager
Years 3/4-6: Brand Manager
Years 6-7: Associate Director of Marketing
Years 7-8: Director of Marketing
Years 10-12: General Manager

velvetorchid

HSC
Nonetheless, you obviously put in your fair share of work to get where you are. It's great that you can confirm that they really mean it when they say they promote from within the company because although this may be a dying trend, I'm all about company loyalty. Im not at all phased about working hard cause i enjoy doing it for someone who is also interested in furthering my cause too especially when this sort of symbiotic relationship is so hard to find these days. I'm young and eager, full of energy and drive. But I sometimes find it a little isolating in a way that neither my peers nor colleagues share this same kinda will... hopefully the family of people of this sort at P&G will take me in. (lol, i know how much of a sob story this sounds like, but the only way i can vent all this ambition is by thrashing the textbooks and at my current job now. but it quickly grew old and repetitve when I realised that the boss couldnt give two shits about what I my goals were and simply made me stock shelves day-in day-out... i guess i just wanna be part of something bigger, you know?)

velvetorchid

HSC
lol, dont get such a bighead. I hit on anything that MOVES!! lol, i sound like sucha perv

skopje

HSC
I made a pretty half-assed application for the Finance internship and forgot about it until yesterday when I received an email telling me that I didnt even complete the online assessment. I did it, passed and now I got a test at their office on Monday. After doing some research, PG seems like a cool place to be working. I'm not too worried about the test, but is there any pointers for the interviews (if I get through) or any other general hints and tips.

Cheers.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
skopje said:
I made a pretty half-assed application for the Finance internship and forgot about it until yesterday when I received an email telling me that I didnt even complete the online assessment. I did it, passed and now I got a test at their office on Monday. After doing some research, PG seems like a cool place to be working. I'm not too worried about the test, but is there any pointers for the interviews (if I get through) or any other general hints and tips.

Cheers.
Firstly, you should be worried about the test. Do the practice test a few times. A lot of people don't pass the test (although it's easier than in previous years).

My biggest piece of advice is to study the website for later rounds. It clearly shows the kind of person that P&G is looking for, and your goal is to demonstrate that you are this person.

It is an awesome place to work :) The finance interns had a great time this year

skopje

HSC
Thanks.

The practice test is a piece of cake - the online Reasoning Assessment was pretty fucked up though with those obscure shape patterns and shit. In any case, I obviously will take it seriously but I've done so many of these tests for previous jobs that they're not able to make me nervous anymore.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
keep in mind the time limit. the real life reasoning test also tests shape patterns, and the like.

the tests may be easy, but the time pressure makes it difficult. Luckily you have more time, now (used to only get an hour for 50 questions)

skopje

HSC
True.

What about the interviews? Are they strictly character-based or will they ask me technical stuff relating to my degree (e.g. questions about Finance or International Business, etc.)?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
They will primarily ask you experience-based questions. For example, they could ask: take us through a time when you exceeded expectations.

pmtruong

HSC
their recruitment seems so efficient this year. i applied then got screening test straight away and then str8 after that i was invited to do the inhouse problem solving test and then i have no idea how but one hour after the test i was emailed to say i had passed it and i now need to do a sds. wow

pmtruong

HSC
staz based on the sds do they consider you for the positions they said they will...coz i was only sent 1 sds not 1 for each position.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
they consider you for all positions you applied for based on your responses to the SDS. good luck with the sds

KarmaKitten

HSC
Its amazing how many people go to interviews not knowing anything about the company/organisation. After a while, it just gets tiring really.

Stazi is right. Read their websites. Look at what they want, at what they do, their goals. Nobody wants to hire someone who has no clue about their company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)