communication option (1 Viewer)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
falltopieces said:
Depolarisation must reach a threshold (minimum stimulus required to generate respnse in the nerve cell) which is at least 50 mV more than the resting potential of - 70 mv. No Action potential if depolarisation is below this level. Therefore not all stimuli produce an action potential.

Are you sure it's 50? My teacher said it's +15mV.

I basically wrote the same - threshold, resting stage, minimum stimulus of 15mV otherwise no action potention..etcetc.

I thought it was a pretty fair Communication section. I'm just mad I spent all week learning about Rhodopsin! Grr.

Kirika

HSC
oh thank god someone else put 15.. i was sitting here freaking out quietle, feeeling v. ashamed that i had managed to confuse a 15 and a 50... only ting... which the hell one is rite???

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Kirika said:
oh thank god someone else put 15.. i was sitting here freaking out quietle, feeeling v. ashamed that i had managed to confuse a 15 and a 50... only ting... which the hell one is rite???
According to my exercise book and notes, it's 15. But I don't know for sure because I handed in my Communication book! *is now nervous*

falltopieces

HSC
snickerdoodle said:
According to my exercise book and notes, it's 15. But I don't know for sure because I handed in my Communication book! *is now nervous*
I'm sorry but it's 15 mV more than the resting potential .

that was a typo

Bokky

HSC
Depolarisation must reach a threshold (minimum stimulus required to generate respnse in the nerve cell) which is at least 50 mV more than the resting potential of - 70 mv. No Action potential if depolarisation is below this level. Therefore not all stimuli produce an action potential.
Yeah i had a similar answer to that but yes i think u mean a stimulus of at least 15milliVolts from the resting potential of -70mV to create an action potential ;). That question ruled, i even managed to draw up a nice graph showing the action potential :D

princess_jess

well i hate the communication topic but was going ok until i got to part d! i didnt study action potentials and neurones so that sucked! the other questions were ok tho so hopefully i did well in them!

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
Yeah i had a similar answer to that but yes i think u mean a stimulus of at least 15milliVolts from the resting potential of -70mV to create an action potential ;). That question ruled, i even managed to draw up a nice graph showing the action potential :D
Yup do you have to draw the action-potential graph as well?

Bokky

HSC
well the question didnt ask u to but i decided to tho just to show the marker that i understand how the action potential works. So hopefully i can get some benefit from that.

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
well the question didnt ask u to but i decided to tho just to show the marker that i understand how the action potential works. So hopefully i can get some benefit from that.
Yeah I guess that's a good thing. Showing the marker that you know more.

which question was the hardest one?

Bokky

HSC
to me the hardest one was the "assess the use of micrographs for structure of neurones" . I didnt know exactly what to write about there so i guess i lost a bit of marks there.

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
to me the hardest one was the "assess the use of micrographs for structure of neurones" . I didnt know exactly what to write about there so i guess i lost a bit of marks there.

Yeah I guess I lost a few marks on that question too.

Hey how about the colour blindness question? .

Bokky

HSC
umm, i stated that Jack has a 50% chance of being colour blind if Maria (his mum) was a carrier of the colour blind condition. Coz i think Maria couldve been XCXc or XCXC (C being normal vision and c being recessive colour blind gene). And her husband, i forgot his name, is unaffected meaning that he is XCY. Did others say this as well?

eemily

HSC
Bokky said:
umm, i stated that Jack has a 50% chance of being colour blind if Maria (his mum) was a carrier of the colour blind condition. Coz i think Maria couldve been XCXc or XCXC (C being normal vision and c being recessive colour blind gene). And her husband, i forgot his name, is unaffected meaning that he is XCY. Did others say this as well?

yep i pretty much got that, cos she's got 50% chance of being a carrier, depending on what she got from her mum.

that neurone question killed me.. what was the right answer? hopefully that's the only one i lost marks on though...

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:

Others mostly got 25%

Bokky

HSC
Others mostly got 25%
Oh yeah, thats because they counted every possible offspring including females, so 1 in 4 chance of being colour blind. But i think it's also correct to say 50% chance (or 1 in 2) only counting the males in the possible offspring. So yeah, i think u could be right either way ;)

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
Oh yeah, thats because they counted every possible offspring including females, so 1 in 4 chance of being colour blind. But i think it's also correct to say 50% chance (or 1 in 2) only counting the males in the possible offspring. So yeah, i think u could be right either way ;)
Yup. Looks like you're gonna get high 90s ^^

Bokky

HSC
lol i hope so, i mean the exam wasnt all that hard and i tried most questions my hardest. Id predict my mark to be around the low 80s, possibly high 80s, id be very happy with that. I wouldnt even mind high 70s either.

OMG stupid multiple choice question on smoking. i got that one wrong *CRIES!!!* i said viral disease, wat was i thinking. I thought viral meant like internal disease (as in lung disease), but the answer is environmental disease. argh i screwed that one up, ah well, time to move on.

Last edited:

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
lol i hope so, i mean the exam wasnt all that hard and i tried most questions my hardest. Id predict my mark to be around the low 80s, possibly high 80s, id be very happy with that. I wouldnt even mind high 70s either.

OMG stupid multiple choice question on smoking. i got that one wrong *CRIES!!!* i said viral disease, wat was i thinking. I thought viral meant like internal disease (as in lung disease), but the answer is environmental disease. argh i screwed that one up, ah well, time to move on
Hey how do you measure the size of the red blood cells and W.B.C in question 13?

Bokky

HSC
theres a prac/experiment u do in ur biology course to estimate the size of red blood cells. Red blood cells are approx. 7 micro-meteres not nm (nanometres).

falltopieces

HSC
Bokky said:
theres a prac/experiment u do in ur biology course to estimate the size of red blood cells. Red blood cells are approx. 7 micro-meteres not nm (nanometres).

That means I lost 3 marks in the MC.

Dissapointing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)