Competition at your school (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
maybe cos you're the smartest one haha
yeah. Heaps of people ask me questions and once I said that i didn't know how to do it. Unluckily, the teacher heard me say that and then she just screamed at me, "how can you not know how to do the question... bla bla bla". boo hoo i try to act dumb, and nobody believes me. funny thing is that I help everyone out and nobody helps me out. Sometimes even the teacher refuses to help me out because she doesn't believe that I don't know how to do it. :jedi:

zomg

HSC
N/A
Well, there are the few people who aren't that accelerated that try/ study hard. Those are the people who bloody like to steal off you. They also are VERY reluctant on helping you.
Same dilemma with the very top students in my year.

The rest of the people at my school are happy with their C, D's and E's.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
In year 12 there is a huge jump in competition. Everyone, even those who never used to put in effort before and got detentions in year 10 and 11 lift their game and they will suprise you as to how smart they really are.

In our school, there was competition but I must say it was healthy. Rankings are what matters and so competition is a must if you want to succeed. But, remember to help each other out. If the competition is such that everyone gives it their best then even if your ranking isn't number 1, because the difference between the scores is small and you collectively do well in the HSC then your marks will get moderated very highly. At our school some students who were coming first actually shared their notes around, benifitting everyone and them in the long run.

If there isn't any competition then remember, you're competiting against the state! Keep yourself determined to do well and help your peers. Teaching makes you learn more as well! If you can teach and explain to someone who doesn't know what is going on then that means you know the concept, you know what is happening behind the scenes. If you know the concept, then you can apply yourself to any question. Understanding the concept>memorising.

The HSC is changing so you have to think more on the spot. In the sciences such as phys there have been more calculation and even skills questions (interpreting graphs etc). They are also putting in broader questions which require you to draw your knowledge from multiple topics and apply these to a question. If the fundamentals are clear you can succeed everywhere.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
The competition at my school was evident more so in year 11. It was a whole new ball game, so to speak, and as such, the people who were the high achievers gave it there all. There were four people who got academic awards at the end of the year for topping 3+ subjects. However, the high achievers is a very small group compared to the grade. We had a grade of about 130-150 and of that, I'd say around 25 were your 85%+ kinda students. Out of those, there are two main super high achievers, but others who try just as hard.
You can see my strong points in my rankings below, but the other person who was the super high achiever did 4U english, all the history subjects and art. There is a big difference between us two.

In year 11, the competition was really close, but in year 12, everything slackened. In my mind, there were two or so high achievers who went way down in all their subjects :/ Still, the result of less competition in year 12 was that everyone shared everything. I know I tried to help as many people as I could, and after all internal assessments were done, I gave out essays and self written notes just to try and bring the cohort up and reduce stress/make study easier etc.

Lol, long comment :/ Still, I think it's an interesting subject.

All in all though, I feel the competition was worse in year 11, but generally, it was quite healthy.

Nyxie

HSC
Our school has been pretty supportive so far--- there is definitely a more serious atmosphere, with everyone being silent in class, taking notes and being genuinely interested consistently in what is being taught.

Our competition hasn't got to the unhealthy stage yet though...

Yeah, we've got two high math and science achievers and one high english and humanitarian achiever.

Overall, about half our year are really nice and supportive and it seems like they've all being pulling themselves together for the HSC-- the other half are pretty much slackers...

deepalurie

HSC
at james ruse there is unhealthy competition - even your best friends fight to beat you. and i hate it so much!! am i the only person that genuinely wants others to do well?? competition = crazy

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i hate it soo much too. all people do is talk about beating other people. and teachers try to make the smart people give all their notes to the rest of the class.. and these people just take them, without giving anything in return. and then behind ur back, they start dissing u. nobody is a friend, everyone is an enemy :(

shady145

Banned
HSC
i hate it soo much too. all people do is talk about beating other people. and teachers try to make the smart people give all their notes to the rest of the class.. and these people just take them, without giving anything in return. and then behind ur back, they start dissing u. nobody is a friend, everyone is an enemy :(
=/ thats what it was kind of like at my school when i got rank 1 in everything that i do. I just tried helping more.<---- mainly the girls because they were winging the most, and i wanted to help the girls the most ^^

Dont mention your rank to them or they'll think you're up yourself...
keep it cool, study, be friendly and support people around you... that probably the best way to keep your friends

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
at james ruse there is unhealthy competition - even your best friends fight to beat you. and i hate it so much!! am i the only person that genuinely wants others to do well?? competition = crazy
should I know you? XP
well, I disagree. at least within my group competition makes us all perform better, and since we're mainly in different classes we borrow notes off each other depending on who has the better teachers. basically if you need help there's always someone who knows how to do it and will explain it to you, which is awesome. I also make notes and share with anyone [who I know] that asks, and have been doing so for the last 3or so years. there have been people whose notes have stopped me from failing several times, so I think it's only fair.

verdades

HSC
There are/were competitive people in my year, yet the most it ever really came out was when someone was whinging about having done "badly", or the few times one of the guys skipped out on some parties and such in preference of studying [he topped maths and ext, physics, and came about 3rd in English].
Overall, we helped each other, but there were a few of us, who, through personal dislikes, decided that we simply had to beat a certain person.
In maths and ext, everyone could ask someone for help. In English and ext, we'd be given good essays that people in the class had written to look over, and later in English ext, whenever we wrote something, we shared it with the rest of the class before it was due, anyway. Teacher also had the idea of a lesson devoted to us giving "seminars", where we shared our notes on a certain text with the rest of the class.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The first thing a JR kid says after everyone gets an exam back - What did you get? The top girl in our school refused to give me her Eco notes because I wasa threat to her in the exam. I beat her anyway. She subsequently dropped Eco (not because of me though).

alisondance

HSC
english advanced + 1 guy are the only competitive ones. my schools really good everyone is happy with others achievements even if they were beaten by them. we all kinda got an idea whose guna be in the top of classes anway which helps but our school seems to be hapy with inidvidual achievements rather than rank and competition. its great we have a close yr, were all friends :)

Mudkip94

HSC
Pretty much no competition at my school (ranked 437th lol). Majority are happy with a 'pass' mark of > 50%.

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: Competition at your school

although our school rank like 300th, the competition of the smart group in our year is enormous, especially dux and the 2nd place. the compeition in our school is sort of unhealthy comparing the previous thread i read above me.

no one share note.
no one care about anyones study.
no one care of about how u study.
all they care is ur mark and ur rank.

and there is one cantonese kid, sadly in my group, full bitch about ppl marks and ranks when he didnt even achieve better than others. hes the shittiest person in our group, in terms of ranks and mark. ive feel so annoy that he pisses everybody off and hes still remain in our group! :burn:

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
yeah. Heaps of people ask me questions and once I said that i didn't know how to do it. Unluckily, the teacher heard me say that and then she just screamed at me, "how can you not know how to do the question... bla bla bla". boo hoo i try to act dumb, and nobody believes me. funny thing is that I help everyone out and nobody helps me out. Sometimes even the teacher refuses to help me out because she doesn't believe that I don't know how to do it. :jedi:

zomg
give your notes to whoever asks for them, if your whole class is doing really well and you're still topping the class then that's even better for you

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
give your notes to whoever asks for them, if your whole class is doing really well and you're still topping the class then that's even better for you
2nd, 3rd and 4th place are like around 0.5, 1 mark, 1.5 marks away from mine respectively.

zomg no way. nobody is gonna be allowed to beat me. very small increments :(

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
ninetypercent, all you ever do is crap on about how your first in all of your subjects, i think we get it. congratulations, move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)