complex numbers question from cambridge (1 Viewer)

azn5reppin

HSC
N/A
Ex 2.4 q6 is "factorise z^3-1. If z is one of the cube roots of unity, find the two possible values of z^2+z+1. " the solutions do z=1, z^2+z+1=3. Z not equal to 1, z^ +z+1=0. I dont rly understand how the roots of unity relate to the question, can someone explain?

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Spot on, roots of unity are when
So in the question, you would relate it to and thus find the values for
Since when is -1 considered to be 'the unit' ?

Roots of unity are only the solutions to z^n = 1.

If you want to extend this to -1, why not i, -i, and any other number with a modulus of 1?

bottleofyarn

HSC
Since when is -1 considered to be 'the unit' ?

Roots of unity are only the solutions to z^n = 1.

If you want to extend this to -1, why not i, -i, and any other number with a modulus of 1?
Brain fart. I'll edit cause braintic is 100% correct.

azn5reppin

HSC
N/A
So is z^n=1 or -1 the only type of 'roots of unity' questions?

bottleofyarn

HSC
Roots of unity is only for . Roots of unity questions are all based on this and typically use factorisation or de Moivre's theorem. Sorry for any earlier confusion.

azn5reppin

HSC
N/A
So would you solve these roots of unity questions different to any other question like find fourth roots of 2+2i? And sorry I still dont understand how roots of unity relates to the original question in my first post, can someone explain?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So would you solve these roots of unity questions different to any other question like find fourth roots of 2+2i? And sorry I still dont understand how roots of unity relates to the original question in my first post, can someone explain?

To find the fourth roots of something like 2+2i, you must find its equivalence in mod-arg form, then use De Moivre's theorem.

Another quick thing to do is let:

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Ex 2.4 q6 is "factorise z^3-1. If z is one of the cube roots of unity, find the two possible values of z^2+z+1. " the solutions do z=1, z^2+z+1=3. Z not equal to 1, z^ +z+1=0. I dont rly understand how the roots of unity relate to the question, can someone explain?
As no-one has actually answered the original question:

This question does NOT require either de Moivres theorem OR the quadratic formula. It is MUCH more trivial.

z^3 - 1 = 0

Factorise:
(z-1) (z^2 + z + 1) = 0

So

EITHER z=1 making z^2+z+1=1+1+1=3

OR z^2 + z + 1 = 0

Done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)