Compulsory Aboriginal/Torres Straight Islander culture uni course proposed (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
SMH said:
ALL university students and staff will be required to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture under proposals to be considered by the Federal Government.

As part of the strategy, it will be compulsory for all staff, including bureaucrats and teachers, to undertake the course.

Last Thursday the Indigenous Higher Education Advisory Council endorsed recommendations which included the courses, setting participation targets and mandatory representation on university executives and other decision-making structures.
The council is the main adviser to the Minister for Education, Julia Gillard.

Ms Gillard recently set a target for 20 per cent of undergraduate enrolments in higher education to be from low socio-economic backgrounds. No targets have yet been set for indigenous participation. She named the council as the main body to work with the Government to improve Aboriginal access and retention.

The council chairman, Roger Thomas, said it had been disappointed with the Bradley review into higher education which contained only one recommendation on indigenous students. Ms Gillard's support had re-energised Aborigines working in higher education.

The main goals were access and retention and addressing individual or institutional racism.

The president of the Australian Liberal Students Federation, Byron Hodkinson, said: "Compulsory education on Aboriginal culture is something you would expect at primary school not university.

"I would be quite concerned of the financial burdens this would impose on all students."
Aboriginal uni course proposed | smh.com.au

Yes, because I can see how a 6cp course in Aboriginal culture (as interesting as that is) would be totally relevant to my degree, and not a total waste of time I would otherwise spend on other courses! :rolleyes:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Another stepping stone on Comrade Rudd's move to dictatorship.

No comrades, we shall ban Internet sites we determine necessary. And we shall determine your education based on what we believe is the best course of action. There is no need to consider objecting the decision, because you have no recourse to do so.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well, tbh a fair few degrees already have this sort of shit. The nursing degree at CSU has an entire subject on Aboriginals and how to treat them and respect their beliefs. In my law subject, we had an entire topic on Aboriginal law which was fucking irrelevant as SHIT.

Fuck this shit, they better not expect that it's going towards my HECS debt or that I'm paying upfront for it.

Scissors

HSC
how fucking silly. as greekgun said, we've already been fed this shit for 12 years.

WE KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT ABOS MR. RUDD

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
UoW was planning to introduce this style of thing as a compulsary 6CP subject for all education degrees, but it came to nothing. Either make it a free subject, or fuck off. I get it. There was a "stolen generation" and the whites treated the blecks like crap. We feel for them. Cool.

Doesn't mean we have to sit through 13 weeks of marvolous cultral bullshit about the importance of eating a bilby and drawing stick figures on a wall.
this is why you need to take the class
BILBY'S ARE SACRED

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
my degree already has one :(

i mean wtf... aboriginal education? That's one of them "oxymorons" surely

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
My degree already has one also. Probably the same Will Shakespear did.

It was okay, having some relevance to my field, but I wouldn't go recommending it to any engineers.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
I think I'm going to throw up.

I KNOW MORE ABOUT ABORIGINAL CULTURE THAN MOST ABORIGINALS.

MANDATORY LEARNING ABOUT THEM MAKES ME DISLIKE THE CULTURE EVEN MORE FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT I AM *FORCED* TO DO SO.

WHAT IS THERE NOT TO UNDERSTAND?!

ITT: Caps is are good.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Haha shit.

What exactly does an "aboriginal education" entail?
EDUC4073 - aboriginal & contemporary issues in education

[This course] will develop students' understanding of Aboriginal culture and the challenges faced by Aboriginal students when they attend formal institutions such as schools that are not part of Aboriginal culture.

--

so... "da wite fella make me go skool brudda" i guess

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
haha suck shit that sounds like a terrible course

but seriously what the fuck, there was a chapter in engineering and society about abos and that was bad enough.

what relevance do abos have to engineering. are there even any abo engineers?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

but seriously what the fuck, there was a chapter in engineering and society about abos and that was bad enough.

well they were the first culture in the world to apply Bernoulli's principle and develop a working aerofoil...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

The first one graduated a couple of years ago. There was an email about it.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Considering Aboriginies can't read or write maybe they should consider giving them compulsory education classes rather than waste our time teaching us crap that we learnt in primary school.

But then again nothing surprises me anymore from the Rudd government

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)