Conic sections help a teacher out (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Sounds great in theory. But I think you need a dose of reality in regard to what students are really like and what they expect. I take it you've booked a place at a selective high school on your graduation, because at most other schools you won't get to teach Ext 2 for years, and most of the time you will be teaching General and 2 unit. And I can assure you that these students at non-selective high schools won't take to your method.
Most yes, not all.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah this Socratic style of teaching is effective and can lead to real understanding rather than superficial mimicry of a teachers calculations. Unfortunately I think the time constraints in a teaching year handcuff you somewhat in how much you can employ this.
This part especially.

Ideally, we do this for the entire course. But the role of the teacher includes managing where to focus their sights, and which concepts need a bit more digging than others.

No wonder nobody wants to get into teaching if current people in the profession are so overwhelmingly negative about how a passionate a student teacher is. For all y'all are going on about the 'best' way to teach - nobody seems to be applying the same principles to teaching Alexis about teaching.

/2c
No, I do not think we are being overwhelmingly negative. She is being given a good dose of reality.

She may be passionate about teaching Mathematics, which is respectable. However, this does not excuse her from the amount of complacency, hostility and the "I know everything" attitude that she has demonstrated.

We are willing to help (or at least I am), but only if she is receptive to help. As braintic said, how can we help somebody who appears to have placed themselves above us (in a rather unjustified manner, might I add)?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No wonder nobody wants to get into teaching if current people in the profession are so overwhelmingly negative about how a passionate a student teacher is. For all y'all are going on about the 'best' way to teach - nobody seems to be applying the same principles to teaching Alexis about teaching.

/2c
i don't think it's overwhelmingly negative at all lol, it's giving back constructive criticism (as well as praising Alexis' good ideas of which she has had a few). It's just feedback haha

enoilgam

HSC
No, I do not think we are being overwhelmingly negative. She is being given a good dose of reality.

She may be passionate about teaching Mathematics, which is respectable. However, this does not excuse her from the amount of complacency, hostility and the "I know everything" attitude that she has demonstrated.

We are willing to help (or at least I am), but only if she is receptive to help. As braintic said, how can we help somebody who appears to have placed themselves above us (in a rather unjustified manner, might I add)?
i don't think it's overwhelmingly negative at all lol, it's giving back constructive criticism (as well as praising Alexis' good ideas of which she has had a few). It's just feedback haha
These two pretty much. Look, Alexis Texas obviously has some pretty strong opinions on teaching which definitely makes for valuable discussion. But like, given the way she has shot some people down, the reaction is definitely understandable.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
Just to follow up I took on a lot of advice from here and nailed my presentation

50/50 y o l o

If you have an edmodo account, the group code is c2o201

my lesson plan, powerpoint, grapher file (only works on mac i think) and geogebra file is there feel free to use it it is pretty amazing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)