Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (2 Viewers)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
*sob* The Australian Insititue of Music, aint that bad, ( well the HIgh school isnt tee hee) Yeah, Dont go to The Aust. Insitiute of Music, i went there for high school, 11+12 and they have great high school BUT Crap uni, which isnt even recognised so you do a 3 year degree and it means absolute crap, you couldnt do a masters or anything at the con, if you went to A.I.m.

Abraxus

HSC
Yeah, I had my UNSW audition on Wednesday morning, and it didn't go too well. The written test flew by, it was all common sense. But for the prac, in the end I realised I picked the wrong piece, I chose one of my harder ones cause I thought that was what they were looking for. I did a Chopin Waltz and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. I screwed up my Chopin so badly they told me to "play only a page of the Moonlight" cause they were expecting it to be just as bad. But I was confident with my Moonlight cause I've played it religiously, and I ended up playing the entire piece. The singing was unexpected, because I called and asked if I had to prepare a song and they said no, so I sang the first song that came to my head and blew parts of the lyrics. All in all I think I did crap, I walked out of the campus feeling like shit. There goes my chance at making UNSW ... Wonder how bad my Con will go if this was bad enough.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I believe it's actually Easier to get into the Con than it is into UNSW Music, purely because the Con accepts 140 (or thereabouts) tertiary level students a year, and UNSW offer a lot less.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I just had my con interview! I'm so happy about this interview, it went so well. Some memorable quotes from the interviewers (for composition) were:

"Oh I like this piece"

"Anne Carr Boyd use to live near your school!"

"With a bit of luck we'll see you next year"

I don't care, I want to read into the "see you next year" thing, regardless. It has made me so happy.

*jumps for joy*

Now I just have that music skills test to do tomorrow...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
YAY!! Sounds like it went well, ur_inner_child! Damn, i didnt see you today! But i might see you at the aural test tomorow! i had my audition this morning - it was OK. I played my 1st piece really well- they stopped me in the middle of it though - and my 2nd piece was ok - it wasnt the best but it wasnt too bad either. And i playd my study like SHIT cos i hadnt played it since like last year and i had schools spec all last week so i didnt have time to practice it wooops! And sight reading was cool except i stuffed up one rhythm bit cos it was syncopated and was all weird arghhhh!!! YAY i didnt have to do any scales!!! woo hoo! My music Ed interview was really short and brief... oh well. YAY im glad its over! No wait... i have to do my comp interview tomorow!! Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
my audition was pretty good as well, and NO SCALES!!! yay!!! :) bit off puting waiting to go in with good trumpeters playing in their but oh well im happy with how i played, might have been better if i wasn't SICK!!! :( damn the heat... yay only one more audition left, SBS!! woo hoo!! :D

Abraxus

HSC
My Con audition is tomorrow ... I'm getting cold feet about auditioning for Major level. I applied just to give it a go, but seriously I'm really unprepared - learning 5 new pieces to suit the requirements was harder than I thought, I've got 4 and one of them isn't complete, the other 3 I still do heaps of mistakes. My sight reading's not that bad, as long as they don't give me an 8th grade level. As for scales ... don't go there ...

You reckon its possible for me to withdrawal from Major audition even though I applied for it? Seriously they're gonna be unimpressed with my progress, learning 5 new pieces in two months was hard.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Abraxus said:
My Con audition is tomorrow ... I'm getting cold feet about auditioning for Major level. I applied just to give it a go, but seriously I'm really unprepared - learning 5 new pieces to suit the requirements was harder than I thought, I've got 4 and one of them isn't complete, the other 3 I still do heaps of mistakes. My sight reading's not that bad, as long as they don't give me an 8th grade level. As for scales ... don't go there ...

You reckon its possible for me to withdrawal from Major audition even though I applied for it? Seriously they're gonna be unimpressed with my progress, learning 5 new pieces in two months was hard.

dont worry youll do fine - i pulled out a study which i havent played since last year and i completely stuffed it up! Apart from that everything else was ok... i had to laern a new piece and i didnt think i had enough time to work on it... but gosh, thats no where near as much as 5 new pieces so yeah!! whoa, good luck dude!

Abraxus

HSC
My Con audition went alright, I ended up pulling out of Major level after all. Nerves got to me in the scales, cause I ended up stuffing the simple ones like A Major and even Bb Major, which is my best scale. The Sight Reading was pretty hard, it was an excerpt and I got confused with the timing since I couldn't see the time signature and the whole syncopation was confusing. They only got me to play 2 of my 3 pieces, and even still I got stopped after less than a minute or so in each - dunno whether to take it as a good or bad sign in saying I was that good or that bad. The whole audition lasted not even 5 minutes. Guess I won't know how I went till the results then ...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Abraxus said:
My Con audition went alright, I ended up pulling out of Major level after all. Nerves got to me in the scales, cause I ended up stuffing the simple ones like A Major and even Bb Major, which is my best scale. The Sight Reading was pretty hard, it was an excerpt and I got confused with the timing since I couldn't see the time signature and the whole syncopation was confusing. They only got me to play 2 of my 3 pieces, and even still I got stopped after less than a minute or so in each - dunno whether to take it as a good or bad sign in saying I was that good or that bad. The whole audition lasted not even 5 minutes. Guess I won't know how I went till the results then ...

dont worry when they stop you - its probably because they have to keep up with the time table so that the auditions arent running late... u can never tell whether its a good thing or a bad thing - you just have to ignore it! O well at least its over! you can relax now! YAY!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Hey guys

This thread is the one that used to be called Conservatorium of Music Entry

I've merged several of the threads in the forum in an attempt to tidy up so all conservatorium (Sydney or otherwise) related threads have been placed in here.

These include: Syd Con Life? , MUSIC AUDITIONS/INTERVIEW - Post your experiences here and Con Audition Date released.

Will amalgamate all relevant posts shortly when I get more time.

jessabelle080

Jazz Vocal Con Audition

I had my audition on December 2nd for Jazz Vocal. I'm damn annoyed that you can't do a major for it, that would have been so good, but its good that you don't have to do the jazz aptitude test, yay, just music skills test for me. My pieces went really well and sight reading was harder than expected but fine. Aural however, dear dear, just reminded me that i really hadn't done an exam for ages and i needed to practice it. Meh, made me sing a 2 octave scale which i think is quite a crazy ask considering as not everyone has big ranges, but it was fine, nice and comfortable.

What did everyone think of the music skills test?

talk to ya soon chickadees

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
i got freaked out when he said the first section went towards your entrance!! and i suck at all dictation.. :( and harmony is pretty shit.

My 18th is in the 1st week of con next year so when we all get in. EVERYONE is invited. it will probably be at the paragon.. not sure :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
the test was the hardest one i dun so far - all other ones like at unsw, uws, newcastle, etc were all easy..... damn! o well..... the test was shit but my audition was great so yeah im trying not to worry about it tooo much.... :confused:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
hey ujuphleg i kno u wana keep the music forum clean n tidy etc but like i think u combined too many threads together in this one... like the topic is now way too broad esp how u combined non sydney con stuff with sydney con stuff oh well

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
My 18th is in the 1st week of con next year so when we all get in. EVERYONE is invited. it will probably be at the paragon.. not sure :D
Um tim it might be a good idea to invite your friends, not some random BOS people who uve never met before or have only met once....

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
hehe yeh i know, but EVERYONE is invited all the 1st year at con is invited i think, i have to invite everyone because knowing me, noone will come :D

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
hey ujuphleg i kno u wana keep the music forum clean n tidy etc but like i think u combined too many threads together in this one... like the topic is now way too broad esp how u combined non sydney con stuff with sydney con stuff oh well
i agree

a bit messy now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)