• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
ITS TRUE!!!! they had a party a few weeks ago and they had one of the jazz bands playing, i was sceptical to, but i saw the evidence of it on saturday morning when i was there. lol :p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Both the BMusStudies and the DipMus require a Principal study (performance, musicology, composition) at either major or minor level.

miss_pixie

HSC
Thanks guys, i'll look into it. That saturday thing sounds good and i'll check out whats available other than the con..
i've had my confidence beaten out of me today by a C in my AMEB piano exam.. i am very sad and very ashamed but i was expecting bad results.. oh well.. kinda made me realise that i may just never be good enough to get into the con.. ever :'(
I think i'll stick with trumpet from now on though.. lol..
Oh and go all the trumpeters!! woohoo!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
see!!! :p apparently it went off.. but i don't think they are going to have another one because they really messed up the Cafe :(, its a pretty cool venue for a con party though unlike a pub with any randoms...

im at the con now... sneaky sneaky on the library comps :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
MUSIC AUDITIONS/INTEVIEWS: Your Experiences Here

Not the best idea to tell people what questions consist of.

So far I have done UNSW Music. Seems like a nice, friendly place.

But the listening and the written test? Two extremes? One fairly easy, one fairly disgustingly hard? How was it for you?

Can't wait for the con....

Anyone still nervous??

How many auditions/interviews do you have?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Oh, and another thing?
Today about 20 people were waiting in line.

Seeing as though these auditions go for a week, there seems to be A LOT OF CANDIDATES...

*worried*

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
I had my first audition on MOnday for UNSW - it was pretty good. I played well, except stuffed up my singing - i started singing the wrong words! woops! The aural tests were pretty straight forward, except some were a litle boring and was hard to keep concentrating....

Yesterday i had my Art audition at Canbera but that was for art not music so i wont go into that one....

This morning i had my Canbera School of music audition - i got to do it in Sydney cos i already went down to canbera yesterday and i woulda had to go down there again on another day. It was ok - i played one of the pieces well, and the other one needs a bit of work though....

Yay! AUditions are over for this week!! Next tuesday, i have the Sydney Con audition, and then on wednesday i have the composition interveiw for the con, and then on thursday im going to audition for the newcastle con. And then the week after, on the dec 7 is my last audition - UWS!!! YAY!!

Im geting used to auditions now so im not that nervous! YAY! Ill just have to work real hard for the con audition for next week... arghh its way too soon!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
AHAHAHAH

that singing thing ahahaha i didnt know what the hell that was about??
I was unprepared for that.

They were like "sing a pop song then"

So i sung "how do i live"

How embarrassing....

you go trumpet_geek... you'll be great :)

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
huh? tim, at first you were worried about parties, and then your going on about how you want to go to parties? im confused. Anyway who cares.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
huh? tim, at first you were worried about parties, and then your going on about how you want to go to parties? im confused. Anyway who cares.

HAHAHHAHAHA.....

trumpet_geek, get you sexy ass on msn now.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
soz babe im on my bros computer so i cant go on msn! im so sory! But ill email you and ill prolly talk to you tomorow night!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You know if you get accepted to UNSW music, chances are your teacher will be a Con-based one, and you'll do your lesson at the Con once a week anyway?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
You know if you get accepted to UNSW music, chances are your teacher will be a Con-based one, and you'll do your lesson at the Con once a week anyway?
Hell I wanna be at the Con all the freakin time....

But yes, that sounds okay too....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I was actually tempted to transfer to UNSW music for a while, because they have a BA/BMus combined degree over 4 years, where USYD only offers a BA/BMusStudies over 5. But generally, a Con BMusStudies is worth more than a UNSW BMus, because the Con is far ahead of any other music school around in actual major study teaching. That's not to say that UNSW music isn't any good - I know of really good BMus students over there who actually turned down Con offers in favour of UNSW music.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
For composers though, the Composition program really excels over the other unis, though places like Wollongong (with Greg Schiemer) and USYD Main campus (with Anne Boyd/Matthew Hindson) are really good too. UNSW has, I believe, just one composer on staff, and they place a greater emphasis on performance for everybody. Another interesting alternative is the UWS Contemporary music program - they don't have the resources of the other universities, but their emphasis is unique, in that they study contemporary music with a popular focus.

Word of advice - don't say you like Matthew Hindson's music in the Con interview. One of the first things you'll cover in Australian Music Research, is the Smetanin-Hindson rivalry.

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Isn't that kind of unfair though? I mean, if you don't like Hindson, surely its better to be honest than to say you do?

What if you prefer Michael Smetanin? Can you say that, or is his name mud?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
He won't hold it against you, if that's what you mean.

But how comfortable would you be if somebody started saying wonderful things about your worst enemy?

Last edited:

aimstar555

HSC
I'm SOO glad a thread started up about this..
i auditioned 4 UNSW on tuesday arvo. i was happy with my performances considering they were all my HSC prac pieces. the aural was too easy, but the musicianship was slightly harder.
i heard at over 150 auditioned (finished today) and for the Bmus course, and they only take about 40-50 people . i'm goin for the Bmus/Beducation, which I KNOW will be less places. but hey i tried. i hava feeling i'm not wat they're looking 4 so....

does ne one know when we find out if we get in?? cause GOD i hope it's B4 the HSC results come out!! haha i doubt it though. peace out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)