Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (2 Viewers)

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
how did you guess my name !! :p, yeh i reacon ASIF you would want to be a music teacher AHHHH!!!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If you get an offer to the BMus (MusEd), you can easily transfer back into the BMus (Comp.). Transferring between majors at the Con is easy. It's transferring between other faculties in the University which is a bitch.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
If you get an offer to the BMus (MusEd), you can easily transfer back into the BMus (Comp.). Transferring between majors at the Con is easy. It's transferring between other faculties in the University which is a bitch.
Ah SHIT! Is it too late though? Cuz I ticked everything in the composition box EXCEPT Music education!......... mehhh i like filling out forms

EDIT: You know what, that's probably it! Not enough people doing education, so we give out forms for everyone so people like me who start to doubt everything and consider it!

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
how did you guess my name !! :p, yeh i reacon ASIF you would want to be a music teacher AHHHH!!!

excuse me Tim, who do you learn off? Yes, you learn of a TEACHER, you dont teach yourself. Music teachers are important, so stop being silly and immature. At least if you do music ed, your more likeley to be guaranteed a job once you complete the degree. But with performance, remember, theres only 8 trumpet jobs in sydney, and to get a spot in there is way too hard.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
excuse me Tim, who do you learn off? Yes, you learn of a TEACHER, you dont teach yourself. Music teachers are important, so stop being silly and immature. At least if you do music ed, your more likeley to be guaranteed a job once you complete the degree. But with performance, remember, theres only 8 trumpet jobs in sydney, and to get a spot in there is way too hard.
shit i was told!!!, umm i ment High School teaching, yes its a garenteed job, but argh!! i couldn;t stand teaching little shits like me all day every day :p, and joe you are forgetting Police, Army, Navy, and Air Force bands!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yes tim i feel very sorry for your music teacher to be teaching annoying little shits like yourself.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
yes tim i feel very sorry for your music teacher to be teaching annoying little shits like yourself.
thats not a very nice thing to say joe, im not that annoying... :(

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Joe, if you can't say anything nice/constructive, then please refrain from saying anything at all.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
Joe, if you can't say anything nice/constructive, then please refrain from saying anything at all.

Yes Mrs Ujuphleg your highness, anything you say. Because you hold the highly respected position of being the new moderator, i shall do whatever you tell me to.

miss_pixie

HSC
Just a question for anyone who wants to answer..

I'm not doin music in HSC at all cos when i chose subjects i wanted to head a totally dif path.. but anyways..
ive only done 5th grade AMEB prac for trumpet and only 2nd or 3rd grade theory.. im really out of practice for trumpet cos i picked up piano last yr and ive been slack with trumpet so i know i wont be able to get into the con..
is there another uni music course(at syd) i could do that would help me improve and give me a chance to extend myself and then later transfer to the con with an audition or something.. cos it would be a dream come true to go there.. even though i know ive probably got no chance :(

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
miss_pixie said:
Just a question for anyone who wants to answer..

I'm not doin music in HSC at all cos when i chose subjects i wanted to head a totally dif path.. but anyways..
ive only done 5th grade AMEB prac for trumpet and only 2nd or 3rd grade theory.. im really out of practice for trumpet cos i picked up piano last yr and ive been slack with trumpet so i know i wont be able to get into the con..
is there another uni music course(at syd) i could do that would help me improve and give me a chance to extend myself and then later transfer to the con with an audition or something.. cos it would be a dream come true to go there.. even though i know ive probably got no chance :(

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give

Generally the standard is pretty high for the Con. But you should try anyway. Otherwise, there's the BMus at UNSW, which is also a good course, but not as selective. There's the course at UWS, which is in fact probably a lot more appropriate. Also, the Australian Institute of Music, and the Australian International Conservatorium of Music (both shit).

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
hmmm maybe you could look at The Youth Access Program at syd con, its not a teritary course but its desingned to give ppl the skills in ensemble, solo and theory that are needed in any BMus course. It runs every saturday morning from 9am - 1pm so check it out!! :p also maybe look at either Music Studies or Dip Music both at the con, hope i helped! by the way I PLAY TRUMPET TOO!!!! :D:D

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
Syd Con Life?

Ive herd that syd con can get pretty crazy at times, eg parties all the time. this is a bit of a worry cause it looks like ppl don't think about music that much and just party hard... im sure their are differnt groups though that aren't as crazy as the rumours i've herd.

Calling all Syd Con students to spread some light on this situation... Phanatical i think your the only syd con rep at the moment..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
why on earth are you worried? if you're suggesting that those who party hard dont give a shit about music, thats a bit of generalising, dont you reckon? and it doesnt really affect you, not like the HSC where it will drag you down...

I think uni's a tad different to high school....

If you and I both get into the con, you'll see I'm one crazy idiot, but love music all the same.

anyway what are the rumours???

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The party environment at the Con ain't anything like that. In fact, there's aren't that many parties at all, since the Con is pretty well divided into instrumental groups (composers stick together, pianists stick together, strings stick together etc.)

What we Do have are the occasional drinks nights, and the harbour cruises. The CSA (Con Students Association), and SECS (Sydney Eclectic Composers Society) will occasionally get the funding from the University of Sydney Union to hold a drinks night, where for a token donation of $2, you get a few free drinks and some food at a local bar. The CSA also have its annual harbour cruise, which Does get a bit wild (or so I'm told - Con students, alcohol, boat... not something I wanna get mixed up in).

You'll find that the musical culture of the Con dominates pretty much all of these. Even at the drinks nights, everybody's talking about music. If there's one thing the Con student body can't be accused of, it's forgetting about music.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
lol, maybe im not that worried :p i need to get a few good parties into me after HSC :D. i know uni ppl tend to party alot more than high schoolers but ive herd the con does alot more..

Like having parites in the Con Cafe, ahaha and they had to get the carpet cleaned from the vomit and upon entry to this party you had to drink a shot, but is true. not a rumour.

Im not really that concerned, i just want to get a insiders perspective of Con Life!! :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm finding it hard to imagine going crazy at the Con Cafe. But okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)