Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
hey ujuphleg i kno u wana keep the music forum clean n tidy etc but like i think u combined too many threads together in this one... like the topic is now way too broad esp how u combined non sydney con stuff with sydney con stuff oh well
yeh!! whats going on ujuphleg, this thread is WAY to broad now. we need to keep it all seperate. but you are doing a good job i admit.. apart from this :D

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My high school music teacher is following me to the Con. Actually he's just been appointed Deputy Principal of the Con High. It's a big leap going from Girraween music to Con High music - for one thing, they know what they're doing at the Con High.

magician

HSC
Hey, has anyone here been accepted into the Queensland Con? Or is anyone thinking about going in 2006?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Queensland Conservatorium bill themselves as "Australia's leading tertiary music institution".

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No.

Realistically, the "Best" music insitution in Australia is the Sydney Conservatorium, if only because its prestige attracts the most talented students and lecturers.

magician

HSC
Phanatical: at the Sydney Con can you do double degrees, for example B Music/B Arts? I'm interested in mabye attending the Con in 2006.

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
magician said:
Phanatical: at the Sydney Con can you do double degrees, for example B Music/B Arts? I'm interested in mabye attending the Con in 2006.
Nope but you can do a Bmus studies/Arts combined degree. They used to have the Bmus/Arts double degree at Sydney Uni but they dont have it anymore. The con doesnt like double degrees - u can do them, but they dont encourage it... they would rather u concentrate on one degree and make sure u do really well in that.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
No.

Realistically, the "Best" music insitution in Australia is the Sydney Conservatorium, if only because its prestige attracts the most talented students and lecturers.
Yeah you mean generally though. But for particular instruments other places are better... eg newcastle has an excellent woodwind department, and Canbera school of music is probably best for brass players.

magician

HSC
Damn! That would have been good. I really wanted to do B Mus/ B Arts so that I could do music and psychology. Looks like I'll have to do them seperately. *sigh*

jessabelle080

When do we find out?

Does anyone know when the acceptance things come in the mail? cause supposedly someone my mum's friend's daughter knows got a letter. I haven't checked the mail for 2 weeks though, cause i've been on holidays. Really really nervous now!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
jessabelle080 said:
Does anyone know when the acceptance things come in the mail? cause supposedly someone my mum's friend's daughter knows got a letter. I haven't checked the mail for 2 weeks though, cause i've been on holidays. Really really nervous now!!
what acceptance thing? r u talking about the university offers or the acceptance letters from the institutions? and if so, which - the con???

see ujuphleg this thread is now way too broad and its hard to understand what people are talking about.

So far ive recieved acceptance letters from UNSW and Newcastle con. But not all institutions send out acceptance letters. Aaaaand - UNSW is not a conservatorium so this is exactly why this thread should be separated into the Sydney conservatorium stuff and other stuff

The main round offers come out on the 19th of jan so they havnt come out yet so dont get nervous jesabelle!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
magician said:
Damn! That would have been good. I really wanted to do B Mus/ B Arts so that I could do music and psychology. Looks like I'll have to do them seperately. *sigh*

yeah some poeple i know have just got their bmus/arts degree and this other person i know is doing their honours this year. If only we did the hsc a few years ago then we woulda been able to do it too! o well

magician

HSC
Stupid 2004 HSC....meh

trumpet geek said:
yeah some poeple i know have just got their bmus/arts degree and this other person i know is doing their honours this year. If only we did the hsc a few years ago then we woulda been able to do it too! o well
Yeah, I wish I had of done the HSC in 2001. I would have got a higher UAI, aaannddd I would have been able to do the double degree. Oh well, that's that.

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A
No....

Phanatical said:
No.

Actually....NO...Realistically the best music institution in Australia is the Australian National Academy of Music (ANAM) in Melbourne.

The standard of its students far surpasses all other music institutions in the country. ANAM takes on no more than a total 45 students a year, in order to ensure the quality of education and of their students is high.

ANAM has no fees and actually pay their students $200 a week so as they have more time to practice and not have to worry about working whilst studying.

ANAM regularly has international soloists and ensembles as visiting artists in residence, including Steven Isserlis. Richard Tognetti and the Tokyo string quartet for 2005.

ANAM students regularly perform as soloists with the Melbourne symphony.

The majority of the students are post-graduate thus the quality of their skills is superb.

ANAM hosts over 90 public concerts a year giving their students extensive practice at public performance.

So in conclusion,

ANAM is the "best" music institution as it, unlike the Con, relies on its quality, not petty "prestige" to attract the best students and lecturers.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
YAY i got into CON!!! :D:D:D:D:D woot!! BMUS Perf 1st YEAR 2005 :D:D:D EVERYONE COME TO MY 18th!! 1ST MARCH WILL ORGANISE ON ORIENTATION DAY :D:D :D BUT RIGHT NOW I'VE GOTTA ACCEPT MY OFFER :D:D:D

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
timyates_87 said:
YAY i got into CON!!! :D:D:D:D:D woot!! BMUS Perf 1st YEAR 2005 :D:D:D EVERYONE COME TO MY 18th!! 1ST MARCH WILL ORGANISE ON ORIENTATION DAY :D:D :D BUT RIGHT NOW I'VE GOTTA ACCEPT MY OFFER :D:D:D
yay!!!!! CONGRATS TIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and yay, I made it into Dipmusic, Transferring into Bach Second year

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)