Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
okay, I'm taking it that you're all doing auditions.

What about interviews for you upcoming composers?

Seeing as though I've picked composition for every elective in music 2 and ext, I'm more than ready to hand in 3 compositions (seeing as though I've done 4 in total)... but I'm incredibly intimidated by the other people out there... I no NO ONE who is doing B Music (composition).... Why: because I quit piano because my beautiful piano teacher left the country when I was a wee kid at Grade 4.

So any composers out there????

I would love to swap wma's mp3's or midi's of your compositions and be all impressed with your work. Oh, and MAN DO I WANT TO GO TO THE CON!!! I've snuck into lectures with a friend that goes there, and I love it!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
yes yes!!! me!!! Ive applied for 4 different courses at the Sydney Con -
here are thems in my UAC preference order-
1. performance
3. composition
4. education
8. bmus studies/arts

im going to submit my 2 unit core and 2 unit elective compositions.... and im working on my 3rd piece... i wrote some gay 2 minute violin sonata last year which i might chuck in... and also im working on a double flute concerto right now which i will hand in if i get if finished on time... i would love to swap comps with ya and listen yours and also recive sum constructive criticism for mine as well

tollo

Hi all just to let you know - I've finished school and am in the wider world.

I know heaps of people currently studying in different places.

For jazz
- WAAPA is fucking awesome (most reckon better than syd)
- SYD Con is good too and definately getting better under new direciton
- Canberra awesome

- UMelb and UQld courses have heard mediocure things

For Classical
- Cant go wrong with Syd Con

Ps - If i've helped you with career decisions, vote 4 me to get kickedout of home @: http://www.onthehouse.com.au/finalist.aspx?c_id=17

:)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
trumpet geek said:
yes yes!!! me!!! Ive applied for 4 different courses at the Sydney Con -
here are thems in my UAC preference order-
1. performance
3. composition
4. education
8. bmus studies/arts

im going to submit my 2 unit core and 2 unit elective compositions.... and im working on my 3rd piece... i wrote some gay 2 minute violin sonata last year which i might chuck in... and also im working on a double flute concerto right now which i will hand in if i get if finished on time... i would love to swap comps with ya and listen yours and also recive sum constructive criticism for mine as well

Cool! The only way I know how to swap anything os through msn so I'll send you my email address. I wont be on til thursday cuz my comp has been screwed over and it'll be aaaaaall good by then...

I elected everything you had except education lol. Maybe we'll eventually bump heads, that is... if we both make it...

*feels uncertain about myself getting into the con*

Hopefully we're the only two people who wanna compose at the con. I can just see it now. This long line of performers.... and then "You want to compose?!?! You're IN!"

Speak to you soon!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:

Hopefully we're the only two people who wanna compose at the con. I can just see it now. This long line of performers.... and then "You want to compose?!?! You're IN!"

Speak to you soon!
hehe dont worry you'll make it!!! I know my friend wants to go there too for composition... he's an amazing composer!! So that makes three of us!! YAY!!

Aparently the composers at the con spend all day at the studio and they turn into nerds and they dont migle with the rest of the con students cos they become isolated from them... hehehe!!! well thats what i heard from my friend anyway! Im sure its not true! .....i hope!

How mad would it be to like write an orchestral piece and get the con orchestra to play it!! That whole composer/performer workshop thing sounds soooo exciting!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:

Speak to you soon!
hehe dont worry you'll make it!!! I know my friend wants to go there too for composition... he's an amazing composer!! So that makes three of us!! YAY!!

Aparently the composers at the con spend all day at the studio and they turn into nerds and they dont migle with the rest of the con students cos they become isolated from them... hehehe!!! well thats what i heard from my friend anyway! Im sure its not true! .....i hope!

How mad would it be to like write an orchestral piece and get the con orchestra to play it!! That whole composer/performer workshop thing sounds soooo exciting!!!

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A
String players?

Are there many string players that check these boards?

Hmm... i havent seen too many around...

The audition program needed for the Major Level peformance for violin is crazy... especially when i have to polish up a new program just after doing my Music2 and Extension program! grrrr!

Oh and as someone posted before... all you need to know about what u have to play/sing blah blah whatever is on this page... NB: Only for the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

http://www.usyd.edu.au/conmusic/tertiary_b.html

And i thought i would have a little whinge and list all the stuff i have to play :)

a) Technical requirements:

Applicants should prepare scales, arpeggios (including dominant and diminished) and standard double stops (3rds, 6ths, 8ves) for at least one key of their choice from a scales system according to their current level of individual technical proficiency and background. - the applicant may be asked to demonstrate different bowings in any three octave scale of their choice.
one study to demonstrate technical ability, for example:
Violin - Kreutzer, Fiorillo, Rode, Dont Opus 35, or any more difficult study
Viola - as above or a study by Campagnoli
Violoncello - Piatti, Popper or Grutzmacher.

b) Prepared program:

two contrasting movements of a Bach solo work
a fast and slow movement of a concerto from the standard repertoire
one short 20th century work - either a piece, or a movement of a sonata.

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A
Bunny04 are you that chick who plays Cello in the SBSYO with "Bunny" on their year 12 jersey?

umm... blonde hair (i think :confused: )

Cos everything leads to me thinking that u are :uhhuh:

i like this smiley :eek:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Bunny04 said:
Eeekkk , yeah a whole new program after Music 2 and Extension. Damn AUdition pieces, i have to learn a concerto and Grutzmacher, and Shostakovich sonata and Scales and Bach and GAH....... lol sorry for outburst
oh i LOVE the shostakovich cello sonata !!!!!! ohhhh i wish i could play the cello

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A
haha me to...

The 2nd Movement is my favourite... hmm... its probably the most polular too but its really cool....

Haha i tried playing that on my friends cello. the cool harmonics bit where (in thumb position i think ???) u slide up and down on the neck...

man i suck!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
trumpet geek said:
oh i LOVE the shostakovich cello sonata !!!!!! ohhhh i wish i could play the cello
GAH!! trumpet_geek wishing she was a string player?!

*falls of chair*

whats goin on mate?! :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh i love the cello! and yeah my friend played the shosta cello sonata for his HSC and it sounded awsome!!! I am totally in love with the Haydn Cello concerto and i really wana learn how to play cello but since i cant i just play it on my trumpet hehehe!

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A

Bunny04 said:
someone has Mathew Krell conducting in there siggy
haha

"He is everwhere..."

*cough*

aaanyway... who else from SBS is on the forums? I know james (cello) is... ummm.... who else?

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
=Mike B= said:
haha
aaanyway... who else from SBS is on the forums? I know james (cello) is... ummm.... who else?
haha krel... gotta love him...........

hmm i was in sbs last year. well i still am but i cant play at the moment so i havent been able to do any concerts this year... but fingers crossed i'll be back! :eek:
what do u play? soz i havent really read through this thread properly..

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
LOL, i have him on my sig but unfortunatly im not in the GREAT SBSYO, but hopefully next year, i play trumpet by the way... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)