Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

=Mike B=

HSC
N/A
hmm.... the audition isnt really thaaaaaat easy...

i played 2 contrasting pieces, Czardas by Monti and i think Romanza by Moazart and i had to play a few scales... what i remember is krel seeing that i could produce nice tone and i could make good sound from my instrument. i thought he would make me do some sight reading but there wasnt any... mind you this was i think this time 2 years ago....

But he places emphasis that it is a fast working orchestra and when you rock up to the first rehersal (like first first) there is a sense of professoinalism and all that crap... and the standard of playing is pretty high... as u would expect. meaning that Mathew Krel would want every member to understand every piece they are playing and the stlye and background history etc... and he usually tells us that too... hahaha in his unique sense of humor ;)

most of the people are usually 17+ (except a handful) so i think it is a much better and mature orchestra than SYO...

oh and we play cool things so there :p lol nah sorry mybad im not goint to start any arguments...

[NB: sorry for kinda going off topic]

ez_19... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii know who u are! u play clarinet, ur a chick, long brown hair... umm... about my height... lol... hmm well i think thats u. u must have no idea who i am... :)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
=Mike B= said:
hmm.... the audition isnt really thaaaaaat easy...

i played 2 contrasting pieces, Czardas by Monti and i think Romanza by Moazart and i had to play a few scales... what i remember is krel seeing that i could produce nice tone and i could make good sound from my instrument. i thought he would make me do some sight reading but there wasnt any... mind you this was i think this time 2 years ago....

But he places emphasis that it is a fast working orchestra and when you rock up to the first rehersal (like first first) there is a sense of professoinalism and all that crap... and the standard of playing is pretty high... as u would expect. meaning that Mathew Krel would want every member to understand every piece they are playing and the stlye and background history etc... and he usually tells us that too... hahaha in his unique sense of humor ;)

most of the people are usually 17+ (except a handful) so i think it is a much better and mature orchestra than SYO...

oh and we play cool things so there :p lol nah sorry mybad im not goint to start any arguments...

[NB: sorry for kinda going off topic]

ez_19... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii know who u are! u play clarinet, ur a chick, long brown hair... umm... about my height... lol... hmm well i think thats u. u must have no idea who i am... :)
Unique sense of humour? Lol ..

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Entrance to the Conservatorium is based on three areas:

in Performance:
Audition/Interview

in Musicology/Music Ed/Composition:
Portfolio/Interview

This one is the biggy, as it's where the Lecturers will find out what type of person you are, and what type of musician you are. At my interview for Composition, I went off on a big rant about how the HSC was full of shit, and how my Legal Studies, or my Physics mark counts towards my eligibility for Music. Luckily, my now-teachers agreed with me.

The second part is the Music Skills Test. This Does count, as there is assumed knowledge - however, the last part of the test will only apply to streaming in Aural Perception and Harmony and Analysis classes for Semester 1 next year.

And of course, the UAI. In the BMus/BMusEd/BMusStudies, you will need Music 2 to have counted to the UAI, however the 80 cutoff is a myth - most of my classmates managed 60 UAI's, but higher marks in the Music 2 course).

(For the BA/BMusStudies which is run partly on the Main campus of the University of Sydney, you will need to meet the cutoff for the Bachelor of Arts, but if you don't you could still get in. My UAI was 75.4, and I got an offer to the BA in the final round, with the cut off at 82.5.)

Hope this helps.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
trumpet geek said:
hehe dont worry you'll make it!!! I know my friend wants to go there too for composition... he's an amazing composer!! So that makes three of us!! YAY!!

Aparently the composers at the con spend all day at the studio and they turn into nerds and they dont migle with the rest of the con students cos they become isolated from them... hehehe!!! well thats what i heard from my friend anyway! Im sure its not true! .....i hope!

How mad would it be to like write an orchestral piece and get the con orchestra to play it!! That whole composer/performer workshop thing sounds soooo exciting!!!
Composition students are a close-knit group at the Con, but we're all great friends with performers and the like - how else do we get players for our works?? You might be interested in www.secsmusic.org - the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society is the resident Composer's society at the Sydney Conservatorium.

As for Composer Performer Workshop, the next CPW concert is Wednesday 3 November in the Music Workshop. Not sure about the time, but the details will be on the website soon enough.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Composition students are a close-knit group at the Con, but we're all great friends with performers and the like - how else do we get players for our works?? You might be interested in www.secsmusic.org - the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society is the resident Composer's society at the Sydney Conservatorium.

As for Composer Performer Workshop, the next CPW concert is Wednesday 3 November in the Music Workshop. Not sure about the time, but the details will be on the website soon enough.
What was the composition interview like? What kind of stuff did they ask you? Cos i changed all my UAC preferences and like Bmus comp at the con is now my 2nd preference

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The composition interview is informal, and they'll just ask you stuff about why you want to do this course, and what you've done before, and all the boring stuff. It's just a way for the lecturers to get to know you in person. You should do fine, it's the portfolio which is really important. You'll be expected to be able to answer questions about your compositions (why did you do such-and-such in bar 84 etc.), but that's basically the same stuff you'd talk about in your program notes.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh oh oh and also, if you play an instrument and you do the Bmus comp course, do you still get to play it and stuff? Do you get too busy with the composing that you dont have time to play your instrument? Cos i still wana play trumpet heaps

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Not so much in the course, but certainly in our SECS concerts, and in Performance Practice. It's also Theoretically possible to take an instrumental minor, but nobody I know does.

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
Con Audition Date Released!!

Hey guys, just got my con audition date in the mail, has anyone else revieced one yet??, im on Tuesday 30th November so im guessing brass will be one of the first to be auditioned...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Awwww.... I haven't yet........

Possibly because I haven't handed in my compositions yet

TEE HEE!

By the way, all you composers, they're due soon.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
UuuuUUuummm

I just got the letter (wow I feel really special for some reason!)

My interview is on the 30th November as well! At 9:30am... (a little early!)

So not just brass first up. I'm piano, except I'm submitting some compositions...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You're submitting compositions for the piano component? Or you're interviewing for Composition?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
You're submitting compositions for the piano component? Or you're interviewing for Composition?
Nah I'm interviewing for composition :D

I have NO idea why I said that I'm piano!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Hey... just a question...

They sent me a "Music Education" questionare.

I didn't tick Music education... (or did I? I'm getting scared now) Was that standard or should I worry and call em up?

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
don't worry i got it as well and i didn't tick education, i don't know why they sent it out to everyone ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)