Constant speed of light (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ok i'll post my thoughts on this... i think it'll fit... if the twin paradox thing works. because all you are doing is transforming the percieved distance, length into percieved time. so if this percieved time affects human aging i don't see why it would not affect the actual length of the train at that speed. so it'll fit. :)

edit: does that make sense to you?

Wohzazz

HSC
Hypothetically....
i mean for that INSTANT, would the train fit in the tunnel?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I dont think it will, because you would have to occupy the same point in space-time relative to the train (ie the tunnel shrinks so to build the wall you will have to build through the train)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Xayma
I dont think it will, because you would have to occupy the same point in space-time relative to the train (ie the tunnel shrinks so to build the wall you will have to build through the train)
but you have to realise the SPEED has made the two share a different time in space. in my mind the law of themodydamics still applies here... hahaha... time is length in a different form. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes but relative to the train it never fits entirely in the tunnell, so to try and block off the ends would cut the train into segments.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
whose frame is it are you takinf for the tunnel to be blocked, while the fron and the back being shut may appear simultaneous for the observer on the tunnel it wont b for the train

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Come someone please explain to me why we are discussing physics that isnt required of us at midnight during the christmas holidays?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ok Wohzazz, don't worry about what others say. i know what you mean.

if you know the twin paradox situation... the twins age differently when they are travelling at different speed. but they return to the same rate of aging when they are at the same speed relative to each other again... its just that one is so much other than the other because the difference in aging before.

so with the distance thing samething applies, this length has to be REAL if this time was real as well according to the twin paradox situation, so it'll fit if its speeding at a real fast SPEED. my answer is it will fit. ok??? any thoughts Wohzazz?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But if you block off the ends of the tunnel, the train will have to stop returning to the same frame of reference as the observer, which would require its length to be greater then that of the tunnell, since the train is indestructible the walls must break

abdooooo!!!

Banned
But if you block off the ends of the tunnel, the train will have to stop returning to the same frame of reference as the observer, which would require its length to be greater then that of the tunnell, since the train is indestructible the walls must break
hahaha... who doesn't know that? all Wohzazz wanted to know is whether this length contraction is actually physical or just a percieved thing... if you know what i mean. :p

edit: just like the twin paradox... they actually age differently so its physical... but has anyone done any actual experiment into it?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
What would the point of blocking off the tunnel then unless you want to convert large amounts of kinetic energy to heat energy.

They have done experiments on the twins paradox, its just time dilation. Length dilation gets a little more complex however, because it is a "physical" thing, you can block off areas of space, not time.

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
isnt everything physical a perception?
lets not argue that here... philosophy is just too much. :p

What would the point of blocking off the tunnel then unless you want to convert large amounts of kinetic energy to heat energy.
how can you mearsure it then? with a camera then use a ruler? hahaha... thats 100% percieved.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ROFL, so if I shot in front of you while you were under length dilation, so that relative to me you dont get hit, but relative to you, you get shot in the head. Do you die or not? Oh yeah when the bullet passes that point in space, if you werent moving you would have been shot.

edit: can we test it?

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ROFL, so if I shot in front of you while you were under length dilation, so that relative to me you dont get hit, but relative to you, you get shot in the head. Do you die or not?

i don't know... thats what im wondering about? seriously if that twin paradox thing is real then it should work like that. weird. :p

edit: test it? hahaha i'll shoot you at different speeds and see what will happen eh?

this is one of them matrix things i suppose... they slow down time LOL :p

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
lets not argue that here... philosophy is just too much. :p

how can you mearsure it then? with a camera then use a ruler? hahaha... thats 100% percieved.
i mean all the relativistic effects are preceptions from relative frames. you cant agree that there are some concrete absolute 'physical' state

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
i mean all the relativistic effects are preceptions from relative frames. you can agree that there are some concrete absolute 'physical' state
but did i not say "IF" twin paradox situation is REAL? there are some? its fully concrete if its real... unless you are looking from a philosophical point of view.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
ROFL, so if I shot in front of you while you were under length dilation, so that relative to me you dont get hit, but relative to you, you get shot in the head. Do you die or not? Oh yeah when the bullet passes that point in space, if you werent moving you would have been shot.

practically the guy will move past before the bullet reaches him :p

..... when the pt in space is same the time isnt is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)