Contest by Matthew Reilly (Matthew Reilly thread) (1 Viewer)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Buy some then! get perscription wraparound anti flash glasses... lol, thatd be soooo cool.

Yeah, i know what you mean. sometimes the ! add to the excitement and sometimes i just yell at the book "You dont need a fucking exclamation mark there! we get that it was a close shave!"

Last edited:

Ranadheer

HSC
N/A
Matthew reilly

I have read seven Wonders of the world and its great. can anyone please send me other books of matthew reilly.

Thanks in advance.

Ranadheer
kranadheer@gmail.com

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Re: Mathew Reiley

who's read Hell Island? Too bad they don't sell it, i wanna read...

-P_D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Re: Mathew Reiley

You're not missing much, Dilemma. It's basically a few scenes lifted from each of the Schofield books with apes in the place of the French. The quality of the books has been a bit downcast lately; I hope he hasn't peaked too soon. His next book is a direct sequel to Seven Ancient Wonders, working title Six Sacred Stones. Hope they're paying him extra for those creative titles ...

turtleface

HSC
yeah I thought 7 ancient wonders was crap compared to his other books (still ok though as a book overall). I liked Hell Island better. Hell, I even liked hovercar racer better.

I got my book signed when it came out lol, but I forgot to bring my other books to get them signed

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Matthew Reilly books are a great read - quick, easy, and amazingly shallow. I can not even begin to imagine how you can consider his books deep and insightful in any level. Please don't, you will only be embarassing yourself.

J

jhakka

Aznpsycho said:
Matthew Reilly books are a great read - quick, easy, and amazingly shallow. I can not even begin to imagine how you can consider his books deep and insightful in any level. Please don't, you will only be embarassing yourself.
It's for these reasons that I love his work. He doesn't pretend to be anything more. Thoroughly entertaining without having to work too hard. Absolutely brilliant when your brain is absolutely fucked from uni work and you just need some time out. :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
As the man himself said, it's "pure escapism". Nothing more, nothing less.

HSC
N/A
Ocker said:
Yes, I really like Reilly.

I picked up Ice Station and Contest 2 weeks ago at the book exchange (my favourite place :D), and have read them both.

I thought they were very good.
What book exchange? (Second hand booksales rock.)

Ice Station and Area 7 were both pretty good. Those books are good for long bus/plane/train trips. =)

Jazhanger

HSC
:wave:In my opinion his books are such a hit in our generation is based on the exposure we are of such violence in his books. I have read all but one (Hover Car Racers), in every single one contain brutal killings/murders of innocent/bad people. I simply love the fact Reilly can fit so much "FUN" in his books. I can't wait until the movie of CONTEST comes out.

IMO:
The best book out of the 10ish (I think) would be ICE STATION, it was so action packed.
The most shocking SCARECROW
The turndown: HELL ISLAND, it was written in a day so that compensates for the quallity. (I think it was written in a day)

What do you guys rate his books???:wave:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Scarecrow wasn't shocking. "Disappointing" would probably be a better word; Reilly tried to fit so much action into it that it grew monotonous. For what it was, it was a decent read, but it paled in comparison to the other Schofield books. And that scene in the bottom of Killian's castle (you know the one I mean) was hardly shocking; I thought the character involved was simply weakened compared to appearances in the previous two books. That said, I though Scarecrow was better than Area 7.

I don't really think much of Hell Island. If you head over to The Presidian Fan Forums, you'll see most of us don't consider it to be canon as some of the sequences are lifted directly from Scarecrow and changed slightly (particularly the sequence involving the helicopter and the aircraft catapult).

sunnydreama

HSC
- Temple (Renco love. Bassario love.)
- Scarecrow (Knight love. Delacroix love.)
- Contest (Battle Royale-esque - I know this was written before BR - love)
- Ice Station (Better than Area 7)
- Area 7 (Was so predictable)
- Seven Ancient Wonders (Urgh. Glad I only borrowed this from my library)
- Hovercar Racer (What can I say? I'm a gore hound.)

- Hell Island (Although that line "And the apes went, well, apeshit." has got to be the most brilliant thing I've seen in a published work).

I want another Race book. Or a Knight one.

jamienumber9

HSC
N/A
I started reading 7 Ancient wonders and to be honest, I can't see how it was a success. I thought it was horrible, and simply couldn't go on with it.

It seemed like the script to one of those action movies that comes around every now and then that stars someone like Vin Diesel, has a million adverts and trailers and tons of hype. But then of course, you get into the cinema and start watching the movie, only to be distracted of the far more interesting challenge of trying to insert your entire fist into your own mouth.

Well, that's what it was like for me anyway, but, to each their own.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Well, you've just got to accept it that that's the way he writes. Personally, as much as I love his books, I don't like the way he writes them. But if you go in thinking it's going to read like a Vin Diesel or Tom Cruise film - ie brain out, foot down - you can enjoy them.

sofimac16

HSC
I just finished reading Scarecrow and I was so upset when SHE died! I can't believe that he would kill her! Poor Scarecrow...hope he makes another in the Shane Schofeild series!

Oh does everyone know that his new book comes out this year? It follows on from Seven Ancient Wonders! Unfortunately its coming out in October (I think!) which means its coming out when the HSC is on! Then again it could come out during the hols. I can't remember the exact date or the name of the book!

Last edited by a moderator:

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Belle said:
Anyone who hasn't read Scarecrow DO NOT read further!

The only thing I found crap about Scarecrow was the killing of a much-loved character!! That was very sad. Otherwise I thought it was just as good as the others although Contest is still my favourite. Apparently someone's bought the movie rights to it so that will be interesting to see.
Haha yeah it was a shame to kill of Libby, but up till now the main characters have all been very much immortal, performing impossible tasks. I guess Reilly's throwing a touch of stark realism in that no one is safe in his stories. Can't wait for his next book to come out :D

Movie rights? OOOH hope it comes out soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
sofimac16 said:
I just finished reading Scarecrow and I was so upset when SHE died! I can't believe that he would kill her! Poor Scarecrow...hope he makes another in the Shane Schofeild series!

Oh does everyone know that his new book comes out this year? It follows on from Seven Ancient Wonders! Unfortunately its coming out in October (I think!) which means its coming out when the HSC is on! Then again it could come out during the hols. I can't remember the exact date or the name of the book!
It won't come out until Novermber/December. It's called The Six Sacred Stones.
201055 said:
Haha yeah it was a shame to kill of Libby, but up till now the main characters have all been very much immortal, performing impossible tasks. I guess Reilly's throwing a touch of stark realism in that no one is safe in his stories. Can't wait for his next book to come out :D

Movie rights? OOOH hope it comes out soon :D
It won't be. Reilly shot ten minutes of Contest in an effort to encourage a movie studio to pick it up (think: Die Hard with aliens), but nothing came of it. He optioned off Ice Station, but it went into Development Hell; a script was never finalised. Hover Car Racer was also optioned by Disney, but there's no word on it.

However, Reilly has written the pilot for a new American TV series called Literary Superstars which follows Dharma & Greg's Jenna Elfman as a publicist who has to deal with writers in trying to sell their books; no doubt Reilly's story will make it in somehow.

^bindy^

HSC
mathew rilley

whats everyones favourite mathew rilley books
ive read a few but trying to figure out which one to read next

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)