Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Getting the vaccine is like getting the flu vaccine, it's only for the hypochondriacs.
Nah, almost every decently sized workplace in Australia does on site flu vaccines and encourages them because it makes sense economically for businesses. It will be similar with the covid vaccine and boosters.

A single anecdotal example of your cousin doesn't carry any more weight than the examples of fatalities or hospitalisations in the media. Some people are going to asymptomatic, some people are going to be affected worse.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
just my opinion btw (i probs sound like some federal propagandist, but this isn’t political, it’s just a matter of common sense)
i mean i hate the federal gov and i still got my vaxx, it's a matter of what the options are (Δ is simply too transmissible for it to ever go to 0 without a legitimate hard lockdown which is never happening)

notme123

HSC
There have been 1,019 deaths from COVID-19 in Australia, out of 56,565 cases (1/56 chance)
Sorry, but I think this is completely wrong. How many of those cases died WITH and not FROM. Not considering comorbidities and age inflates this statistic out of proportion, relative to the total popluace demographic. In addition, contracting corona (I hate to say it but it's partially true) just accelerated inevitable deaths for terminally ill patients who already had their days numbered. Furthermore, the current PCR test Australia currently uses is the most sensitive to any viral detection in the world. Not all of these deaths could have necessarily had the coronavirus.

HSC
Sorry, but I think this is completely wrong. How many of those cases died WITH and not FROM. Not considering comorbidities and age inflates this statistic out of proportion, relative to the total popluace demographic. In addition, contracting corona (I hate to say it but it's partially true) just accelerated inevitable deaths for terminally ill patients who already had their days numbered. Furthermore, the current PCR test Australia currently uses is the most sensitive to any viral detection in the world. Not all of these deaths could have necessarily had the coronavirus.
All the points you make are reasonable, and I apologies for not counting those.

I don't think it changes my viewpoint though. (Exaggerating here) lets say just 10% of those deaths were of otherwise fully healthy people, and 90% fell into other categories such as terminal illness or false reporting. That still puts the chance of death at 1/560 which is many orders of magnitude higher than the vaccine.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
wish all these new ppl here would go back to reddit
why's that

but I must say reddit is a very good source of relevant covid updates/information and the discussions that happen in the comments are also v good, just more profanity compared to this thread

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I guess now it feels like a question of, “if there are 1000 skittles in a bowl, and only one of them is known to cause certain death, would you still willingly take one from the bowl?”
This is not a good analogy, in my view, because the risk associated with not taking a skittle is zero. The risk of not getting vaccinated is a potentially much more serious infection with the chance of long-term consequences, and some possibility of dying.

Modifying your analogy, let's say this is about the risks of an aircraft accident (and keeping your numbers for the sake of simplicity). You can take a skittle with a 1 in a 1000 chance of dying (ie. get on a plane to travel overseas)... or you can not take it but never travel overseas. Adding in a consequence from a choice not to take the skittle makes a big difference.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The people who compile statistics and look at causes of death are well aware of the difference between dying with something and dying from it. Further, there are plenty of situations where the immediate cause of death is not the disease that is nevertheless the proximal cause of death. Take a patient with AIDS whose immune system has been seriously compromised. That patient may die from a 'flu infection but it was the compromised immune system that made the 'flu infection lethal, and to attribute the death to 'flu and ignore the HIV-infection and its effects on the immune system so as to claim that the death was not (colloquially) "dying from AIDS" would be disingenuous.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Another thing to consider is that the empirical case fatality rates are inclusive of the effects of mitigation measures (e.g. hospital interventions, masks, vaccines, lockdowns). You cannot reliably extrapolate that this same empirical case fatality rate is also a true representation of the virus’ impact without mitigation.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
(0121235's argument) is not completely wrong, it is just over simplistic or a generalisation on the justification on taking the vaccine (not on the stats itself); because the decision to take the vaccine is not just weighing up the risk of death; there are other (whether justifiable) factors that may into the decision. Some may be vaccine hesitant, concerned that the vaccine hasn't gone through sufficient time of testing and the like.
(But the underlying statistics are correct)

Whilst age and present of pre-existing conditions increase the risk of death, that is the case for most infectious diseases / risk. When averaged out though it still comes out to about a 1/56 chance of death.

The question "How many of those cases died WITH and not FROM." imho, is only relevant is if we presume false reporting (in terms of deaths falsely attributed to COVID when the actual cause of death is irrelevant of death; note I would think there is ambiguity with terminally ill patients that already; if COVID contributed to their decline then the death can be attributed to COVID amongst other factors). Imho, there needs to be strong evidence to justify presumption of false reporting / malice. If cause of death is being reported accurately then this kind of a unconvincing point.

Furthermore, the current PCR test Australia currently uses is the most sensitive to any viral detection in the world.
Do you have sources for this?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Double doses can grant herd immunity. And if herd immunity applies then we can stop transmission of the disease and thus it’s mutation rate.
Yes and no. Double doses can help assist immune response to the disease yes and reduce hospitalization rates; but some viruses mutate at a faster rate than we are producing vaccines for, and there is already talk of new variants in South America; so the ability of vaccines to guarantee immunity in all cases is not a given. (You can refer to Israel as a case example in point, whereby there is talk of a need for a triple dose)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Well there is now a C.1.2 COVID variant originating form South Africa.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
why's that

but I must say reddit is a very good source of relevant covid updates/information and the discussions that happen in the comments are also v good, just more profanity compared to this thread
no its not

redditors are the absolute scum of the world. humanity will not progress until every one of them is rounded up and made to choke to death on their demented little funko pop dolls

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
this wouldn't have happened if we just nuked china like ive been saying for years
Killing millions or even a billion people is not a reasonable response to the pandemic nor to any events in our recent past. Such an act would be a massive crime against humanity.

Further, viruses exist all over the world, they mutate and evolve all over the world, they make leaps between species all over the world. Even if you buy the theories that COVID emerged from the Wuhan Institute, viruses are being studied all over the world and accidents can happen anywhere. MERS was also a coronavirus and did not emerge from China.

Casually suggesting that mass murder of Chinese people by using nuclear weapons is in some way acceptable or preferable to the current pandemic is outrageous and extremely offensive. Do not make such a suggestion again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)