Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I want it to become safe enough so that gyms can open :(
Outdoor gyms are open, there's one next to my home and it has like pull-ups and like a stationary bike.

But not the same as an actual gym.

I NEED TO BURN OFF THOSE UBER EATS MEALS! :cry:
lol same I’m keen for gyms to reopen. Just hope it doesn’t get too crowded...

Potato Sticks

HSC
Haha yeah they’re going really ambitious everywhere. I suspected the national government pushed more than the states wanted.

Maybe they want to end up with a budget surplus? They’re reducing jobkeeper and all already and lifting restrictions so they can dump the whole thing.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Maybe they want to end up with a budget surplus? They’re reducing jobkeeper and all already and lifting restrictions so they can dump the whole thing.
Latest news was that there was a significant error in the calculations and the cost of JobKeeper is about half of what was expected.

They blamed employers for filling in the form incorrectly, but I believe the initial budget was released long before any employers got involved.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Latest news was that there was a significant error in the calculations and the cost of JobKeeper is about half of what was expected.

They blamed employers for filling in the form incorrectly, but I believe the initial budget was released long before any employers got involved.
I think the reporting error is about the actual number who are currently on JobKeeper. The Treasurer claimed last week that around 6 million employees have actually signed up for it (which is in line with their budget projection).

However, turns out the actual number actually wasn’t anywhere near that apparently due to about 1000 employers who incorrectly populated the number of employees with the number of dollars they’re expected to get.

With the error corrected they now realise that the actual number on the scheme is well short of what they budgeted for (probably because they were expecting a more dire pandemic experience) so Treasury have now revised their budget projection.

I don’t think the government will wind back JobKeeper earlier than scheduled as the economic pain will linger for a while. At best they’ll probably make some adjustments e.g. for casual workers who earn like $100 a week suddenly getting $750 seems strange.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think the reporting error is about the actual number who are currently on JobKeeper. The Treasurer claimed last week that around 6 million employees have actually signed up for it (which is in line with their budget projection).

However, turns out the actual number actually wasn’t anywhere near that apparently due to about 1000 employers who incorrectly populated the number of employees with the number of dollars they’re expected to get.
Yeah, this is what I'd read too. It just seemed odd that the error happened to match the early projections - but I guess that's probably why it went unnoticed originally. It's definitely great news for the budget though.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yeah, this is what I'd read too. It just seemed odd that the error happened to match the early projections - but I guess that's probably why it went unnoticed originally. It's definitely great news for the budget though.
The media is reporting this as if the error was responsible for the over-projection, which makes no sense.

It’s kinda conflating two different issues, one being the number of employees currently registered on the scheme was incorrectly reported and the other being Treasury’s initial estimate was wildly off because it was based on a 6 month lockdown experience.

enoilgam

HSC
It's definitely great news for the budget though.
It's good and bad in a way. The government seems to now be swinging back to its usual deficit hawking which is not going to help with this situation. Id rate myself as being fairly economically conservative, but I think this cult of surplus at all costs isn't helpful and is kind of ridiculous especially now. Either way, there will be a deficit, either due to falling revenues from a lack of economic activity or due to stimulus. The government needs to get the economy going otherwise we are going to have serious structural economic issues and no amount of penny pinching will get us back in the black. Plus interest rates are as low as it gets and unlikely to rise again for the foreseeable future, so the time is right for borrowing

The government should be looking at how the extra $60 billion from JobKeeper can be spent elsewhere. A good start I think would be a small works fund, which targets small infrastructure upgrades/developments (i.e. street re-tarring, bus stop upgrades etc). The NSW Government recently announced a $9 million regional court uplift program which I think is a great start, because the money will quickly create jobs and put money back into the economy. I think it would be wise to avoid mega-projects which have a significant lead time before money is spent. It would also be a good time to start looking at some much needed structural reforms to the tax system whilst the window is open and there is an impetus for change. Industrial relation reforms, whilst needed are a bit of a distraction and not a good starting point, considering there are other reforms which are less divisive.

The fact is, this whole COVID-19 can be an opportunity for renewal, because the economy was really slowing down before this hit. Whilst I dont mind this government, there didnt seem to be much impetus for reform prior to this, which I think would have led to a long economic malaise without intervention. Maybe we can turn a negative into a positive?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally am not convinced the money needs to be spent. After all, the $60 billion is borrowed money which we didn't have anyway, and will be paying in higher taxes for years to come. At some point the private sector will need to adjust, and the commercial realities will kick in with or without a temporary propping up by the government.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Looking at the posts above, I have absolutely no idea what in the world you guys are talking about and at this point I’m too afraid to ask lol
It's the whole question of what should the government do since they overestimated how much JobKeeper would cost by $60bn. Some want JobKeeper expanded (i.e. spend it) whereas others (like myself) would rather repay debt (or just not borrow so much).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Community transmission seems to have remained very low so far since the stage 1 relaxations in mid-May.

The protests tomorrow will be the first real test of the virus’ undetected prevalence in mass gatherings (notwithstanding the shitshow that’s gonna unfold now that it’s deemed illegal).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That is a sharp rebound for the US. This is what happens when the peak is too high (from reacting too late) that it takes forever to force it down and then people start running out of patience to live under the restrictions. They are basically screwed.
1592835423285.png

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
They reacted too slow by not closing the borders soon enough. The Democrats were valling travel bans from China racist as late as the beginning of March

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That is a sharp rebound for the US. This is what happens when the peak is too high (from reacting too late) that it takes forever to force it down and then people start running out of patience to live under the restrictions. They are basically screwed.
View attachment 28486
Update on this with latest data and that spike was huge in the US. About to exceed 4 million confirmed cases.

I can't see how they are going to flatten that curve effectively, given that no one wants to lockdown.
1595419882007.png

Closer to home and this second wave in Victoria is out of control. Not only is it like 4-5 times bigger than their first wave, their total case numbers are now greater than all the other states combined plus they seem to be getting a fatter curve than what the whole country got in the first wave. The early signs are that their lockdown isn't having much of an impact just yet. :confused:

1595421262165.png

On the other hand, NSW seems to be holding surprisingly steady at less than 20 cases per day despite multiple outbreaks. It seems that the contact tracing efforts have been enough to ring-fence the transmission so far, but I reckon it's still on a knife's edge.

yooook

HSC
i want the same to happen to NSW for school to be cancel before trials, but none dies from the virus, they just have it.

safeness 100

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)