Cotton On! Got an interview (1 Viewer)

alycisbored

HSC
Hey, I just got word that I will be participating in a group interview friday for Cotton on. I read a thread from a year ago that helped me understand but I would like to know a few things from people who work their or have had an interview.
How much does it pay, Christmas Casual?
Can you pick up as many shifts as you like?
What is the interview like?
Anything i should know :)

Thanks in advance
alyce

JBALECH

HSC
heyy !

i got one of those interviews too !!
what storee?
n wens ur interivew?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I just got a casual job at Cotton on, yet to start... I will tell you how that goes.
The group interview was fairly laid back, all we had to do was fill in some forms (bring details of 2 of ur references) and talk about ourselves. I think it was:
1. introduce yourself and what your hobbies/interests are
2. What retail experience you have had or something related that allowed you to develop good customer service skills etc...
3. Why you want to work at Cotton On and what you can bring to the store

Oh and if you surely want the job be sure to ask questions to the interviewer when it is question time. You want to stand out!!
Then you are done! It may be different for you tho... Where abouts is your interview? Chatswood?

JBALECH

HSC
the interview is in chatswoodd. .yeah
Aye refrence .. do they want numbers .. or a actual written one?

Wat sort of questions can you ask without lookking stupid.

JBALECH

HSC
the interview is in chatswoodd. .yeah
Aye refrence .. do they want numbers .. or a actual written one?

Wat sort of questions can you ask without lookking stupid.

alycisbored

HSC
I'm actually in Victoria. My interview is Friday in the city, for the Chadstone store :) .
So I know from previous posts to be really smily, laugh alot and be generally like someone in a retail store.

I wouldnt have actually brought my references, thanks for that.

Anyone else have anything to give?
Thanks!

alycisbored

HSC
That was a wierd interview!
So about 15 people sat in a room, 2 of them male.
We had to introduce ourself, Name,Age,Fav movie
Then we had an activity to 'sell' the person next to us :confused: I hated that, how demoralising, sometimes I wonder the value of these interviews.

We filled out forms with an approx availability and she did not collect resumes because she was interviewing 1900 people :|

We had to say in 30 secs why we want to work for cotton on. I said I love people and i want to work and interact with people, meeting people is fun etc.

somehow that took one hour
everyone was so FAKE, all smiles and happyness like we are so happy to be interviewed.

Niksta123

HSC
Does anyone know how much an 18 year old would get paid per hour, working at Cotton On?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Not sure, still haven't been told what I am going to get paid!
Are they really allowed to not give us break after 5.5 hours of work?? I can only get that if I work 6-7.5 hours? I thought you were supposed to get a 10 min break every 3 hours or so. Cause that seems fairly crazy! I'll be starving by then.

alycisbored

HSC
In other retail it was 5.5, hence why i used to get all 5hr shifts at village :mad1: god that is some SERIOUS mismanagment, new general managers monthly

and they get u to work 5hr 15mins at time

but yeh it flies

Niksta123

HSC
What kind of clothes do you wear?

Do they make you buy cotton on clothes (you know how other stores make you do that..?)

alycisbored

HSC
I was supposed to find out today regardless whether i got the job or not but no call :mad1:
Called a friend who went to the interview also, she got no call either. :burn:

I think I will call them tomorow if I recieve no call before 4pm.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
They sometimes call a few days after when they should, so don't worry too much just yet.

Although I strongly advise against working for cotton on. The breaks are terrible! I talked to the work choice infoline and they told me in my 10 hour shift (had this a few days ago) I should get two 10 minute breaks (at least every 4 hours) and a 1hr lunch break. I don't get this from them... only a 1hr lunch break the entire day. I felt sore, tired and pissed off. I wasn't allowed to sit down! Like I could there were no seats in the entire freaking store including the backroom. If you want a fun job, don't do retail, especially at cotton on. If you are old enough do bar tending or something.

alycisbored

HSC
Im not really in the position to pick and choose employment sadly :(
Only 16(almost 17) with limit exp. and needing a casual job, I worked for village cinemas where in ANY shift over 5.5hr we got a 30 min break EVEN THOUGH the union said 45 mins.
I am really only doing it for cash and exp.
I also believe its what you make it sometimes

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i missed a call this morning which turned out to be from cotton on in penrith about a xmas casual position. before i call them back i just want to know a) how much would they pay an 18 year old b)what are the working conditions like c)do you get a discount for buying the clothes you have to wear to work, because i have like zero money atm (hence looking for work)

edit: just called them, have an interview tomorrow...in freakin' parramatta, there goes half my day. hope someone in my family feels like driving, coz i can't :eek:
but whoo, possible employment!

Last edited:

alycisbored

HSC
So I am really unhappy with the lack of communication from cotton on. Out of the 3 girls that went to the interview(That i knew, 15 overall) only one got a call back, saying she was rejected. Me and another girl are yet to recieve communication, this is so frustrating and rude. We were told a phone call would be made regardless, although I just got another interview with The Body Shop so im not to mad.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Don't worry too much with Cotton On... I lasted a week
I suggest to really go for The Body Shop! At least you aren't made to buy their products and wear them. Lol How can they tell ur wearing body butter? I was asked to come in for an interview too but I'm loving my new job now, so nah :p
Best of luck with the body shop interview! :)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Eeeeh, I hope it's not as bad as you say. I got called back the next day and offered a permanent casual position, so maybe I got a cooler interviewer or something, but today they rang me up from a completely different Cotton On and asked me if I could work tomorrow... after I'd done my induction and said I wasnt available.. .and I was like "um.. hsc much?" =/ Can't say much for the pay but that's alright. The induction took friggin ages though, if anyone's wondering. Well, 2 hours or something, but apparently they all do so thats k, just my first.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
The one where I was placed to work was really bad... the kitchen area was filthy. And there was nowhere to sit down! I'm sure yours will have far better working conditions. Yeah the induction took like 3 hours for me... *yawn*
I didn't even have an induction at JB Hi-fi... lol they just took me straight to the register after I filled out some paperwork and started working (getting paid as well!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)