could I trouble you for an opinion? =) (1 Viewer)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Be very, very careful when you think about "aiming" to be pretentious-like.

Because if in the event you screw up or don't pull it off (and this happens the majority of the time) you will look like a pretentious try-hard who was trying to look like someone they're not. It IS possible to get a band 4 without doing highly complex postmodernism 'stuff'.
THANK GOD gigglefairy :( My story isn't postmodernist related at all!

HSC
Emph said:
Which is your priority... band 4 or love of english?

If it is band 4, then attempt the "baffling story consisting of random observations thinly connected that are boring to read" and just hope you don't screw it up by trying too hard.

If it is your love of english that means the most to you then forget about the band 4 and write what you WANT to write.

Is your personal satisfaction going to come from writing a story that you feel immensely proud of no matter what anybody else will say, or an E4 HSC number? Which are you more likely to show your grandchildren? (excuse the cliche!)
Hard to say really, which one I would be happier with. I can't help but want a top band, and yet I want to write how 'I want' to write. lol.
Ah well, I'll be right.

Porcia

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Be very, very careful when you think about "aiming" to be pretentious-like.

Because if in the event you screw up or don't pull it off (and this happens the majority of the time) you will look like a pretentious try-hard who was trying to look like someone they're not. It IS possible to get a band 4 without doing highly complex postmodernism 'stuff'.
it is very very very very very very possible... this year's showcase of last year's works - less than half are classed anything to do with 'postmodern'. Having said that, postmodernism is our current 'movment' in socio and cultural terms- so it would be natural for people to be informed by postmodern thinking which is the direct outcome of cultural context - and even so, postmodernism isnt all that bad or 'pretentious'.

by the way im not doing postmodernism

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rofl, postmodernism hasn't been our 'current movement' in socio-cultural terms for at least 30-40 years.

HSC
maybe not, but its gold at the moment in ext2 english. The markers have orgasms over it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
maybe not, but its gold at the moment in ext2 english. The markers have orgasms over it.
That is if people are competent at it - if someone tries to push themselves into postmodernism without any natural inclinations toward that movement of thinking then very bad things happen. You'll also find that many students, even those who study postmodernism for Ext 1, confuse elements of postmodernism with post-structuralism. So often its better to work with what you want to write rather than aiming for a style that you believe the markers approve of - even if it is gold at the moment.

That said, no one should hold themselves back from doing postmodern works but it is important to be realistic about what it can and can't achieve in the course.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
rofl, postmodernism hasn't been our 'current movement' in socio-cultural terms for at least 30-40 years.
are you kidding me? what do you call society atm post-post-modernism? or a return to modernism and enlightenment (progress is possible for human morality) thinking?

oh and agrees with kami's point on post-structuralism and post-modernism. it gets a bit grey sometimes that area.

i'm of the view that even if a student does not actively research and write a story that's 'post-modern' because of the context we are presently in, it would be post-modern in some aspects. its an all-encompassing term so i wouldn't be surprised to discover say intertextuality or appropriation in such texts because there is nothing new under the sun.

good luck for your story but in the end, if you really are desperate, you can always slip in a critical theory reference or two in your RS if you're that insecure with your concept. but don't be!

millieforever

HSC
yo, dude, just write what you feel most confident with. Make suure that its something you feel passionately about, so you can be mor in debt, but dont forget that you also need to know the facts. Remember what age group youre riting for and youre set to go. Remember to stick to these and youll be fine...
if you have the above, i say, that you cant go wrong...

ButterflyFish

HSC
Im writing my story based on a really strong opinion
If the marker disagrees with the philosophical side of it, i could be in trouble
Its a very accusatory story... and if the marker has strong views on my topic im worried that it could drag my marks dooowwwwnn
what do you think?

Oh well it doesnt really matter, im sticking to it cause I love it and have learnt so much from it :D

Emph

HSC
ButterflyFish said:
Im writing my story based on a really strong opinion
If the marker disagrees with the philosophical side of it, i could be in trouble
Its a very accusatory story... and if the marker has strong views on my topic im worried that it could drag my marks dooowwwwnn
what do you think?
Well unfortunately you might be disadvantaged if you come across a biased marker... but then that is true of everybody. It would be very hard to write a story that EVERYBODY in the whole entire world liked because we are all unique individuals blah blah blah.

The reason (or one of them) that you are not allowed to identify yourself, your school, your address, your teacher etc in your journal or MW is because the marker might be biased towards certain things (ie hate everyone who comes from the North Shore or all public schools etc). Unfortunately nothing can be done to guarantee an unbiased marker... you just have to trust the Board selects the right people.

ButterflyFish said:
Oh well it doesnt really matter, im sticking to it cause I love it and have learnt so much from it
That's the idea! Just like the quote which I have stuck on my wall above my desk... It's by Virginia Woolf.

So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say. But to sacrifice a hair on the head of your vision, a shade of its colour in deference to some Headmaster with a silver pot in his hand or to some Professor with a measuring-rod up his sleave, is the most abject treachery, and the sacrifice of wealth and chastity, which used to be said to be the greatest of human disasters, a mere flea-bite in comparison.”

Last edited:

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
The thing with writing a "kickass" story is that you tend not to address "issues" or have an "audience".

On the flip-side, writing a "highly-philisophical" piece means that you'll go off like 50% of the other Ext2 English students and write about teen pregnancy/abortion/divorce/elves.

Try to do something different without being postmoderninst, but still add the flair and sophistication of a kickass story.

The reason I know this is because I've seen four people in my class fall over on this problem.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
I was just making a reference to plethora of fantasy stories. You know people who think that anything from Tolkein or Jordan is "kickass".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)