Courses by correspondence? (1 Viewer)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Hi I'm just wondering does anyone here do any courses by correspondence?
How are you guys are keeping up with your work? and how do you manage to keep yourself motivated to do the work?
Because I find it heaps easy to fall behind, all the work you do is at your own pace and timing is heaps flexible.

Last edited:

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
is it like distance education ..........not quite sure what you mean

I go to such a lame school with a lack of teachers that i might have to do that...

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
my friend does spanish through OHS. she's extremely far behind due to not being able to contact her teacher for like, three weeks straight, so she's stressed as hell right now since her exams are a couple of weeks from now. poor bub.

in any case she's dropping the subject as soon as she can.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
CRANK-SHAFT said:
is it like distance education ..........not quite sure what you mean

I go to such a lame school with a lack of teachers that i might have to do that...
Yep, it is distance education.
It might be a bit too late to enrol now because we're almost heading to Yr 12 in a couple of weeks. Though you can still enrol if you wish do some extension courses if they arent offered at your school.

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
how do you apply??

Sorry if i seem dumb/silly but i havent been in australia from year 10 or whatever

although if you met me you prolly wouldnt realise.....:)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
CRANK-SHAFT said:
how do you apply??

Sorry if i seem dumb/silly but i havent been in australia from year 10 or whatever

although if you met me you prolly wouldnt realise.....:)
LOL its fine. You dont seem dumb i guess the point of this site is to help one another :).
Heres the site [SIZE=-1]http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/school.
I hope that helps you!

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Last edited:

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
thank you so much
atleast there are some nice people on this site unlike the ones in the political section.....

Itazura

HSC
Well, I do two unit Studies of Religion by correspondance (No, I'm not religious for the record) and I plan to drop it like a tonne of bricks at the end of year eleven.

I'm wayyyyyy behind in the course, due to a combination of me being lazy and the distance education center occasionally forgetting me. Yeah, I agree that it's incredibly easy to fall behind.

As far as motivation goes, well, I picked the subject because I was highly interested and intrigued by it, so motivation is just an incredibly nerdish desire of mine to learn more :p But with some subjects they're boring as anything, and so the motivation is not getting an 'N' award. It's kind of hard to be motivated when you know you plan to drop out of the course.

The long and short of it is... correspondance is evil, don't do it unless you absolutely must. But that's just my opinion.

James747

HSC
ness.xox said:
Hi I'm just wondering does anyone here do any courses by correspondence?
How are you guys are keeping up with your work? and how do you manage to keep yourself motivated to do the work?
Because I find it heaps easy to fall behind, all the work you do is at your own pace and timing is heaps flexible.
I do Japanese Beginners through Open High School. I'm up to date with my work right now, but I have been handing in my work late for most term 1 and 2 until I caught up and went ahead in the term 3 holidays :D

Its absolutely true to say that its extremely easy to fall behind, cuz u hav to motivate yourself to get the work done, call the teacher, revise, etc... Of the 3 other people who do Jap with me at my skool, all of them have received a warning letter with two of them already with a second one! What happens is that they all use their jap periods as "free" periods, so they just never get work done.

But I like learning by correspondence. The teachers are better [than the ones at my home skool!], you can pace yourself (ie fly through the work or fall behind!xDD) and the course work is written out very nicely.

dreame016

HSC
Well, I do two unit Studies of Religion by correspondance (No, I'm not religious for the record) and I plan to drop it like a tonne of bricks at the end of year eleven.

I'm wayyyyyy behind in the course, due to a combination of me being lazy and the distance education center occasionally forgetting me. Yeah, I agree that it's incredibly easy to fall behind.

As far as motivation goes, well, I picked the subject because I was highly interested and intrigued by it, so motivation is just an incredibly nerdish desire of mine to learn more :p But with some subjects they're boring as anything, and so the motivation is not getting an 'N' award. It's kind of hard to be motivated when you know you plan to drop out of the course.

The long and short of it is... correspondance is evil, don't do it unless you absolutely must. But that's just my opinion.
I also do two unit studies of Religion by correspondance. It is a rather interesting course but I find it very difficult to become motivated.

I'm sometimes a bit behind but usually because i'm a bit lazy and get distracted easily. I'm keeping it though, it's rather interesting.

As far as correspondance courses i think the flexibility is rather nice to have. I don't find it all that difficult doing a correspondance course but it probably depends what subject you are doing. I have a friend doing economics by correspondance which is something I'd probably not touch.

:)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I do German, but not through correspondence, but since my German teacher been fucking away since the end of our half yearlies (T2W3) I might as well choose it.

notoneto

HSC
I do legal VIA Dis Ed and its hard to stick to it and very easy to get behind plus my school doesn't contact me and i have no idea whta to do! you need to go to schools with your course even if you have to change schools

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
:lol: Getting behind in DE is not fun - don't do it.;)

Having done DE, I found that regular contact with my teacher was a must, either via email or phone. It definitely helps having someone check on your progress and helping with any queries you have.

If you do fall behind, maybe you could call your teacher and ask for some of the exercises to be left out. DE work (I've found) tends to be overly repetitive at times, so doing some exercises would be a waste of time.

Here's a tip for exams: If you know you have a exam coming up, try and get your work in early so they have time to mark it and check your answers and send it back to you in time to study for the exam. There's nothing worse than having only half your notes to go off. ;)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL DE'ers!! It's hard but it's very rewarding knowing you've done most it yourself!!:D

Edit:
dreame016 said:
I have a friend doing economics by correspondance which is something I'd probably not touch.
:p hehe, that's what I did. It was quite fun:p...DE can be pretty good if you're motivated enough, because you have the ability to work ahead of your cohort, rather than wait for you teacher to teach it.

Black Hawker said:
Are we allow to do MX2 for correspondence...?
Now that's crazy!!:p

Last edited:

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Yep you can!
Though you have to have permission from the school and a reason why you want to do it, like it might be because your school doesnt offer the course or etc.
Heres the site with the list of subjects that are offered and more information about enrolling.
http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/school/
:D

Black Hawker

HSC
ness.xox said:
Yep you can!
Though you have to have permission from the school and a reason why you want to do it, like it might be because your school doesnt offer the course or etc.
Heres the site with the list of subjects that are offered and more information about enrolling.
http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/school/
:D
Thanks. Well, for example is the reason that I couldn't get in because they only let in the top 24 and I just miss it by two positions good enough?

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Umm well, my friend wanted to French but it was on during the same time as Drama, so she couldnt do it. When she went to ask the deputy about doing French by correspondence, she told my friend she wasnt allowed to because our school already offered French so the only way for her to do French was if she dropped Drama and there was no way she wanted to.
Well thats just my lame school for you! lol
You never know! try asking though your school might be different! :)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
LOL i just realised my little story about my friend wanting to do French has nothing related to your Q!

fatalkaiser

W-Smack!
HSC
Well, im doing my hsc next year, and this year in yr 11 i did chemistry, but because everyone except me dropped out im the only one continuing it next year. Now the school says if i want to continue doing it for the hsc i have to do it by correspondance. I dont really have much of a clue whats going on, can they do that halfway through a course? One of my teachers said i should kick up a stink about it and contact teachers unions or something like that, but i really have no idea. Does anyone have any advice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)