COVID-19 and school closures (1 Viewer)

jasminerulez

HSC
N/A
It will be better if they close down the school, before the covid gets out of hand. I mean predictions have showed that in the next week the death toll will rise, so why not cancel it before its 2 late??

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
It will be better if they close down the school, before the covid gets out of hand. I mean predictions have showed that in the next week the death toll will rise, so why not cancel it before its 2 late??
Of course. Wasn't that the problem with Italy for a start? I thought Italy went into lockdown rather late.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
ikr, just today another 37 people in NSW got the COVID-19, its just gonna increase.. there is a heightened risk because a school is an environment where there is more interactions between people and people are trapped in enclosed environments. If scomo said "no public gatherings of 500 or more are allowed" then what about school?!
As much as he did say no public gatherings of more than 500 people, I don’t think he meant school. As much as it’d be nice if school was off for a couple months, it’d do more harm than good. Any nurses or doctors who have young kids and who are helping COVID-19 patients are going to have to stay at home, or spend bucket loads of money on a babysitter. I mean, unless you’re a millionaire let’s face it, you’d rather stay home.
I’d think it’d be up to the state government to explicitly enforce such rules and regulations, and to shut down schools around the state.

MinnieMinnie

HSC
I don't understand why they can't shut down school for like a month excluding the Holidays.
I mean what should be of priority is the health of individuals today not in two months, not in two years. Right now it's not about long-term, it's about what we can do now to ensure the safety of the people today to have a future before it gets too late .
I mean why so many other countries other than Australia have shut down and they have much less cases then Australia.
And even within the country itself Victoria has shut down it's schools but I mean us,the people living in NSW where there are the most cases, it's still open, i mean what is the logic in that.
And what would be more dangerous: a school where a thousand+ individuals are in close contact with each other utilising the same rooms where people can easily get the virus and also the travel most kids too and from school in the forms of public transport i mean or shut down schools, where people will stay in their homes regardless. i mean who in their right mind will go out when corona virus on the loose. Australia's government HELLO our health SHOULD BE PRIORITIZED helloooo.
I mean its 'too early too shut down schools', but there is never gonna be a perfect time an exact time, and when they do shut schools down it'll be too late for like crap sake give us a break. Australia's gone through so much in the past few months, in 2020 alone. like we deserve a break.
furthermore, i mean their prioritising education right now. But what is education without health like OML.
And i mean there's a possibility of 3 out of 5 Australians getting corona virus in the next month i mean .././.

im sorry for this random rant of jumbled thoughts

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Exactly.. apparently our health isn't a concern rather our education is.. I mean bruh come on
That’s the thing though. Statistically, school aged children do not seem to experience many adverse effects from the virus compared to adults.

The issue with closing schools means students instead spend their time out in the community (especially if they’re unsupervised) infecting others who are more vulnerable or their own family members, rather than remain in a “controlled” environment where there are less vulnerable people around (and less exposure with more vulnerable family members). It is also very disruptive in the sense that parents have to stay home to supervise their children to ensure they comply with social distancing, which is especially counterproductive when these parents are actually needed to help fight the virus.

When making a decision, these negative impacts have to be weighed up against the potential benefit of closing schools, which is the social distancing.

That is not an easy thing to do. Of course some schools and students have already made a call at their own discretion.

An interesting case to note is that Singapore has more infections per capita (close to 250 altogether for a densely populated area of about 5-6 million) than Australia but still haven’t closed their schools yet. They are also being praised as a country which has successfully slowed the virus’ spread up to this point. This shows that it is possible to slow the spread without closing schools.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I see :( but why are catholic schools shutting down all of a sudden if this is an issue?
All or some? May I please see a source?

Per this, business as usual seems to be the advice.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
That’s the thing though. Statistically, school aged children do not seem to experience many adverse effects from the virus compared to adults.

The issue with closing schools means students instead spend their time out in the community (especially if they’re unsupervised) infecting others who are more vulnerable or their own family members, rather than remain in a “controlled” environment where there are less vulnerable people around (and less exposure with more vulnerable family members). It is also very disruptive in the sense that parents have to stay home to supervise their children to ensure they comply with social distancing, which is especially counterproductive when these parents are actually needed to help fight the virus.

When making a decision, these negative impacts have to be weighed up against the potential benefit of closing schools, which is the social distancing.

That is not an easy thing to do. Of course some schools and students have made already made a call at their own discretion.

An interesting case to note is that Singapore has more infections per capita (close to 250 altogether for a densely populated area of about 5-6 million) than Australia but still haven’t closed their schools yet. They are also being praised as a country which has successfully slowed the virus’ spread up to this point. This shows that it is possible to slow the spread without closing schools.
Going of this, children are apperantly more likely to pick it up from adults rather than other children.Source:

Xardous

HSC
It seems like a possibility, but we shouldn't get our hopes up just yet to be honest.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Most of them, not all.. in regards to sources you can search up "catholic school closures"
The website BLIT linked says “our schools are operating as usual” on their Thursday update. Further updates since that suggest only a handful of schools are closing at their own discretion, which seems consistent with what most news outlets are reporting.

If your claim that most Catholic schools have already closed is true, then surely that would have been newsworthy?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
The website BLIT linked says “our schools are operating as usual” on their Thursday update. Further updates since that suggest only a handful of schools are closing at their own discretion, which seems consistent with what most news outlets are reporting.

If your claim that most Catholic schools have already closed is true, then surely that would have been newsworthy?
Most of them, not all.. in regards to sources you can search up "catholic school closures"
There is about 152 Catholic schools in NSW alone. Suspect that the vast majority haven’t closed.

Polish Aussie

HSC
My school has decided to trial an online learning system in case of a closure - I think more details on how this will be done are yet to come, but it would include using Microsoft Teams for working with teachers and maybe conference/class calls. All year groups apart from Year 7 (due to them having routine vaccinations on the same day) will be required to stay home this Friday to see how this would work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)