Cracking knuckles? (1 Viewer)

Is cracking knucles good, bad or neutral?

• Total voters

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Is crucking knuckles actually bad for you? I keep doing it, at least 10-15 times a day. I heard it can lower grip strength and cause arthritis. What does everyone else think? Should I stop?

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Cracking knucles?

No, it's fine.

Parents love to spread the myth that it causes arthritis because it's bugs the shit out of them.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
But I keep reading that constant cracking can be a problem? Like I crack a LOT. Also, It seems like many people agree that your grip strength decreases over time

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Cracking knuckles is wat badass muthafuckas do

And badass muthafuckas never go down with arthritis

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
the sound and sight of cracking knuckles disgusts me

can not stand

that said, does not cause arthritis

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
What about another study, "A recent study examined the hand radiographs of 215 people (aged 50 to 89) and compared the joints of those who regularly cracked their knuckles to those who did not. The study concluded that knuckle-cracking did not cause hand osteoarthritis, no matter how many years or how often a person cracked their knuckles. An earlier study also concluded that there was no increased preponderance of arthritis of the hand of chronic knuckle-crackers; however, habitual knuckle-crackers were more likely to have hand swelling and lowered grip strength."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1004074/?tool=pmcentrez

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
The cracking you hear when you crack your knuckes is actually the popping of gas bubbles in the synovial fluid of the joint as the pressure changes in the joint. Cracking your knuckles will not cause athritis although if you do it frequently enough you can cause ligament laxity (over stretching of the ligaments).

fishrushed

HSC
i heard it doesnt give arthritis....
i crack knuckles to release pressure after playing guitar

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
The cracking you hear when you crack your knuckes is actually the popping of gas bubbles in the synovial fluid of the joint as the pressure changes in the joint. Cracking your knuckles will not cause athritis although if you do it frequently enough you can cause ligament laxity (over stretching of the ligaments).
Yeah that's the part I'm worried about =/.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I do it all the time because i just have to do it now or my knuckles feel tight. I freak people out by pressing them against my face in order to crack them (i don't know why i do it... it probably looks really weird...)

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I despise the habit, it irks me.

On another note, I don't even know how to crack my knuckles. It's happened to me but only accidentally.

*shudders*

2xL

HSC
I despise the habit, it irks me.

On another note, I don't even know how to crack my knuckles. It's happened to me but only accidentally.

*shudders*
Try. It's so easy for these people, why don't you have a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)