crap guy in class (1 Viewer)

HSC
There's this guy in my legal and business class, and I'm pretty sure he is in advanced english as well, and he is pretty much failing everything big time. Like, for legal he got about 18/85. And he is coming last for all of them.. I'm not so worried about advanced cause its a way bigger cohort, overall im coming about 5/60... but for legal im coming 4/12, and for business about 6/21, will his shitness affect me, will I get dragged down/up/stay the same?? in leagl, 1-4 are neck and neck, same with business, with the exception of the guy who is 1st, he is owning everyone....

i know this might go under something else. but i just want some form of opinion cause i have been quite concerned about this for a while...

G

Gavvvvvin

I'd say your crap for actually caring about something so petty.

HSC
uh, im sorry?

I'm just unsure as to how scaling works, I have heard mixed stories and wanted to clarify/seek the opinion of someone else in terms of the situation in my classes atm, call me shit/shallow, I don't care, but I do care about my marks. And I'm not sure if my position in my classes is good enough or whether I am fine as I am. You might think I sound kinda harsh, but i this guy does nothing, he doesn't try and he knows it and he shouldn't even be at school. But you know. Sorry for caring about my marks.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
michelleyeaman said:
There's this guy in my legal and business class, and I'm pretty sure he is in advanced english as well, and he is pretty much failing everything big time. Like, for legal he got about 18/85. And he is coming last for all of them.. I'm not so worried about advanced cause its a way bigger cohort, overall im coming about 5/60... but for legal im coming 4/12, and for business about 6/21, will his shitness affect me, will I get dragged down/up/stay the same?? in leagl, 1-4 are neck and neck, same with business, with the exception of the guy who is 1st, he is owning everyone....

i know this might go under something else. but i just want some form of opinion cause i have been quite concerned about this for a while...
all you can do in this case is to worry about yourself, because thats the only thing you have control over
you cant have control over another student's performance in assessment tasks and the exams, so why bother?
if hes coming last, then thats his problem....at this rate, your ranks are fairly decent, so i wouldnt think youll be dragged down at all
all i can say is do the best you can, and forget about him...that will stress you out more the more you think about it

http://community.boredofstudies.org/134/uai-hsc-marks-technical-arcana/60687/scaling-faq.html
thats all you need to know about scaling

HSC
magpam said:
WOooh dude,

i think that is very selfish to say! i don't think that person means it, i means its the HSC. I remember during the half yearlies one of the girls from my class was like 'weren't you dropping this subject' coz i knew she thought of me as a dumb bitch scaling the class down. i tried really hard for the subject and i ended up doing pretty bad but i kick there asses the last assessment. anyways i just think your opinion really unfair and its not as if you can do anything anyway (unless you provide tutoring!)

btw it shouldnt affect your scalling if you just keeping getting your marks
I probably didn't clarify myself enough. And maybe I was a little harsh but you don't really understand the cirsumstances. He wanted to drop out of school and do an apprenticeship. He said to my class;

"I would drop out, but I can't be bothered to go for a job, my parents pay the school fees so I will stay here as long as i can."

He is not going to put in any effort come HSC, if you went to school with the guyt everyday you would definatley see where I am coming from, pretty much everyone is worried about how his performance will effect theirs.

But yeah. Thanks for the advice.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
michelleyeaman said:
I probably didn't clarify myself enough. And maybe I was a little harsh but you don't really understand the cirsumstances. He wanted to drop out of school and do an apprenticeship. He said to my class;

"I would drop out, but I can't be bothered to go for a job, my parents pay the school fees so I will stay here as long as i can."

He is not going to put in any effort come HSC, if you went to school with the guyt everyday you would definatley see where I am coming from, pretty much everyone is worried about how his performance will effect theirs.

But yeah. Thanks for the advice.
And try going to a school where a majority of your cohort is shit. I came 2nd for English and i got the highest HSC mark and was pulled down by my assessment mark. He won't affect you in anyway, as he'll just get the lowest HSC mark and hence he'll keep it.

HSC
I get what you guys are saying totally. I just get frustrated when in these classes, pretty much everyone is putting in 110%, even the more 'average' people and this one person isn't. And then my year advisor gets up at our form meetings and tell us about how "we aren't just letting ourselves down when we don't work hard, we are letting down the team," and then goes on and does a spiel on the effects of scaling and alignment and how one person can affect everyone else..

that's why I came here for advice. :)

I know he does nothing at home, I know that, and his marks reflect that and I know its not entirely my problem, my only concern is how his marks will affect mine, other than that, I don't really care. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone in what I am saying... but its just how I feel.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
rankings onli affects how ur marks are moderated

da person hu comes 1st internally, b4 da actual exams, gets da 1st best hsc exam mark in da grade (say it was 97) as der assessment mark (which is now 97). dey keep der exam mark (lets say 95). so da average of dem two = actual hsc mark. see?

so if ur rankd up der, n he's ranked wayyyy down der... he's marks probably aint gonna affect you. da marks dat will affect you r da marks at da top, say if ur in top 5, probably top 8 pplz marks will affect you

mayb not da bext explanation

but point is, dun worri bout da pplz hu come last. if ur up der, dey dont do nuffink to ya. unless ur like 2nd last. den u nevaa noe eh.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
magpam said:
ok i tell you what the problem is you are talking the HSC to seriously almost to a point where i think you have become pretty selfish but i can see you seem like a really nice girl but i think you shouldn't let the HSC affect the type of person you are. i was once like that even to the point were the stress made me do things that i never planned to do - basically i shouted very rudely to a teacher that was giving me the shits and my school ended up having one of those guest speakers on stress. i realised that i wasn't happy and what i learnt is that i could be successful as long as i try my best and have a balance lifestyle.
lolz, sounds like me during the HSC. I still cringe at such moments :eek:

HSC
magpam said:
ok i tell you what the problem is you are talking the HSC to seriously almost to a point where i think you have become pretty selfish but i can see you seem like a really nice girl but i think you shouldn't let the HSC affect the type of person you are. i was once like that even to the point were the stress made me do things that i never planned to do - basically i shouted very rudely to a teacher that was giving me the shits and my school ended up having one of those guest speakers to talk about stress. i realised that i wasn't happy and what i learnt is that i could be successful as long as i try my best and have a balance lifestyle.

btw on top of the HSC i have been working towards 2 certificate II certificates through VET course which includes workplacement, a diploma part time as well as a leadership course once a week after school so i might just be as successful as a person who gets a UAI of 100 *crosses fingers* just goes to show there is a life outside the HSC
lol, thanks for not thinking i'm a completely selfish bitch. I'm not in the slightest- and to be honest, I'm not really that stressed, I think I just expressed myself poorly. I sort of came across a little harsh, which wasn't my intention at all. :S

But like I said, he just frustrates me, and to be honest you sound like the complete opposite of him, you sound like you work hard and you have goals and yeah... I'm not that concerned about how he is going to affect me now anyway, I've got the grasp on this whole alignment/scaling thing so its all good. :)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Re: Live.fast

Please refrain from
a) abusing the English language
b) trying to defend your honour by making yourself look even worse- ie. your comeback wasn't exactly 'smart' on any level.

Re: Thread Starter

Try not to be too judgemental about a particular person....in general, those who do not do as well as you wont' "pull you down". :)

Dave2007

HSC
live.fast said:
its funny coz ur mum tells me da same fing

"get out...yes oh yes... ride it bak in... OMG DATS SO GUDDD!"

juz thought u shud noe ......faggggggggggggg
HAHAHAAAHAHA :rofl: You got him good!!! ...

ANYWAY

With regards to scaling and the topic.

I've read that if there is a gap of 20 between the lowest up to 4 people in your cohort they don't get counted and won't scale you down.

What you have to worry about it is him actually doing well in the HSC.

But either way if you stay up the top you won't be effected.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
live.fast said:
rankings onli affects how ur marks are moderated

da person hu comes 1st internally, b4 da actual exams, gets da 1st best hsc exam mark in da grade (say it was 97) as der assessment mark (which is now 97). dey keep der exam mark (lets say 95). so da average of dem two = actual hsc mark. see?

so if ur rankd up der, n he's ranked wayyyy down der... he's marks probably aint gonna affect you. da marks dat will affect you r da marks at da top, say if ur in top 5, probably top 8 pplz marks will affect you

mayb not da bext explanation

but point is, dun worri bout da pplz hu come last. if ur up der, dey dont do nuffink to ya. unless ur like 2nd last. den u nevaa noe eh.
omfg, you are going to fail Advanced english. hahaha

and note, that some internal scaling within BOS occurs where the change your marks around with the assessment/external exam marks. so it isn't as simple as you say.

and trust me, i know from experience.

as for the original poster, don't worry about the guy in your class.
Just try your best and nobody can blame you at what mark you get. =]

HSC
most classes will have a "crap guy" in it. so don't worry about it, if he is going so bad he will be a long way behind and is not likely to affect you much if youre up there.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
live.fast said:
its funny coz ur mum tells me da same fing

"get out...yes oh yes... ride it bak in... OMG DATS SO GUDDD!"

juz thought u shud noe ......faggggggggggggg
It never ceases to amaze me to wonder why you're not banned as of yet, especially when a most of your posts are laced with mindless profanities and bashings of other posters.

By chance, are you one of those boys at school (and any other public place for that matter) who are fiercely quiet and shy but on the internet you shun that demeanor and adopt a far more different persona? For example, the one you have now?

G

Gavvvvvin

If you really cared so much about your marks you would do this crap guys work for him.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you michelleyeaman. Almost all of my classes have those type of people who do no work. Probably half my whole year is like that. So I'm really disadvantaged. In my bio class I have 18 peeps but only about 3 of them are getting band 4 or above...the majority get about band 2 and 3...
But from the rumours that I've heard I'm just trying to be an outlier from everyone else so that their marks won't scale me down, hopefully a 20% difference...but then again I don't know if that will help me to not get scaled down.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
yoakim said:
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you michelleyeaman. Almost all of my classes have those type of people who do no work. Probably half my whole year is like that. So I'm really disadvantaged. In my bio class I have 18 peeps but only about 3 of them are getting band 4 or above...the majority get about band 2 and 3...
But from the rumours that I've heard I'm just trying to be an outlier from everyone else so that their marks won't scale me down, hopefully a 20% difference...but then again I don't know if that will help me to not get scaled down.
My software class is like that.... Top mark in the half yearly was me at 45.5, next best was 43.5 and then after that it went down to 26 or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)