Creative writing. Help. (1 Viewer)

sexykid

HSC
Just wondering how you get better at creative writing. I know a lot of people just say write more, but I really struggle when it comes to short stories and shit. Essays are fine, and last year i came 2nd in english, I just always seem to get stuck when it comes to short stories and the like. I have a scholarship exam coming up soon, and two of the tasks are on creative writing. I have enough trouble writing one in a week, let alone 25 minutes.
Any advice?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just set out yourself a struture. Find an idea, then find an ending. Once you've settled on this, its really just a matter of filling in the middle, improving your language skills (particularly imagery), and practice.

martinc

HSC
Whenever i write,
i like to try pick something random, usually an object and use it as the central symbol of my story. My story somehow comes together by expanding on that symbol.

johnyG

HSC
I hated this when I was at school. Usually I would just get some ideas off google and then just write and write. I find it is better to do it all in one go, you can get it done in about 30 mins once you get going.

YashC3

HSC
ye the trick is to not have such a complicated story line...just have something very simple and build youre whole story upon that

marks come more from youre description/ language and youre overall idea

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
reading books OR *edit* short stories helps. you automatically pick up new language and sometimes you can use it as inspiration for stories :)

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I third the "read widely" suggestion, it's a great way to figure out what works and what doesn't. Experiment with telling the same story in a variety of ways. Choose your themes beforehand so as not to get muddled up in the midst of it.

Ideas usually come to me as an image or maybe one/two good lines. I place that in the centre and then work out everything else as I go along.

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
I third the "read widely" suggestion, it's a great way to figure out what works and what doesn't. Experiment with telling the same story in a variety of ways. Choose your themes beforehand so as not to get muddled up in the midst of it.

Ideas usually come to me as an image or maybe one/two good lines. I place that in the centre and then work out everything else as I go along.
MX2 and EE2. beast. :jaw:

brendroid

HSC
I just found the greatest inspiration for a self-indulging writing piece. No way in hell I'd actually use it, but nice way to explore a character's voice.

Practise, read widely, practise, read widely, annotate a book, read a dictionary, look at smart papers, practise and read widely. I doubled up a lot, I know.

Gedi-Master

HSC
If it were me, i would draw up a mind map, a big one!
then just write down every random idea for a story that i can write and develop a few possible story lines for each,

oh and remember that dialogue helps bring the piece to life, and if your writing it in first person include descriptions of what the character sees, hears, smells, tastes, feels :)

Gedi-Master

HSC
I just found the greatest inspiration for a self-indulging writing piece. No way in hell I'd actually use it, but nice way to explore a character's voice.

Practise, read widely, practise, read widely, annotate a book, read a dictionary, look at smart papers, practise and read widely. I doubled up a lot, I know.
listen to this guy, awesome story writer!!! :cool:

klaris

HSC
i am going to go with most posters and say: READ!!

it is really the best way to get your writing up to scratch. i'll be honest; i'm not the most amazing writer and i can't always express myself properly but reading a great deal of books has expotenially helped my creative writing.

good luck :)

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Gotta be careful with the dialogue though. If you don't have a natural talent for it then it's something you'll need to pay very close attention to. Too many good stories are undermined by forced, stilted dialogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)