Cricket Season 2007/2008 (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
I know he had a cracker of a Domestic Season but if we needed an opener in a test match why not call up either Rogers....or as you said, put Hussey up to open - both of whom have experience there....Katich is a mid order batsman for tests...not opener! But I stand by the fact he failed at international level once again, would be a good player but seems to be in a mighty big rut at international level atm...

dpospination

HSC
see the Aussie collapse late on day 3?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Losing, breath (faints)...

Muz4PM

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
4/17

I sense a massacre
Far out, that is abysmal. Australia are effectively 4/136 with Symonds, Hodge and Haddin still left to bat. I wouldn't be calling massacre yet, but the situation is not a favourable one, to say the very least. Good to see Hayden back batting in the nets, will give us the opener we need. That begs the question, who will be dropped for the next test? Katich probably, which I think is a shame given I think he needs some more time this series to prove himself.

MacGill for 2/100 off 22 overs. On the surface, that looks like a pretty mediocre comeback for MacGill, he would have to improve over the coming matches if he wants to keep his spot, especially with Warne putting his hand up for the next Ashes.

Muz4PM

HSC
Stuart Clark = bowling superman. 5/32 off 20. He bowled some marvelous spells, sending Australia to victory. Hats off to Andrew Symonds too who I think made a well compiled 70 in the second innings to allow Australia to limp to 191, a 287 run lead which was so well defended by Lee and Clark. The West Indies showed a little bit of fight, bowling Australia out for under two hundred in the second innings, and should make for an interesting next test.

Peartie

HSC
I see u mentioned Lee but not Macgill who got 2 wickets as well and had an economy less than Lee.....Macgill is a good bowler - it wasnt exactly the best spinners pitch was it? I dont really know because i didnt see any pitch report but still.....hes not that bad a player...hes the best spinner we have atm...

Muz4PM

HSC
Peartie said:
I see u mentioned Lee but not Macgill who got 2 wickets as well and had an economy less than Lee.....Macgill is a good bowler - it wasnt exactly the best spinners pitch was it? I dont really know because i didnt see any pitch report but still.....hes not that bad a player...hes the best spinner we have atm...
Well, Lee has the runs on the board, pardon the pun, he has been the spearhead of the Australian attack and is probably in the best bowling form of his life. I watched some of the match (not all of it) and the part I watched I saw Lee and Clark bowling extremely well, looking very dangerous and picking up the wickets which put the Windies on the backfoot and basically broke their back, removing most of the top order. That was where I made my judgement that they basically won us the game.

I didn't see MacGill bowl, I heard he got two wickets and had another one dropped. From the first innings I heard the Windies, esepcially Bravo had his measure, belting something like 36 runs off him? I sincerely hope he is able to comeback and cement his spot, but I think he has to do a little more than what his figures suggest.

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Macgill shouldn't be in the team imo. I think they should be looking towards the next generation of spinners. Who was is it they took over, Cullen I think? Give him a run. When the pace bowlers are on song, there isn't too much work that the spinner is needing to do, and when they aren't, Macgill isn't performing well enough.
cullen is in worse form than macgill, plus he's had injury through the season. he didn't even get a game in the odi's in the beginning of the year. macgill might get one more year. aust brought another spinner with them, a young guy from nsw with no international experience. but he should get a run if macgill keeps giving away 100 runs for only 2 wkts.

Peartie

HSC
wuddie said:
. but he should get a run if macgill keeps giving away 100 runs for only 2 wkts.
what people are forgetting is that before warne it was the norm for spinners to give away up to 6 runs an over! Macgill, who give away 3-4 runs generally an over is still good - many spinners will still go for somewhere betwee 4 and 6 runs an over in test cricket.

He is just seen as not as good because Warne was a better spinner than him and more consistent as well. We are forgetting that Australia is lucky to a) have him and b) actually be able to produce spinners of his quality!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Australia did well to escape with the match. Clarke had a ripper of a match.
clark bowled us to victory, but clarke didn't play.

peartie, it is true that warne is exceptional and aust was fortunate to have him for a decade. but macgill used to be a very good spinner, had he been in his best form, he would rival some of warne's magic - big call, i know, but i rate him. but at the moment, if he can't keep the batsmen quiet and/or get wickets, why should he be in the team? 2/100 in the first inning tells the tale. whereas 2/43 on a bowlers' pitch isn't fantastic either (and then we have brett lee who got 2/81, dismissally done).

i think one of the reasons he was picked is in his experience, and he is expected to produce quality bowling. if he can't proof the critics wrong, then we might as well bleed a youngster and have him ready for the summer, i don't mind the extra runs.

Peartie

HSC
I rate Macgill...I think Australia should have used him and Warne in Tandem much more than they ever did - especially in the Sydney tests! where Macgill, when in tandem with warne at the SCG, actually performed better than Warne!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, sydney is about the only test macgill did get to play with warne. in reality, macgill is very unlucky to be playing at the same time as warne, he would have made most test sides in any other decade. i think he is now past his best and the selectors ought to look at someone else for the long haul, simply because we are still dominant and we can afford to have one inexperienced spinner in the starting 11.
Exphate said:
Well fuck me, I spelt his name wrong.

Woopeee.
no one is talking to you.

Muz4PM

HSC
ledzeppelin said:
mmm not for the test team
wouldn't mind doug bollinger getting a run
Bollinger had a good Pura Cup, he has basically everything Johnson has except test experience. I also rate Peter Siddle from Victoria as a good future prosepct, but I think he needs some more experience.

The reason why I said Bracken was because I think that his ability to swing the old and new ball both ways, coupled with his deceptive pace would be a welcome asset to the Australian Test team. You would have Lee, the speedster, Clark the plodder, both of whom bowl a pretty predictable line, length and pace. Operating with them would be Bracken who can bowl line and length, but has a greater ability to always keep the batsman guessing in the longer version of the game with a combination of swing, pace, bounce and cut. That would probably have more batsmen second guessing themselves alot more and from that more likely to play false shots.

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
its been shown he is much better with the white than the red at swinging though - i still dont get how someone can be better with a different coloured ball but there u go - anyone tell me what the difference in the balls is except the colour?

Muz4PM

HSC
Peartie said:
its been shown he is much better with the white than the red at swinging though - i still dont get how someone can be better with a different coloured ball but there u go - anyone tell me what the difference in the balls is except the colour?
I am not 100% certain, but the hide of a red ball is dyed leather where as the hide of the white ball is painted leather I think. Anyway, the paint I think begins to flake off and damage as the game goes on, hence why you get a kind of grey ball. By the falking of the paint, at least at the end of the innings would see more swing as one side is more rough, provided one side is left undamaged. Also, sometimes at night, the difference in airtemperature and humidity etc may have something to do with the movement.

However, they are just speculations, I really have no idea.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
century for katich, well deserved and well-earned. easily the best player during the whole domestic season, it would have been a huge mistake to leave him out of the test squad. hussey hasn't made a century for a while, there goes his 'bradmanesque' average.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Exphate said:
Of course he was the best domestic player this season .He smashed the run scoring record.

God damn it wuddie. State the obvious competition isn't on yet.
C'mon man, leave wuddie alone.

It's not his fault he provides shit obvious commentary. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)