Cricket Season 2007/2008 (1 Viewer)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Exphate said:
If an Australian was to return fire by calling him a monkey, would you have the same attitude? Just a question, not an attack...
Not really. It's coming from a different cultural context.

I dont think anyone should care about 'monkey' regardless of who it comes from. It's just one word said in the heat of the battle. This on the other hand ...

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Triple777ER said:
Put all the upmires aside and Get Simon Taufeel, Billy Bowden and Asad Rauf.
Umpires should be moer accepting of technology and call for the third umpire on LBWs and Catches. If there is doubt, then it shuld go to the batsman like any other dismissal.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Haha i've seen most of the Sledging videos and they are great especially the one where McGrath got owned by Sarwan, LMAO, the greatest comeback of the century.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Exphate said:
I thought that you had to have 2 umpires not from either nation that is playing in the test.

Probably wrong :)
Yeah, so its India vs Australia, so yeh Taufeel and Bowden, oh but that would make both umpires Kiwi, is that allowed?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think for ODIs it's fine, but for Test Matches, no 2 umpires can referee in their own nation

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I just wrote an email to Dilip Vengsarkar (former Indian cricketer, now Administrator) [Indian TV unwittingly revealed his email address in a few seconds of footage]

Dear Mr. Vengsarkar

I am sure you will know of the recent controversy going on in the Sydney test. I'm not going to complain to you about that, but I am going to propose a solution. A third umpire is called when an umpire is unsure of a decision, but they are rarely called for leg-before decisions or contentious catches. My proposal is to change the role of the third umpire completely. What happens in the middle now stays exactly the same, but instead of the third umpire looking at replays only when he is called for, he should review EVERY single decision against the batting team -- and if the decision is incorrect, the batsman should be called back to the pitch. Why? The same reason the benefit of the doubt should always go to the batsman.

With this happening, the pace of the game should not change greatly (that is the main argument against the introduction of greater technology to the game).

I hope you will use your influence to bring about this change in the rules. I do not want to see potentially close series being ruined by incompetent decisions.

Regards,

A Cricket Fan.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The Indian cricket board has suspended its team's tour of Australia pending the outcome of an appeal for banned spinner Harbhajan Singh.

Harbhajan was suspended on Sunday by the International Cricket Council for three tests after being found guilty of racially abusing Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds during the second Test in Sydney.

Harbhajan has denied the claims and the BCCI said the tour would be suspended until his appeal had been heard.

"The Board will appeal to the International Cricket Council to review the decision of the Match Referee and suspend its operation till the appeal is disposed of," the BCCI said in a statement released today.

"The Indian Board realises the game of cricket is paramount but so too is the honour of the Indian team and for that matter every Indian.

"To vindicate its position, the Board will fight the blatantly false and unfair slur on an Indian player."

The Indian team were due to travel to Canberra today to prepare for their next tour match but returned to their hotel rooms after sitting on their buss for two hours.

Australia lead the four-match series 2-0.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/india-suspends-test-tour/2008/01/07/1199554559214.html

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
exphate.. tbh.. i actually think its a better rule.

tbh the racism is a pretty potent charge (even though i dont think its a valid one), considering india has struggled against racism and discrimination for oh i dont know 250 years?

12th man

HSC
A High Way Man said:
the racism accusation is completely overblown. its just NAMECALLING. like if i were to call ponting a tosser. harbhajans a naive indian from the middle class, they do not know about such concepts such as racism. calling someone a monkey is not racis to them.

true, but its common knowledge ur captains a huge tool. stephen fleming did more with less, and steve waugh is the greatest captain australia will ever have.
will comment more on this issue later when i have time but to suggest singh is 'naive' and 'does not know about concepts such as racism' is perhaps the most ridiculous thing ive read all day. we're talking about a seasoned (10 years), media trained international sportsman who was no less than 2 months ago talking about how bad racism was in sport and how ti shouldnt be tolerated

having said that im disappointed he's been banned and think if theres any sort of consistency, brad hogg should be in the same boat, even though it would be career ending for him.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Wow. India suspending the tour (if it holds) is a big move.

*awaits media frenzy*

Kujah

HSC
N/A
As far as I knew, they were complaining about Hogg's use of foul language rather than racism?
They've accused him of calling an Indian player a "bastard".

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
ok so i was being a bit facetious.. fact is, its not racist to harbhajan. and the fact that he says how racism is bad blah blah with Tim Sheridan is another point -- no one could be such a blatant hypocrite.

far out, the dude couldnt even speak a word of english in the 2001 series. cut him some slack.

anyway if he said it, big deal. there's probably much worse on the field. ponting the dickhead just conveniently reported this so he wouldn't have to be harbhajans bunny any longer.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
I think I heard Ponting make some comments to some reporters about how they should forget about any umpiring blunders since it was overshadowing what was an otherwise great game. What a tool - if he was on the other side of the coin I'm not so sure he'd be so quick to blow it off. I used to respect Ponting - there goes that.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Exphate said:
As far as I knew, they were complaining about Hogg's use of foul language rather than racism?

But what I'm saying is that it makes it too one sided. The batsman already gets benefit of the doubt, now you want them to have every dismissal scrutinised? It just gives the umpire chances to give benefit to the batsman.

0/650 does sound promising though.

I reckon we should scrap the 3rd umpire. Easy.
not sure what you mean. imagine if roy caught dravid off johnson. it would've been out.. then the third umpier wouldve checked the replay and saw that johnson overstepped the line [benson missed it], and dravid would be brought back from the dead.
how isn't that fair?

as a batsman, when you're out, you're out. you only get two chances in a game to score runs. bowlers get many more chances to get you out.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Incorrect decisions are part of the game. Any player of cricket should realise this. If you're such a shit bowling side that you have to rely on a chance edge to the keeper in order to win the game...then you're just that: shit.

Muz4PM

HSC
What would have Bradman's average been if they used Hotspot and Hawkeye and such? Just a thought.

However, I must concur with Ian Chappell on this issue, I don't think that the answer is to bring in more technology right away. We need to try and enhance the standards of umpiring. Umpires have been apart of test cricket since the begining, we should not lose them just because they give bad decisions. It is the human element of the game, there will be bad decisions favouring both sides, some days it just seems against you, some days it is for you, we just have to live with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)