• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CSSA- Biology (2 Viewers)

chels777

HSC
that it was lowest in 1987 but then on the graph it was lowest from like 1985-1990 so thats probably wrong not sure though

Blushii

HSC
For the CSSA i think the 5 marker questions were the Glofish and the Enzyme X tomato experiment...cant remember others

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
we didnt have them. i wanted a pedigree chart coz i understand very clearly, we didnt get one.
wow, my school must really hate us then, they put this really difficult pedigree chart in and that took up like 10 minutes. so I'm assuming you guys didn't get the sex linked inheritance question either then. I felt my paper was full of BOL topic and not much of Maintaining a balance... maybe this is because we never ended up finishing the 3rd topic..

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
For the CSSA i think the 5 marker questions were the Glofish and the Enzyme X tomato experiment...cant remember others
wait what was the Enzyme X tomato experiment question?
My experiment question was about the performing a first hand investigation to model Pasteur's experiment.. my school has changed a lot of the paper

chels777

HSC
i thought they were all fair you just had to think before you started writing

Blushii

HSC
the tomato experiment was about designing an experiment to test the effect of enzyme X on hydrogen peroxide in tomatoes at different temperatures i think. how did people design their experiment?

chels777

HSC
the tomato experiment was about designing an experiment to test the effect of enzyme X on hydrogen peroxide in tomatoes at different temperatures i think. how did people design their experiment?
i used water baths ranging from 10-60 degrees with five testubes in each 4 with enzyme and peroxide other with just peroxide and marked the starting line then left for 20 mins and marked height of bubbles

Blushii

HSC
Ohh same here! I was so close to using actual tomatoes LOL. My temp range was from -10 to 40 in 5 test tubes, i left it for 10 minutes and my measuring method was to "measure the amount of water since the more water=the more hydrogen peroxide broken down" ..i totally disregarded the bubbles. ><

What did you guys do for the wikipedia question abt endotherms?

mark H

HSC
i used water baths ranging from 10-60 degrees with five testubes in each 4 with enzyme and peroxide other with just peroxide and marked the starting line then left for 20 mins and marked height of bubbles
Pretty much same for me except i said from 10-50 degrees with their being 3 test tubes at each 5 degree increment.

Blushii

HSC
it was about sources of info.I did not relevent and not reliable...my reasoning: because it clearly stated that endotherms were able to maintain their body temperature despite the environment, yet the wiki quote was about animals in general and it was talking about the ambient temperature affecting body temperature...so i thought they were talking abt ectotherms lol. aww mc was hard for me!

chels777

HSC
it was about sources of info.I did not relevent and not reliable...my reasoning: because it clearly stated that endotherms were able to maintain their body temperature despite the environment, yet the wiki quote was about animals in general and it was talking about the ambient temperature affecting body temperature...so i thought they were talking abt ectotherms lol. aww mc was hard for me!
i suck at multiple choice because i always over analyse things i originally had not relevant or reliable but then changed it

HSC
same.

for the 7 marker i brainstormed everything but only ended up writing about resistances and the formation of transgenic species (e.g. bt cotton) able to withstand disease in third world countries bla bla (im fucked).

mark H

HSC
How would you guys rate this exams multiple choice compared to last years HSC ones? I reckon slightly harder.

Dylanamali

HSC
Yeah agree with you - not relevant and not reliable. The opening sentence said that the student was researching endotherms, but then the information from wikipedia was clearly on ectotherms with there being a body temperature change resulting from the change in ambient temperature.

Dylanamali

HSC
BTW - for the fieldofview question is it just 400/7 micrometres?

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
BTW - for the fieldofview question is it just 400/7 micrometres?
is this multiple choice you're talking about?

and so much for studying about immunity, there was nothing in it about B cells and T cells and cell mediated immunity/ or may be my school took the questions off, bcs we only did that on Friday and everyone was complaining on how difficult it was

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)