• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CSSA biology (1 Viewer)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
MC Question 8 :s i put B .... and apparently im wrong :s
Which question was that one?

What marks did everyone get?! I got 96 :D (our option was written by our teacher)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
That 7 mark question about the two scientists was marked extremely harshly at my school.
Ended up only getting 1 out of 7 although I wrote lots. Despite my attempts, extra marks could not be obtained.

Would you guys like to tell me if this is worth 1 mark? Word for word what I wrote btw.

'Many scientists have changed the direction or nature of scientific thinking'
Evaluate this statement using at least TWO of the following pairs of scientists.

"Darwin & Wallace and Watson & Crick have indeed "changed the direction of scientific thinking." Darwin & Wallace independently discovered the theory of evolution, Darwin published his results in his 1858 '"Origin of Species." This theory changed scientific thinking. Contextually, the 1800's was a time of great political change as people were moving away from religion and were more open to scientific interpretations of the world. As the theory of evolution and natrual selection was backed up with evidence, such as Darwin's Finches, people started to turn to science for answers. This cultural shift embraced science, changing the direction of human thinking by turning to science for answers, making them very significant. Similarly, Watson & Crick changed the direction of scientific thinking with the discovery of the structure of DNA in 1952. As they discovered that DNA was a double stranded helix consisting of a deoxyribose sugar, a phosphate and 4 bases (ATCG) they changed the direction of science and also won the nobel prize. This discovery prompted a massive scientific shift, as the structure of DNA opened many doors such as genetic engineering, the production of transgenic species and also explaining how human reprodcution occurs as well as genetic variation. Thus, it is clear that Darwin & Wallace and Watson & Crick changed the direction and 'nature of scientific thinking.'"

It's not perfect, but worth more than 1 mark. Any thoughts?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope. I got second highest with 77. She originally had 78, but managed to scab two extra marks.

I personally couldn't be bothered, but I think I also saw some marks that I could've scabbed.
well done. :)

Scab as many marks as you can imo.

What are you ranked overall?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That 7 mark question about the two scientists was marked extremely harshly at my school.
Ended up only getting 1 out of 7 although I wrote lots. Despite my attempts, extra marks could not be obtained.

Would you guys like to tell me if this is worth 1 mark? Word for word what I wrote btw.

Evaluate this statement using at least TWO of the following pairs of scientists.

"Darwin & Wallace and Watson & Crick have indeed "changed the direction of scientific thinking." Darwin & Wallace independently discovered the theory of evolution, Darwin published his results in his 1858 '"Origin of Species." This theory changed scientific thinking. Contextually, the 1800's was a time of great political change as people were moving away from religion and were more open to scientific interpretations of the world. As the theory of evolution and natrual selection was backed up with evidence, such as Darwin's Finches, people started to turn to science for answers. This cultural shift embraced science, changing the direction of human thinking by turning to science for answers, making them very significant. Similarly, Watson & Crick changed the direction of scientific thinking with the discovery of the structure of DNA in 1952. As they discovered that DNA was a double stranded helix consisting of a deoxyribose sugar, a phosphate and 4 bases (ATCG) they changed the direction of science and also won the nobel prize. This discovery prompted a massive scientific shift, as the structure of DNA opened many doors such as genetic engineering, the production of transgenic species and also explaining how human reprodcution occurs as well as genetic variation. Thus, it is clear that Darwin & Wallace and Watson & Crick changed the direction and 'nature of scientific thinking.'"

I would give it 2.

But I'm fairly lenient with biology.

No idea :p

Nah, i'd have to argue with the teacher. She's too hard to deal with, and a few marks aren't worth it :p
Just ask how you can improve those answers.

And when she says you can't then ask for the extra marks.

Alkanes

HSC

I think you coulda earned extra marks if you wrote a bit more and expanded on your answers. Some parts were just very vague. And usually for this type of questions, it is critical that you also link it with implications on society etc.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I came 4th with 78%, (top was 89%)

However, I'm pretty happy :)

Alkanes

HSC
I got 86%. Good result for me cos I crammed the whole course the day before .. Only thing I was disappointed in were the MC questions. Lost marks that were easily obtainable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)