CSSA Trial Papers (1 Viewer)

Lina93

HSC
Hey guys

Just wondering... do schools who do the Catholic trial papers have to do them on the specified day?

Their site does say that ' Papers scheduled for ALL WEEKS must be taken at time/date specified. Rescheduling of papers prior to the nominated times is not permitted.'

Note however, that it says 'rescheduling of papers prior to the nominated times is not permitted'. Does this not imply that we can do the exams after the times given?

... I mean, it's not going to make a difference to them since they're not marking it, and yes i know some people say it's so that students don't get the questions from other schools etc... but can we not do the exams after their given times?

What do you think?

beardedwoman

HSC
All schools using the CSSA trial exams take place in weeks 3 and 4, and I don't think any school will / should change it for the entire school (i.e. only for particular students who might not be able able to sit an examination on a particular day).

Nadiaa

HSC
i wondering the same thing
so it is not consider wrong to change the dates for instance cant a school postpone to exams inorder to help its students?

Lina93

HSC
All schools using the CSSA trial exams take place in weeks 3 and 4, and I don't think any school will / should change it for the entire school (i.e. only for particular students who might not be able able to sit an examination on a particular day).
Is it not permitted for them to change it though?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Is it not permitted for them to change it though?
A school can change the timetable if necessary e.g. we have students who do both Hospitality and Modern which are timetabled at the same time. The school obviously has to move one of them and then the teacher of the subject moved will have decide to either use the CSSA trial knowing that students might have seen the paper or use another paper or set their own.

We are also moving Extension History as having one exam on the Monday of Week 3 means that all the students are away for an extra day but as that is being moved forward I have to set another paper for that and can't use the CSSA paper at all.

The actual papers themselves can be changed if there is/are questions on the CSSA paper that haven't been covered in class and there are instructions on how to do that e.g. my Modern class won't have finished Conflict in Europe so any question on home front or ending of the war I will have to reset but I can't reset a question on a topic that I have finished.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
A

The actual papers themselves can be changed if there is/are questions on the CSSA paper that haven't been covered in class and there are instructions on how to do that e.g. my Modern class won't have finished Conflict in Europe so any question on home front or ending of the war I will have to reset but I can't reset a question on a topic that I have finished.
Aren't you supposed to have finished all the topics before trials? As far as I know we'll have finished Pacific War (our 3rd elective) by Tuesday this week and will just be revising after after that (our Term 2 exam is next week). I'm pretty sure for us it's the same in other subjects bar English. Regardless, I thought trials were supposed to be a practice run for the HSC i.e. everything was tested.

beardedwoman

HSC
Aren't you supposed to have finished all the topics before trials? As far as I know we'll have finished Pacific War (our 3rd elective) by Tuesday this week and will just be revising after after that (our Term 2 exam is next week). I'm pretty sure for us it's the same in other subjects bar English. Regardless, I thought trials were supposed to be a practice run for the HSC i.e. everything was tested.
"It is the expectation of the CSSA Executive that schools will NOT modify any paper. The one exception to this is where a topic on which a particular question is based has yet to be covered in class. In such circumstances an alternative question should be set and presented to students on a coloured insert sheet." - CSSA

duckcowhybrid

HSC
"It is the expectation of the CSSA Executive that schools will NOT modify any paper. The one exception to this is where a topic on which a particular question is based has yet to be covered in class. In such circumstances an alternative question should be set and presented to students on a coloured insert sheet." - CSSA
Yeah I know that. My thing is, how come the topic has not been covered yet if it's trial time?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have never finished the course before the trials and no course at my school has ever finished.

In fact the expected time to complete the course is 120 and for us that means it should take us until about Week 9 Term 3 (which is when I normally finish). For me I only have 10 hours this term and another 6 next term before the exams (due to having two hour lessons on Mondays and having a public holiday and a PD day on Mondays between now and the trials). I have just started topic four and would never attempt to finish a 30 hour topic in 16 hours.

Schools do not have to finish their courses by the trials. They don't even have to have trials. Some schools will be running their trials this term, some the first couple of weeks of next term, some in Weeks 3 and 4 and some even later. The later they are done the more of the course that will be completed but certainly most schools won't have finished their courses by the trials.

Some schools do of course and then do 6 weeks of revision but if we tried that the absentee rate amongst Year 12 would skyrocket and the students wouldn't be at home 'studying' but rather would be doing anything but studying.

zainabnazeer

HSC
So, can schools delay the trials until after the given date?
i.e. moving them from week 3 for example, to week 6, or is that not allowed?

youandmexo

HSC
i did CSSA last year and for bio we had to change some of it cos we hadn't finished the syllabus LOL.

and pretty sure for CAFS they changed something too.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So, can schools delay the trials until after the given date?
i.e. moving them from week 3 for example, to week 6, or is that not allowed?
Schools can do the trials any time they want. The BOS doesn't specify that trials have to be done let alone when they have to be done.

If a school chooses to do then later than the CSSA timetabled exams they then have to take the option of using the CSSA papers knowing that other students may already have posted the questions somewhere or setting their own papers.

Technically if using all the CSSA papers they should be done at that time but most importantly they can't be done any earlier than the specified time.

Lina93

HSC
Schools can do the trials any time they want. The BOS doesn't specify that trials have to be done let alone when they have to be done.

If a school chooses to do then later than the CSSA timetabled exams they then have to take the option of using the CSSA papers knowing that other students may already have posted the questions somewhere or setting their own papers.

Technically if using all the CSSA papers they should be done at that time but most importantly they can't be done any earlier than the specified time.
Ok. Because our school's using the CSSA trial papers so we've been told that they have to be done at the time associated. We're trying to push for them to be a couple of weeks later though so we have more time to study and so we can finish some of our modules...

So yea, don't know what's happening with that. I hope we can have a bit longer, I mean they're like week 3, term 4 or so... too early

Anyway, thanks guys :)

beardedwoman

HSC
Yeah I know that. My thing is, how come the topic has not been covered yet if it's trial time?
3 terms, 4 modules (except for Maths) I guess... Like for English we 'rushed' through quite a bit just to get everything done before the trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)