Dark Knight Rises Shooting in Denver (1 Viewer)

Does the USA need stricter gun control to prevent such acts in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

At least 14 people have been killed in a shooting at a Batman film premiere in the US city of Denver, police say.

About 50 people have been injured in the incident at the cinema complex in the suburb of Aurora.

Witnesses say a gunman wearing a gas mask opened fire during a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises.

A man was arrested in a car park nearby in possession of a rifle and hand-gun. He told police that explosives were stored at his home.

Police chief Dan Oates told reporters that an apartment block in the north of Aurora had been evacuated as a consequence of that information.

An eyewitness said the man was dressed all in black wearing a riot helmet, bullet proof vest and goggles
More weapons may have been left in the cinema, he said.

"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire," the police chief said.

"The shooting apparently went on for some time," he said.

Ten people were killed at the cinema and four others died later at hospital of their wounds, he said.

The FBI, which is working with the police, say there is no terrorism link so far in their investigations, ABC reports.

Many ambulances are at the scene and the Swedish Medical Center, not the area's main hospital, told the BBC it had received several gunshot victims and expected more.

A witness told 9News that during a shooting scene in the film he heard loud bangs and a lot of smoke and initially thought they were live special effects put on by the cinema.

Projectiles came through the wall from the neighbouring theatre screening, the witness said.

CNN quoted one witness saying: "A guy slowly making his way up the stairs and firing - picking random people."
Fuck…

Fawun

Queen
HSC
What was he trying to accomplish?

He's fucking nuts.

Thief

!!
HSC
What was he trying to accomplish?

He's fucking nuts.
Yup.

I wonder what was in the gas cannister though.. something poisonous? If he was wearing a gas mask.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
He was probs just a crazed fan trying to be as Bane-like as possible.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
look i am a massive fan of the character bane but goddamn this takes fanboyism way too far

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I don't think it's fanboyism as the cause, but I can't think why it would trigger. About from trying to send a message.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
It's inevitable that certain voices will use this tragedy to begin calling for more gun control. I'm interested in what people think about this. Is it time that the USA ends its love affair with firearms?

Added a poll to the thread.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is this thread now being used as a political statement against gun control?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
the federal government has no mandate to legislate the bearing of firearms, so this isn't an issue for "the USA" but rather the state government of Colorado or Denver county

in the wake of the incident there probably will be some amendments made to colorado firearms law, like banning high capacity clips. although as far as i'm aware, denver already had an assault weapon ban.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes, they need stricter gun control. Would it have stopped this though? Probably not. The assailant had no criminal record and could have purchased the guns legally etc. The assailant wasn't stupid either, media reports say he was completing a PhD in neuroscience.

The theatre was also not far away from Columbine High School.

Last edited:
HSC
he was apparently screaming he is the joker... turns out he actually is the joker

12 die in america world goes nuts

thousands die in africa nobody cares

HSC
and the only way you're gonna stop shit like this is the media stops making it such a big deal

these guys love the publicity they get and hate their lives and want the world to know it

barbernator

HSC
he was apparently screaming he is the joker... turns out he actually is the joker

12 die in america world goes nuts

thousands die in africa nobody cares
I wouldn't say that. I just don't think that certain countries have the political impetus to want to, or be able to stop it.

barbernator

HSC
and the only way you're gonna stop shit like this is the media stops making it such a big deal

these guys love the publicity they get and hate their lives and want the world to know it
again, massive generalisation, we don't know the motives of the killers.

HSC
again, massive generalisation, we don't know the motives of the killers.
yeah i jumped the gun a bit there

but a better solution than reconsidering gun laws would be to stop publicising these events and making them out to be big deals. a lot of these guys want the publicity, and so do future mass murderers

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
or they'll just try harder for the media attention

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)