Deadlift (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
I don't get the difference between 'hypertrophy' and 'strength training'

It's not like anyone who can bench press 200kg is going to be small.
strength training is specifically to increase strength, not looking at mass, some powerlifters and strength athletes wish to increase strength while staying in the same weight category.

hypertrophy is just for muscle.

lol i was at the gym today, almost finished my workout and these highschool kids come in, start benching, do one set, watcht the tv for 10 minutes, do another set, wander around, talk, "omg bro give me a heavier weight, this is too light".

lol.

HSC
strength training is specifically to increase strength, not looking at mass, some powerlifters and strength athletes wish to increase strength while staying in the same weight category.

hypertrophy is just for muscle.

lol i was at the gym today, almost finished my workout and these highschool kids come in, start benching, do one set, watcht the tv for 10 minutes, do another set, wander around, talk, "omg bro give me a heavier weight, this is too light".

lol.
I get the difference but I dont see the approaches as specific. If you want to get big lift big + eat big, if you want to get strong do the same.

And dude I see that shit all the time. I swear half of them just pick random exercises based on what they feel like.

Another thing which pisses me off is people who get huge from boozing and eatting like shit. Most guys who play sport in their mid 20s are fucking jacked, even if they are 15-20% bodyfat. I think I might give up trying to clean bulk and just drink 3L of milk a day and eat junk food as often as possible.

Last edited:

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
I get the difference but I dont see the approaches as specific. If you want to get big lift big + eat big, if you want to get strong do the same.

And dude I see that shit all the time. I swear half of them just pick random exercises based on what they feel like.

Another thing which pisses me off is people who get huge from boozing and eatting like shit. Most guys who play sport in their mid 20s are fucking jacked, even if they are 15-20% bodyfat. I think I might give up trying to clean bulk and just drink 3L of milk a day and eat junk food as often as possible.

fucken oath man, im doing that anyway cos my metabolism is so crazy its annoying.

HSC
Guys, advice needed,

Currently I'm deadlifting 3x a fortnight and its going through the roof, but my upper body is really lagging in terms of growth...

I've been thinking about cutting deadlifting down to once a week and focusing on the bent row to gain some size, but at the same time would the deadlift be better sizewise anyway and should I melt this kinda progress for all its worth?

Opinions.

quik.

HSC
You can always keep deadlifts at the start of the workout and heavy, then use bent rows and other exercises afterward for higher reps.

Alternatively you could split back workouts, day for volume and a day for strength.

Personally I would keep doing what is working in the strength aspect, you'll need to change up things once you plateau and that would be when I switch to a more hypertrophy focused approach.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Guys, advice needed,

Currently I'm deadlifting 3x a fortnight and its going through the roof, but my upper body is really lagging in terms of growth...

I've been thinking about cutting deadlifting down to once a week and focusing on the bent row to gain some size, but at the same time would the deadlift be better sizewise anyway and should I melt this kinda progress for all its worth?

Opinions.
is there a particular part of your upper body which is "lagging" or just in general ?

HSC
is there a particular part of your upper body which is "lagging" or just in general ?
Lats don't have the width I would like and compared with the rest of me my arms look like stringbeans.

I've added some closegrip bench press' and curls for arms on a friday, hopefully in a month or two they should be a bit bigger.

Quik: I think you're right about letting the deadlift run out, this is a kinda golden run. I just get so bored of working my lower body :(

edit: You can really tell how much Rippetoe/Bill Starr's programs are geared for footballers, I'm bulking up in the exact way they do.

Last edited:

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
you should consider adding some barbell rows, thats probably the most advice i can give you.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Guys, advice needed,

Opinions.
Heh 3x a fortnight? Your a beast dude.

I DL 1x a fortnight and GM 1x a fortnight. It takes at least 5 days for my back to fully recover after a DL session.

HSC
Heh 3x a fortnight? Your a beast dude.

I DL 1x a fortnight and GM 1x a fortnight. It takes at least 5 days for my back to fully recover after a DL session.
I keep the volume low (1x5) but yeah, apart from the time I accidentally put 10kg too much on the bar I've never not been able to add more weight.

Curious, can I have a look at the routine you're running?

you should consider adding some barbell rows, thats probably the most advice i can give you.
I've got them man, cept I'm shit at them and am considering running them x4 a fortnight instead of x3.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Week A
----------

Mon (ME/DL):

DL -> Warmup x5, Singles, Belt Singles
Defecit DL: 3x5
Shrug: 3x8
Bent-Over Row: 3x8
Lat Pull-downs, Side Bends

Wed (Easy Assistance Excersises):

Incline Bench: 3x8
Pinch: 3x8
DB Press: 3x8
Curls, Tricep Extensions etc.

Fri (ME/Squat):
Squat: 3x5, 1x3
Box Squat: 3x3
Leg Press, Calf Raises, Glute-Ham Raises

Week B
----------

Mon (Ass DL/GM):

Goodmornings: Work up to 1x5
Concentric GM's: 3x8
T-Bar Rows: 3x8
Lat Pulldowns, DB Rows

Wed (Bench):

Bench: Warmup, 1x3
Pinch
Shoulder Presses 3x5
DB Row 1x20,1x10
Military Press: Whatever I get up to the day
Front Raises, Maybe some curls / tricep work etc

Fri (Easy squats):

Front Squat: 3x8
Legpress, Calf Raises, Leg Extensions
Glute-Ham Raises

My route use to be bunched up into a single week, but it became too overbearing eventually. I split it up recently into 2 weeks and now much less tired with slightly better results.

quik.

HSC
If you are after lat width, add in wide grip chins if you don't do them already. Then after those pick a weight you can do ~8 or so times on lat pulldowns and just rep it out for 4 sets (with wide grip), aiming to get 10 or so each time.

This is in addition to what I said above, so if you do it on the same day, make sure you do your strong stuff first.

HSC
If you are after lat width, add in wide grip chins if you don't do them already. Then after those pick a weight you can do ~8 or so times on lat pulldowns and just rep it out for 4 sets (with wide grip), aiming to get 10 or so each time.

This is in addition to what I said above, so if you do it on the same day, make sure you do your strong stuff first.
I don't have a chin up bar and am too broke to buy one :(

Russs: Where'd you get your routine from? it almost looks like W4SB.

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
You could try snatch grip deadlifts/romanian deadlifts. You could also rig up a heaps crude lat pulldown if you don't have one, put a rope through weight plates, set the safety bar as high as it can go in the rack (I think you have one of these), and you've got a basic pulley. One end of the rope in each hand, go nuts.

As for the chinup bar, if you do have a powerrack, get two towels, throw them over the top bar, set them wide enough, grab em and pull. These are harder than regular chins.

russs

yeeeee
HSC

Lol, I kind of just came up with it after splitting my existing routine. I guess everything has been done and named by now.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC

adjustable and non-permanent chin-up bar from ebay, think around 40 bucks, if ur interested.

HSC
adjustable and non-permanent chin-up bar from ebay, think around 40 bucks, if ur interested.
Getting a bit concerned about people recommending these on here. Drywalls and doorframes are not meant to bare heavy loads, long term it will cost more than its worth.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Getting a bit concerned about people recommending these on here. Drywalls and doorframes are not meant to bare heavy loads, long term it will cost more than its worth.
aslong as your doorframe is wide enough it won't do any damage. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)