Deadlift (1 Viewer)

HSC
Neither deadlift or squat is an olympic lift, as far as I know. Powerlifting yes. Olympic lifts (clean and jerk etc) ARE some of the most dangerous lifts you can attempt imo, there are so many technical aspects to keep track of.
Deadlift is incorperated into a clean, a squat in the snatch.

You couldn't have those olympic lifts without those movements and lifters train them all the time.

HSC
agreed.

olympic lifts definitely are the most dangerous.
Yes they are dangerous (even if statistically less dangerous than running) but if you learn to do them in proper form then they are very safe.

A lot of bs is passed around about weightlifting - that somehow its dangerous to squat below parellel or lift a weight from the ground with an arched back. Most of these are complete myths and I dont know why they get passed around.

IMO weight training is one of the safest sports you can do because you can control the variables. If you have a person attempting to squat then you can load the bar with a weight they can handle. This differs from rugby where you can't control the force of a tackle or running where the force on limbs is constant.

quik.

HSC
Deadlift is incorperated into a clean, a squat in the snatch.

You couldn't have those olympic lifts without those movements and lifters train them all the time.
So is an overhead press, doesn't make it an olympic lift.

I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there, but it isn't hard to find good information. The internet alone is full of it and anyone with half a brain and the patience to read a little can find it.

HSC
So is an overhead press, doesn't make it an olympic lift.

I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there, but it isn't hard to find good information. The internet alone is full of it and anyone with half a brain and the patience to read a little can find it.
Problem is this:
1) Hypothetical kid comes on bos, passing by sites by rippetoe and Bill Starr.
2) He reads that kid's bs, and imagines the squat as somehow causing some kind of spinal compression that it squeezes the juices out of growth plates (aka garbage).
3) Kid then goes to school and tells all his mates who lift to avoid squats. They tell their friends and the possibility of great gains for about 12 people are ruined.

If we clamp down on that shit and neg the mfers then it ends at the source.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
The forces applied to your body from squats/deadlifts (and every other lifts for that matter) are relative.

For example, when I started doing squats I was doing 10kg plates per side. (around 40kg in total). Atm, 100kg squat for me is a warmup and actually feels lighter than the 40kg/60kg I used when I started off training.

The problems come from the morons who decide its an excellent idea to load up 3 plates a side on their 3rd week of training and do some 1-inch squats. These kind of people get injured quickly because they are simply using 3x the weight they can handle.

Furthermore, maxing out on ANY lift (even bench press) is a bad idea until you have a few months of training behind you and you learnt the technique that applies to your body the best.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
For example, when I started doing squats I was doing 10kg plates per side. (around 40kg in total).
sorry for disregarding your whole post, but your barbell weighs 20 kg?!

what sort of a barbell do you use? the olympic type?

quik.

HSC
sorry for disregarding your whole post, but your barbell weighs 20 kg?!

what sort of a barbell do you use? the olympic type?
Olympic style barbells (the ones with sleeves for the plates, generally bar is a little thicker too) weigh 20kg. Skinny barbells weigh 10kg, if I remember correctly.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
Olympic style barbells (the ones with sleeves for the plates, generally bar is a little thicker too) weigh 20kg. Skinny barbells weigh 10kg, if I remember correctly.
yeah, you're right. last time i weighed my bar it was approx 11-12 kg.

HSC
The problems come from the morons who decide its an excellent idea to load up 3 plates a side on their 3rd week of training and do some 1-inch squats. These kind of people get injured quickly because they are simply using 3x the weight they can handle.
I see this all the time.

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
i can't squat at all, it's incredibly difficult trying to squat heavy without a rack and since my gear is in my garage i can't dump the weight, i'll end up damaging the floor/weights.

Last edited:

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
U misc bro? COME JOIN US![/quote]

lol forgive me for being noob but im not sure what "misc" means, but i think that i am, so i will join u guys!!!!

u know sergio? come join us!!!

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
Can't get at it atm, BB forums are down for maintanence.

Once i get to the clean bulk stage i'll probably throw some cash at a nice squat rack + more weights or just join a gym, gains in strength are the least of my concerns while on a cut.

Last edited:

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Can't get at it atm, BB forums are down for maintanence.

Once i get to the clean bulk stage i'll probably throw some cash at a nice squat rack + more weights or just join a gym, gains in strength are the least of my concerns while on a cut.
yeah sucks forums r down.

if i had the room i'd get a squat rack :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)