• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

degrees in demand (2 Viewers)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Josie said:
Most "Architectural stuff", at least at unsw, is basically the same UAI, except B Architecture, cause that degree is pretty in demandish.... Although offering incentives and better scholarships for B Planning wouldn't be a bad idea.
Don't forget that UAI is purely on demand and number of places- I've heard USyd say that you only really need a mid 80's UAI to have the skills to do Combined Law, but the demand is so high that's never seen. In the same way, you can get into an Engineering degree with high 70's or low 80's, which doesn't in any way reflect the level required.
You can get into engineering with low 80's i dont remeber which one but I remember seeing I could get into one of the engineering degrees, not sure what uni either, i think it was UNSW

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, I was considering doing Engineering at new south if i didn't get into architecture by any means... hahahahahahahah. Anyway.
Yeah, UNSW has a couple of low 80's Engineering degrees.

WAF: yeah, you alcoholic looosers. :p

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Wow, I really am learning stuff in this degree... I understand the interview references and stuff.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
UNSW plans to raise the minimum UAI for all engineering degrees to 85 next year I think. It's pretty fair considering how high the scaling is for the HSC. They should definitely lower scaling for HSC subjects, as some people think just assume your UAI is indicative of how well you will perform in Uni. [/end rant]

Anyway, if someone want's a well paying, interesting(?), career, I would suggest doing Mining Engineering, possibly a combined degree with Civil or Commerce (if you really wan't to). In no way is it an easy job/degree, but you will get paid well, and there are plenty of scholarships available, probably a very good ratio of students to scholarships (in UNSW).

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah true surgeons get paid too much for what they do...sorta like CEOs of large corporations...but then vets and pharmacists definitely don't deserve so much money...bloody charging 70 bucks for a vet consultation- it's ridiculous!

i reckon nurses should get more money for the hard work they do...at least it'd be an incentive for people to consider it as a future career

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
inasero said:
yeah true surgeons get paid too much for what they do...sorta like CEOs of large corporations...but then vets and pharmacists definitely don't deserve so much money...bloody charging 70 bucks for a vet consultation- it's ridiculous!

i reckon nurses should get more money for the hard work they do...at least it'd be an incentive for people to consider it as a future career
I disagree, I think that surgeons, CEO's, vets and pharmacists get paid fairly

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I agree with a surgeons wage, not sure about vet or pharmacist, CEO's are ridiculously overpaid, and health workers should get more.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I agree with a surgeons wage, not sure about vet or pharmacist, CEO's are ridiculously overpaid, and health workers should get more.
For the job that a CEO does and the hours its quite reasonable

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
Korn said:
I disagree, I think that surgeons, CEO's, vets and pharmacists get paid fairly
pharmacists award wages are nowhere near what they should be consider what they do.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazybrad said:
pharmacists award wages are nowhere near what they should be consider what they do.
You think they should be paid more??

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CEOs deserve what they get (to an extend there are some CEOs oin ridiculously good packages but yeh most of em deserve it), they work their way up and its important for a business to have a good leadership...generally the finance industry is pretty good...dentists are paid extremely well as well as doctors that have their own practice, unfortunately i think pharmacists dont get paid that well (i know one personally)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Supra said:
CEOs deserve what they get (to an extend there are some CEOs oin ridiculously good packages but yeh most of em deserve it), they work their way up and its important for a business to have a good leadership...generally the finance industry is pretty good...dentists are paid extremely well as well as doctors that have their own practice, unfortunately i think pharmacists dont get paid that well (i know one personally)
Yes pharmacist should get paid alot more then they do

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
crazybrad said:
Is one person going to say that their profession gets paid well?

Everybody reackons they do more work then they get paid for, which is obviously true, since the employer has to make a profit off you. If you do less work then they lose out on you.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Xayma said:
Is one person going to say that their profession gets paid well?

Everybody reackons they do more work then they get paid for, which is obviously true, since the employer has to make a profit off you. If you do less work then they lose out on you.

thats pretty cynical

you dont believe employers should reward employees?

or do they get paid to be exploited or do work that benefits them as well

the employer in most cases also has to answer to someone higher....

neways- i think some fields of work rewards should be encouraged, as in sciences or maybe anywhere to improve effiency for all involved

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
thats pretty cynical

you dont believe employers should reward employees?

or do they get paid to be exploited or do work that benefits them as well

the employer in most cases also has to answer to someone higher....

neways- i think some fields of work rewards should be encouraged, as in sciences or maybe anywhere to improve effiency for all involved
So it's a viable prospect to hire someone for 100K per annum that only saves the company 90K/year?

CMJ

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
why is the uai cut off for town planning lower than most "architectural" stuff?

someone plan out the city! its a mess!!!

I'm a second year planner at unsw, and the cut-off is lower, as mentioned previously, due to the demand for it and it not having a high popularity compared to architecture. The numbers in my year are actually higher than average for the degree, for which the planning staff were quite surprised to see.

There are plenty of planning jobs out there, especially in local govt, but you've got to build up a lot of experience to have a chance of getting good jobs.

oh and i agree, Sydney is a big planning mess, plenty of things that need to change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)