• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

degrees in demand (3 Viewers)

doe

HSC
N/A
kimmeh said:
I so totally disagree about vets. I can tell you that people who are doing vet for the money are heading for a road of utter disapointment. We have pretty "shit" pay for a professional, though i strongly believe in doing what you love, not for the money. I mean, not everyone has a dog/cat and theres not "pet medicare, but everyone has to seek health/medical attentions for themselves. The reason why we have such high consultation fees is because our equipment/maintaineance/staff/supplies are NOT cheap at all. I can tell you now the metal detatchable cone thing that is used to look down a dogs ear is $200 for one.

Nurses are underestimated and deserve alot more pay than they get.

Pharmacists get too much for what theyre worth, IMO. I dont know if this is going to be the case in 5 years when 250 Pharmacy students will graduate from USYD.
dont vets make about $80k? not ragging on them but thats just what i thought. its a pretty decent salary. i love vets, cause i love animals.

i used to work in a nursing home (kitchen). nurses kick ass, i wouldnt do what they do for a million dollars, and they always give so much of themselves. i agree they should be paid more.

if you think 250 pharmacy students graduating is going to be bad, what are all the forensic science students going to do :p the whole of australia must need about 20 at most, but evidently its the "in" thing.

choosing your degree due to short term demand is silly, cause by the time youve finished things are usually adjusted. if your going to uni for career purposes, choose something that has a reasonable amount of demand, but also something that you have an interest in and enjoy. there is always demand for skilled, interested, enthusiastic people.

another thing is these "hot areas" are usually after experienced people, not fresh grads who will need a few years of on the job training/learning. likewise with that risk management stuff.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hmm...so ~63k per yr...thats pretty good money...although, I thought they'd be ~70k.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
if u want to earn much much more than that become a quant, investment banker...or to a lesser degree an actuary...teh problem with these high paying professions is thats its bloody hard to get into

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Blah, as long as I can get a job as a solicitor or a barrister in five years time, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, that's five years worth of however many uni's putting out x amount of law students before me.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Over a grand a week?? I'll earn ~$600 a week when I graduate. The only way of pushing the $1000 mark as a nurse is to go into admin or become a CNP.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I reckon Law grads, as well as Biz grads will be stuck for a job in the future. Everyone seems to be doing a similar degree these days.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
u can earn 100k out west, thats where ill be but pharmacy cost around 1 to 2 million

X

xeuyrawp

My Dad used to be in the business world, and from talking to him, he says that any kind of Accounting/Finance is a plus.

Although I must disagree, I'd have to say that you can only get places with an Ancient History degree :rolleyes: ... :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
umm of the 250 pharmicist.. not all will grad.. i srsly dun think its sustainable.. but *shrug*

aust needs
other allied health persons.. lik nurses, dentists (esp in NSW w/o a yr 12 supply), physio, occ. therapist .. pharm too but i think if the intake is 250.. that wont be too much problems..

in the rural areas we need docs..but technically we hav enough.. up to $1000 a day in rural vic.. but tat wont be sustainable and is heavily critised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)