• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

degrees in demand (4 Viewers)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Haha, I'll put my hand up and say Architects are paid fairly..... hell yeah. (one of the guys in my design tute announced the only reason he was doing this degree was cause he wanted a Mercedes and a Rolex and Med was too hard)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
White Rabbit said:
you dont get into nursing for the money.....trust me on this.
mm yeh same with teaching.. although u may never be out of a job, if u cant handle blood or children its not really something u should be doing

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
cro_angel said:
mm yeh same with teaching.. although u may never be out of a job, if u cant handle blood or children its not really something u should be doing

True that ;). Job security is pretty good, but you need to enjoy what you're doing or else you'll be miserable forever... ;)

What are you planning on teaching cro?

Rumour, you dont need a degree ya know. I'd prefer not to have to go to Uni personally, and instead do an apprenticeship and be working while I learn. University is overrated, especially in this forum ;)

rumour

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Rumour, you dont need a degree ya know. I'd prefer not to have to go to Uni personally, and instead do an apprenticeship and be working while I learn. University is overrated, especially in this forum ;)
Yeah I know that!
I was only saying that because the title of this thread does say "Degrees in demand", not jobs in demand!!!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
teaching is in demand.... as long as you don't mind working for the government
The same goes for Catholic and private schools, I believe as there is a shortage of teachers everywhere, and also if u wanna go to Europe or England especially it is easy to get a job cause they have a shortage of teachers & u can go from school to school working and travelling

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Actually, NSW doesn't have as a bigger shortage of teachers as people seem to think, it's more forecasted as the demand for the course has droped, but there still are many teachers in the system. It's moreso secondary over primary too, i've noticed. The demand is in rural areas, not in Sydney or the East Coast.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
^ Thats the same for everything though, people just don't want to go west

HSC
Josie said:
Haha, I'll put my hand up and say Architects are paid fairly..... hell yeah. (one of the guys in my design tute announced the only reason he was doing this degree was cause he wanted a Mercedes and a Rolex and Med was too hard)
hmmm i read that architecture grads have the lowest median salary straight out of uni, somewhere in the high 20 000 bracket, but then gets substantially better after that.

If the guy in ur tute really wants money tell him to be an investment banker, he'll be driving a merc at 25 for sure

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It is soothing to know that the only reason I would ever need to stay at any place of employment is that I like being there. If ever I wanted something better, I could either leave in the confident knowledge that I'd get it, or ask for it with a reasonably expectation that it at least be accomodated.

Gotta love the way people don't stop breaking down.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
the only way to make big bucks in pharmacy is to own one, if any1 has a cold million to lend me ill cut u in

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazybrad said:
the only way to make big bucks in pharmacy is to own one, if any1 has a cold million to lend me ill cut u in
If u wanna make money do locum work, and dont be picky, you can make up to $500 a day eventually

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
yerh but i rather live in one spot, locums can get more than that, travel use of car rent, but its a shitty way to make bucks

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
crazybrad said:
yerh but i rather live in one spot, locums can get more than that, travel use of car rent, but its a shitty way to make bucks
This outlook for small pharmacy's aint that good anymore, since the rise of Pharmacy Direct, and others who are able to sell at prices which are sometimes lower then the small pharmacies can purchase their stock at

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Civil engineers are in high demand. As a graduate in sydney you earn 40-50000 but you can go to perth and earn 100000 in your first year out of uni. No joke.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Courtenay said:
Civil engineers are in high demand. As a graduate in sydney you earn 40-50000 but you can go to perth and earn 100000 in your first year out of uni. No joke.
Yeah there is always good cash opportunities else where. There are apprenticeships where I could be earning 100k a year after 5 years of apprenticeship. Which is probably more then I will earn with my degree which takes the same amount of time.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
inasero said:
yeah true surgeons get paid too much for what they do...sorta like CEOs of large corporations...but then vets and pharmacists definitely don't deserve so much money...
I so totally disagree about vets. I can tell you that people who are doing vet for the money are heading for a road of utter disapointment. We have pretty "shit" pay for a professional, though i strongly believe in doing what you love, not for the money. I mean, not everyone has a dog/cat and theres not "pet medicare, but everyone has to seek health/medical attentions for themselves. The reason why we have such high consultation fees is because our equipment/maintaineance/staff/supplies are NOT cheap at all. I can tell you now the metal detatchable cone thing that is used to look down a dogs ear is $200 for one.

Nurses are underestimated and deserve alot more pay than they get.

Pharmacists get too much for what theyre worth, IMO. I dont know if this is going to be the case in 5 years when 250 Pharmacy students will graduate from USYD.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
kimmeh said:
Pharmacists get too much for what theyre worth, IMO. I dont know if this is going to be the case in 5 years when 250 Pharmacy students will graduate from USYD.
well how much u reckon they are worth?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)