• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ive been diagnosed with depression and it feels like my life has just been tumbling down suddenly this year and ive ruined my life
theres nothing worse than feeling sad and depressed and tired and agitated and angry and everything bad nearly all the time, usually for no reason you can think of
my first way of coping with it is close friends, i have a handful of close friends that i can tell just about anything to, and love me alot, though it can be complicated for me seeing as my two closest friends are in a relationship and it often feels that my depression is left unnoticed as they are too busy concentrating on being happy with each other, and of course i want them to be happy but the fact that im so alone in that just makes it hurt more. but in the end its all about accepting the fact that im never alone because i have a bunch of people who care deeply about me even if they dont always show it, and theres never anyone better to talk to about my depression than them
i dont know if this is really answering anyones question but it just feels good to let that out to people who might be experiencing something similar
oh and secondly, dont hold back from help from what is provided at your school. my best mate and closest friend is taking me to see the school counsellor to help me, and even though im really scared about it as being male im bad at asking for help from strangers, but ive realised that it really is the right thing to do, so find that confidence
ok ill stop now, cheers if anyone managed to read all this
hhahah i know what you mean.

its a feeling of hollowness/isolation even though you are far from alone.

ya face

HSC
hhahah i know what you mean.

its a feeling of hollowness/isolation even though you are far from alone.
yep, pretty much
probably because im just assuming i cant be helped, therefore i must be alone
but im just not letting anyone help me because i dont want to hurt them

Ashabella

HSC
ive been diagnosed with depression and it feels like my life has just been tumbling down suddenly this year and ive ruined my life
theres nothing worse than feeling sad and depressed and tired and agitated and angry and everything bad nearly all the time, usually for no reason you can think of
my first way of coping with it is close friends, i have a handful of close friends that i can tell just about anything to, and love me alot, though it can be complicated for me seeing as my two closest friends are in a relationship and it often feels that my depression is left unnoticed as they are too busy concentrating on being happy with each other, and of course i want them to be happy but the fact that im so alone in that just makes it hurt more. but in the end its all about accepting the fact that im never alone because i have a bunch of people who care deeply about me even if they dont always show it, and theres never anyone better to talk to about my depression than them
i dont know if this is really answering anyones question but it just feels good to let that out to people who might be experiencing something similar
oh and secondly, dont hold back from help from what is provided at your school. my best mate and closest friend is taking me to see the school counsellor to help me, and even though im really scared about it as being male im bad at asking for help from strangers, but ive realised that it really is the right thing to do, so find that confidence
Wow... what an amazing story!
You are certainly breaking the stereotype that guys don't seek help for their problems.
Excellent. Are you proud of yourself? You should be.

Your friends sound amazing, by the way. That's so great that you have them there to support you, and feel that you can lean on them most of the time. I guess you might feel rejected sometimes though because they are both in relationships though, hey?

I just want you to know that I really respect the fact that you have been man enough (yes, I said man enough!) to ignore the stereotypes and expectations and get some help. It takes a VERY strong person to do that, and it give a lot of insight into your character. I would honestly be gleaming with pride if I were you, well done.

And it was a pleasure to read all of what you wrote. I found it very interesting and amazing that you have been able to access help like you have. :)

xo

ya face

HSC
Wow... what an amazing story!
You are certainly breaking the stereotype that guys don't seek help for their problems.
Excellent. Are you proud of yourself? You should be.

Your friends sound amazing, by the way. That's so great that you have them there to support you, and feel that you can lean on them most of the time. I guess you might feel rejected sometimes though because they are both in relationships though, hey?

I just want you to know that I really respect the fact that you have been man enough (yes, I said man enough!) to ignore the stereotypes and expectations and get some help. It takes a VERY strong person to do that, and it give a lot of insight into your character. I would honestly be gleaming with pride if I were you, well done.

And it was a pleasure to read all of what you wrote. I found it very interesting and amazing that you have been able to access help like you have. :)

xo
you seriously just made my week haha
i have the upmost respect for you, for firstly bringing up this deep topic and allowing people to benefit from it, and secondly for helping me so much with what you just said

Ashabella

HSC
you seriously just made my week haha
i have the upmost respect for you, for firstly bringing up this deep topic and allowing people to benefit from it, and secondly for helping me so much with what you just said
Well, the respect is reciprocated! I am honestly blown away by how well and maturely you have handled this.

And, I am so glad I have made your week!!! What an honour! :D

Oh my, I think the fact that I have made your week may, in fact, be making my week!

hehe

Good luck seeing the school counsellor. I would really really love to hear how it goes, and i'm sure a lot of other people here would be keen too.

Take care!

Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!

ya face

HSC
Well, the respect is reciprocated! I am honestly blown away by how well and maturely you have handled this.

And, I am so glad I have made your week!!! What an honour! :D

Oh my, I think the fact that I have made your week may, in fact, be making my week!

hehe

Good luck seeing the school counsellor. I would really really love to hear how it goes, and i'm sure a lot of other people here would be keen too.

Take care!

Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!
thank you so much, ill tell you how it goes whenever i end up going, lets just hope i dont try to avoid it like i have been for a while
oh and i just remembered, for anyone reading i found a really calming way to deal with bottled up emotions is to get a small diary or notepad, carry it with you everywhere with a pen, and whenever you need to, just sit down and write in it for a long time without stopping, saying whatever comes to your mind. it might be painful, but the feeling when you finally have nothing else to say is the most amazing feeling ever. when you feel ready, you can read back to yourself what youve written, or even show it to someone close to you, as its a way of letting it go and accepting how you feel. i did all of this and i found it really helped, though it seems im at the stage where i would benefit more from letting it all out to an actual person, a professional like a counsellor
so yeah, hope that helped anyone out there like me, and sorry for writing another essay length response again haha
thanks again ashabella, i dont even know you but you already mean alot to me

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
hehe chortle

ah the hsc, kiddies harden the fuck up,

but yer you know you arent the only one doing the hsc, mainly peopel do it, just try your best if you fail meh, there are other ways to get into uni

that was a little ignorant, don't you think?

M

mathsSUCKSballs

to Ashabella
whilst i have heaps of respect to you for being so selfless and trying (and evidently succeeding) to help all these depressed people, don't you think you could perhaps tone down on the really over-the-top cheesy positivity??? I know its obviously with good intentions, but it sounds sooooooooo forced, fake, superficial... in fact, I was reading some of your replies imagining them being read out by some model with a plastic face and constantly smiling on an advertisment on TV....

dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to mock u for the sake of mocking u (who says i'm mocking u anyway), i'm just 'trying to help' :p u appear less fake, cos i know ur not but u just sound it.

i support this whole 'cause' though - depressions a bitch, i found that out in year 9, and yeh advice to all affected, just live with it cos over time u'll learn more about urself and be able to harness everything u learn each new day and eventually find the strength and clarity of mind to fuck the depression up and win! :D

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
to Ashabella
whilst i have heaps of respect to you for being so selfless and trying (and evidently succeeding) to help all these depressed people, don't you think you could perhaps tone down on the really over-the-top cheesy positivity??? I know its obviously with good intentions, but it sounds sooooooooo forced, fake, superficial... in fact, I was reading some of your replies imagining them being read out by some model with a plastic face and constantly smiling on an advertisment on TV....

dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to mock u for the sake of mocking u (who says i'm mocking u anyway), i'm just 'trying to help' :p u appear less fake, cos i know ur not but u just sound it.

i support this whole 'cause' though - depressions a bitch, i found that out in year 9, and yeh advice to all affected, just live with it cos over time u'll learn more about urself and be able to harness everything u learn each new day and eventually find the strength and clarity of mind to fuck the depression up and win! :D
learn to love math and you'll never be depressed

shayla

HSC
hey, i know what its like. Is ur PM box working? Im trying to PM you!

emilywood

HSC
This stressful time during the HSC, get yourself around some friends who can keep you on track and accountable.
Really, there is life outside of the HSC, life has its seasons and this is just a small portion of it.
And one way that has helped me to get through all my homework and assignments, is to reward myself every now and again with a weekend off to chill, or something like that. Anyways, Good Luck :)

ya face

HSC
hey, i know what its like. Is ur PM box working? Im trying to PM you!
yeah, it should be working..
i dunno, im new to this site i havent used it before now
so you're lucky i managed to work out how to reply to you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Let me give you some tips to cope with depression:

- Get involved in some school & community activities so that you can feel more "valued".
- Be active and become more busy in life (but don't over-work yourself)
- Consult with teachers/parents/counsellors/etc, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE THIS CAN MAKE
- Make a priority list, be ahead of your work. Control your HSC, don't ever let it control you
- Get help from teachers/parents, HSC is a teamwork - triple alliance i call this - teachers, you and your parents.

Ashabella

HSC
to Ashabella

hmmm okay. Well thanks. I'm not trying to sound 'cheesy'. I guess i'm just pretty passionate about this (obviously) so I really care about how everyone is dealing with it, or not dealing with it.

I promise it's genuine.

Anyway, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)