Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
This post won't last the day.

The highwayman will come in here and delete it.

as he did to several of mine which suggested the medicinal benefits of concrete.
Maybe you should try to stop trying so hard to post spam in this thread. Whether or not you like it, the OP made this thread to try and discuss a topic. People give you enough respect to stay on topic in your thread(s) so all you guys should at least show some respect and do the same here. It's not that hard.

And don't go off at the moderators. They're just doing their job and trying to keep this place on on topic and as clean as possible.

Last edited:

akrinis

HSC
I have to confess that I haven't read all the replies to this thread as there are 11 pages, but I'd just like to add that Lifeline and Kidshelpline offer wonderful free, confidential counselling services. Kids helpline counsels people up to the age of 25 and also has an online service, and lifeline is telephone only, and assists ANYONE. The numbers are:
Kids helpline - 1800 55 1800
Lifeline - 13 11 14

Depression and the HSC are not uncommon and don't ever feel alone. Perhaps you could talk to a school counsellor, friend, family member or teacher you trust? There's no shame in admitting you need help.
I just want to add that, although Kids Hep Line is useful, I don't like how their system works.

Sometimes you just need to have a vent and the timing is inconvenient so you call them up and if you happen to be in an agreement with one of their people they refuse to talk to you or even hear your concerns. That's really annoying, if say you haven't spoken to the counselor in over a year and the issue isn't as problematic as it was before.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Telling people to just "harden up" isnt really constructive.
some people are able to disguise sad situations, but one must question how this is any more healthy than clinically diagnosed depression. Internalising issues can often be as dangerous.
Nobody is completely resilient. If you have stories of your own struggles, feel free to share them and how you coped.
This thread is here to support not judge. many posters in this thread would do well to note this.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
what about encouraging them and telling them to be happy and being there for them

cos why dont they all just think happy things and just be happy instead of being sad so much?

Ashabella

HSC
I just want to add that, although Kids Hep Line is useful, I don't like how their system works.

Sometimes you just need to have a vent and the timing is inconvenient so you call them up and if you happen to be in an agreement with one of their people they refuse to talk to you or even hear your concerns. That's really annoying, if say you haven't spoken to the counselor in over a year and the issue isn't as problematic as it was before.

Hey,

How come some people are in an agreement where they are allowed to talk to other counsellors, and some people are in an agreement where they ARE allowed to?

I don't understand.... What the difference between those people?

That must be so frustrating too. I can totally understand why that would make you feel annoyed.

:(

Ashabella

HSC
ok so is "maybe you should try being happy instead of being sad" helpful?
It would be nice if depression worked like that, it truly would.

But if it was that simple, depression probably wouldn't exist and be recognised as a disability.

I suppose it's hard to really grasp what it must be like if you haven't experienced it, but there's more to it than just 'thinking happy thoughts'. No one can just 'snap out' of depression.

Getting over it is a process, and it's a process that needs to involve, support, compassion and understanding.

It's not as simple as deciding to be happy... it's about LEARNING to be happy.

angie-gee

HSC
Depression and the HSC

I've had a lot of outside of school stuff happening lately which I've had to deal with, and because of it, school is suffering greatly.

I just need to survive this year, I really want to do well, but I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my head above the water.

how do you cope when you're down during the HSC, trying to deal with depression etc etc?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Re: Depression and the HSC

I've had a lot of outside of school stuff happening lately which I've had to deal with, and because of it, school is suffering greatly.

I just need to survive this year, I really want to do well, but I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my head above the water.

how do you cope when you're down during the HSC, trying to deal with depression etc etc?
I never let emotions get in the way.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC

Let's start by trying to find the source which causes your depression.

angie-gee

HSC

Let's start by trying to find the source which causes your depression.
I know what's causing it, but it's not something that is easily dealt with, and there's a lot there as well.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC

angie, if there's anything you need help with. You can always come to me :)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

That's quite an arrogant thing to say.
just wait till you finish the hsc, get into uni and realise how over exagerated the importance and difficulty of the hsc is

anyway my claim has some truth, though you should extend the amount of hours prior to an assesment

if you do the work in class, listen and do all the homework you should only be revising for you exams

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

if you basically listen in class

do about 1-2 hours preparation for each assesment/exam

do most of the homework and try

you can easily get over 90uai
Totally agreed.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC

Uncle, that's actually really useful. Thanks.

q3thefish

HSC

everyone feels depression cuz its a necessity in life.

however, hsc + teen hormones + highschool angst = disaster for some lolz.

but ye, if this is what we have chosen, then we gotta take it head on eh?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC

just wait till you finish the hsc, get into uni and realise how over exagerated the importance and difficulty of the hsc is
well the problem is that someone who is seriously depressed (or sick) is probably going to have their hsc results affected so much that they won't get into uni. if its a big personal goal of theirs then they're probably only going to become more depressed (which fucks up ambition etc) and the hsc suddenly seems like it was so important even though its not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)