Didn't Do Maths! (1 Viewer)

omnipotent

HSC
Well, it's the end of year 11 now and I am starting to regret the fact that I did not pick a single unit of maths.
I do all 3 sciences and economics, and would be perfectly capable of doing maths, but I am also perfectly capable of doing those other subjects.
I have been given two choices but am wondering if there is more : Bridging course at uni or doing maths at TAFE. If I did maths in tafe, it would be extra pressure on my hsc and would not be easy. Bridging course I'm considering as it is just 10 weeks of non-stop maths, but then it's over.
I'm currently doing 12 units right now, but will drop one (ext english) next year. Is it possible that I can somehow pick up 2 unit maths but only do 1 unit of it at school and the rest at home?
Any suggestions/help

Last edited:

omnipotent

HSC
I'm not concerned about my sciences or economics, as I am in top 10 of my subjects.
I'm more concerned about getting into university courses.

TheStallion

HSC
Without any maths, you can really rule out anything todo with engineering/aviation. No maths = extremely limited opportunities in the realm of sciences.

omnipotent

HSC
I've recently realised that, but say I get a decent UAI that would get me into a course in engineering. Would they dissallow me from doing the course due to the lack of maths, or will they just tell me to do a bridging course?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
bridging course.
but you'll struggle to no end.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
bridging course is yeah i think over summer session which is 8 weeks.

however once u get into engineering, you'll still struggle epically in the math sector.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Lmfao! Shit mann !!! Biggest mistake anyone could ever do....

Drop some subject. Go to Tafe. Work extra extra hard.

That's all you can do.

Skinneth

Do The Whirlwind.
HSC
Take a gap year after you finish HSC - do TAFE maths in that time.'

That way you dont have to worry about maths for a long time yet.

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
I think taking a bridging course is the way to go. You will find it pretty tough if you get into a course for Engineering, but at least once you get in and have the knowledge of maths from the bridging course, you'll be able to improve. :)

By the way - after year 11 prelims at our school, we can pick up/drop subjects. I suggest you ask your year co-ordinator about picking up maths. Sure, you'd be a lot behind, but catching up from missing prelim maths is much better than not doing it at all for the HSC.

omnipotent

HSC
Yeh well we can drop subjects, not sure if we can pick up any.
But then I have the issue of which subject to drop I'm going extremely well in all my subjects (except english, but I can't drop that).
Let's say I wont do engineering, but maybe a science which isn't as epically focussed on maths, would it still be hard?

Also, the reason I didn't choose maths isn't because I suck at it, just because I don't enjoy it.

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
a general science course it not very maths heavy and you should be fine without it, a bridging course will help obviously but it there isnt that much maths in it. Engineering is a whole different situation though

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
ask if you can pick it up asap
if not - don't worry - they aren't allowed to keep you out of a uni course based on your subject selection. It's bascially just your uai. And if you do a general science course you'll be fine. Bridging course, tutoring etc if you need extra help. No biggie. It's alright.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm amazed u could be doing 3 sciences & eco and do no maths at all. I'd have thought yr parents, friends and yr teachers would have advised u as to the risk u are taking. I understand the physics here is maths-light thereby giving the wrong idea that a reasonably solid background in maths is important in uni for engineering, the physical sciences and economics.

If yr school allows you back into math you can arrange for special private tutor(not just anyone can do this well) to cover the initial parts you've missed out. Get yr folks to talk to yr school principal about yr predicament.

Such needless dilemma. Good luck.

jules.09

HSC
Consult your math department.

I have a friend who did general in year 11 because the school forced him to, and then in year 12 he did ext 1 math, not kidding. He was fine, but it will take a fair bit out of you.

TheStallion

HSC
Yeah you can drop 2 and pick 1 up, as long as you still have at least 10 units.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
you need to do prem course to do HSC course. This differs in eng, maths, though. and you can pcik up senior science if you do science. Best option go tafe once a week and do prem and HSC course there. Drop a school subject and sudy for maths in free periods. Thats probably your best choice.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Some schools are lenient and will let you pick up subjects at the beggining of Year 12. Consult your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)