Difference between CHEM1031 and CHEM1011? (1 Viewer)

Axiom

HSC
N/A
Is there a large separation of difficulty between Higher Chemistry 1A (CHEM1031) and Fundamentals of Chemistry 1A (CHEM1011)??
Looking through the handbook descriptions and 'course outlines' they look awfully similar, in fact there descriptions are exactly the same except for the last line of the Higher Chem descrip (The core lectures are accompanied by a series of enrichment lectures on advanced and contemporary topics).

Lydia_88

HSC
Is there a large separation of difficulty between Higher Chemistry 1A (CHEM1031) and Fundamentals of Chemistry 1A (CHEM1011)??
Looking through the handbook descriptions and 'course outlines' they look awfully similar, in fact there descriptions are exactly the same except for the last line of the Higher Chem descrip (The core lectures are accompanied by a series of enrichment lectures on advanced and contemporary topics).
Hi Axiom,

I did CHEM1011 back in first year. A lot of in second year onwards, require you to do at least chem1011 and chem1021. As i did chemistry in high school, the first few weeks were just revision (you still do a fair bit on moles, chemical reactions, redox) then towards the end of semester, you do a fair bit of organic chemistry.
Chem1021 is harder, as you will be exposed to new material, and so much more...dont want to scare you at this point :skip:. Didn't pass on the first go unfortunately, but passed on the second :shoot:.......it was back in 2007 that i did chem1011.....long long time...

CHEM1031 on the other hand, i hear there is a lot of emphasis on organic chemistry and its fast paced, although you do a lot of this is also covered in chem1021. If anyone who has done CHEM1031 can provide a bit of expansion....

But if you are struggling in chem1031, then drop to chem1021 in semester two.

Tim035

HSC
Chem1011 & Chem1021 = 3 hours lectures, 2 hour lab, 1 hour tutorial. The first 4-5 weeks of chem1011 is pretty much hsc chemistry.

Chem1031/Chem1041= 2 hours lectures, 3 hour lab, 1 hour tutorial. You jump straight in to learning about atomic theory at the start of chem1031.

Due to having an extra lecture each week, fundamental students do catch up by the end of first year. i.e. both fundamental and advanced chem students have covered the same topics (the advanced students may have covered them in a bit more depth). However the advanced kids will have done a decent amount more practical work and be more experienced in techniques that will put them at an advantage if they go on to 2nd year chem.

CLIFFS:
- Do 1011/1021 if you are trying to maximize WAM / they are required for unrelated 2nd year subjects e.g. pharmacology, biochemistry etc.
- Do 1031/1041 if you plan on doing 2nd year chemistry or a chemistry major.

Last edited:

Axiom

HSC
N/A
Chem1011 & Chem1021 = 3 hours lectures, 2 hour lab, 1 hour tutorial. The first 4-5 weeks of chem1011 is pretty much hsc chemistry.

Chem1031/Chem1041= 2 hours lectures, 3 hour lab, 1 hour tutorial. You jump straight in to learning about atomic theory at the start of chem1021.

Due to having an extra lecture each week, fundamental students do catch up by the end of first year. i.e. both fundamental and advanced chem students have covered the same topics (the advanced students may have covered them in a bit more depth). However the advanced kids will have done a decent amount more practical work and be more experienced in techniques that will put them at an advantage if they go on to 2nd year chem.

CLIFFS:
- Do 1011/1021 if you are trying to maximize WAM / they are required for unrelated 2nd year subjects e.g. pharmacology, biochemistry etc.

Thanks. I'm doing Advanced Science (wanting to major in Neuroscience), so in the handbook it says I should do Higher Chem (CHEM1031). Do I have to follow this? I'd probably rather do chem1011 because I did take a gap year, but I will man up and do CHEM1031 if its the only way. Also, I saw in one of your other posts you did some neuropharmacology subjects in your later years, do you think doing CHEM1031 provides an advantage in these higher level subjects?

Thanks, as well, for your reply Lydia

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
I did neuropharmacology and neurophysiology, neither of them had any chemistry in them. Neuropharmacology you have to learn the synthesis and breakdown of the various neurotransmitters, but only to the detail of: Compound A + catalyst B --> Neurotransmitter C

There is definetely no detailed chemical equations or calculations to do.

Axiom

HSC
N/A
Do you know if these classes take the same exam/tests as each other?

Tim035

HSC
No, CHEM1011/CHEM1031 & CHEM1021/CHEM1041 have different tests and end of semester exams.

nottellingu

HSC
No, CHEM1011/CHEM1031 & CHEM1021/CHEM1041 have different tests and end of semester exams.
Are you sure?
I was told that they do the same test except higher chem students will be able to attempt a few bonus questions?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Are you sure?
I was told that they do the same test except higher chem students will be able to attempt a few bonus questions?
The courses may have changed since Tim and I did it. This is often the case because you may get a different course co-ordinator every year so they like to run it differently.

Tim035

HSC
The courses may have changed since Tim and I did it. This is often the case because you may get a different course co-ordinator every year so they like to run it differently.
This could very well be the case, the courses aren't even named the same as when I did them 3 years ago, they use to be fundamental & advanced chem. Now it's 'essential of chemistry'

nottellingu

HSC
I guess I'll have to wait and see then.
Im actually pretty excited about first year. Its going to be one hell of an year and im sure ill have a lot of fun, can't wait!

If I do get into med this year ill be slightly annoyed that i wont be able to do the second year subjects which look really exciting but i suppose you do that sort of stuff in med anyway.

BTW, I got an email from UNSW saying that there are 70 more students in medical science this year compared to last year. They've had to open up another SCIF tute to accomodate all the students.

It's also great to have Survivor39 & Tim035 both of whom are UNSW Med Sci veterans to guide us noobs :haha: Thanks guys! :headbang:

nottellingu

HSC
Okay here is the answer from the semester 1 information pdf we got in the mail:

OBJECTIVES OF CHEM1011 AND CHEM1031​
Both Essentials of Chemistry 1A and Higher Chemistry 1A aim to extend your understanding of the basic principles of
Chemistry that underlie our understanding of matter by building on your chemical knowledge from High School. After a
brief review of the assumed knowledge these courses cover the structure of atoms and how this relates to the chemical
properties of the elements, the nature of chemical bonds, intermolecular forces and the properties of solutions, classes of
chemical reactions, and electrochemistry and electrochemical cells.
The difference between CHEM1011 and CHEM1031 is that in CHEM1031 some of the introductory material in each
section of the syllabus will be covered more briefly to make time for a number of enrichment lectures which will
introduce students to the applications of chemistry to contemporary research problems.

End Of Semester Examination
The final examinations for CHEM1011 and CHEM1031 will both be of 2 hours duration and will contain a common
set of questions requiring written answers (similar to the tutorial problems) and multiple choice questions. These
questions will contribute up to 100% of your final examination mark. The CHEM1031 paper will also contain a
number of additional multiple–choice questions based on the content of the enrichment lectures, to be answered within
the 2 hour examination time. These additional questions will contribute bonus marks of up to 5% to the exam mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)