Difference between prelim and HSC marks?? (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
How much difference usually is there between them??
If i got all band 6's in prelim would i still get them in the HSC course?

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You should maintain the same marks if you continue to study effectively and you understand the HSC concepts just as well.

And remember, it's the actual HSC year in year 12 so people (like me) will actually get into gear so standards will be raised. Just remember to raise yours as well and you'll be fine :D

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
annabackwards said:
You should maintain the same marks if you continue to study effectively and you understand the HSC concepts just as well.

And remember, it's the actual HSC year in year 12 so people (like me) will actually get into gear so standards will be raised. Just remember to raise yours as well and you'll be fine :D
yeah, thats true, btw nice maths mark

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I can confidently say that there will be a lot of differences between Preliminary and HSC marks.

There are so many factors that come in:
  1. the difficulty of your school's own exams
  2. the difficult of HSC exams
  3. how you study from now on
  4. how you studied during Preliminary
  5. etc
  6. etc
  7. ....

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah, thats true, btw nice maths mark
Thanks, i got "convinced" to care about the 2U math exam which i knew wouldn't go towards my HSC anyway (unless i get band 5s for every other subject of mine somehow) a few days before the exam ^^

@Namu- i found my prelim exams pretty much the same standard as my HSC exams although everyone is getting higher marks this time around because everyone cares XD

Oh and don't do what i'm doing and procrastinate... i just played Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core on PSP for like 3 hours when i was supposed to be doing my 3U questions :devil:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
annabackwards said:
Thanks, i got "convinced" to care about the 2U math exam which i knew wouldn't go towards my HSC anyway (unless i get band 5s for every other subject of mine somehow) a few days before the exam ^^

@Namu- i found my prelim exams pretty much the same standard as my HSC exams although everyone is getting higher marks this time around because everyone cares XD

Oh and don't do what i'm doing and procrastinate... i just played Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core on PSP for like 3 hours when i was supposed to be doing my 3U questions :devil:
That's your school perhaps but every school has certainly different exam standards hence different levels of achievements.

bored of sc

HSC
study-freak said:
As Namu said, it's way too hard to tell. But they usually stay relatively similar if you put in the same amount of work/study.

OFF TOPIC: Namu, outstanding Maths result. Well done. You deserve it.

Last edited:

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
study-freak said:
There is no relation between them. Take me for example, back in Year 11 2007 I sucked at everything like Adv. English. My teacher at the time wrote in the student comments that "...X is more suited towards the Standard course" well, my Exam mark was 82/100, assement mark was 79/100 and HSC mark was 81 my second highest mark.

Another example where there is no relation was when our year discussed UAIs, when I told this guy 'L' who has a UAI of 81 that my UAI was 86.25 he had this priceless expression and started screaming and crying "how did this loser beat me?! I was the in Year 11!"(insert tears here)... anyway my point being is that after Year 11 some people slip and the underdogs win, therefore if you got band 6's in prelim there is no guarantee that you'll get them in HSC, cause after Year 11 everyone gets a clean slate.

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
But they usually stay relatively similar if you put in the same amount of work/study.
That never happened to the guy I described above because Year 12 is a whole new ballgame where the underdog takes advantage of a man's(or woman's) arrogance

BigBadVoodoo

HSC
Please refrain for double posting as this will be seen as spam and a moderator will be notified for such obscenities.

On another note, I disagree with you FLYHAWK14. I go to RBHS which doesn't have quite the academic reputation as other schools and I for one know that those who are the underdogs STAY as the underdogs.

As I am refraining from saying any names, I will call this person (gender is an issue with this person) "TDR" but ever since Year 7 he has failed to make any friends and as a "scholar" (if you can call him that) he has always been below average, always striving to attain higher levels yet he cannot. I guess the hardwork these "underdogs" (as you so call them) will never beat those more academically qualified unless they for instance cheated.

It is because of these cheats that the world is so rotten, and thanks to TDR the hardwork that people have GENUINELY put in or squashed thanks to the underhanded works of the "underdogs".

P.S. There is no need to delete your posts in the future FLYHAWK14, this is an open forum and we are allowed to have conflicting views and also I have taken screenshots of our argument as future reference.

Have a good day. :haha:

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
BigBadVoodoo said:
Please refrain for double posting as this will be seen as spam and a moderator will be notified for such obscenities.

On another note, I disagree with you FLYHAWK14. I go to RBHS which doesn't have quite the academic reputation as other schools and I for one know that those who are the underdogs STAY as the underdogs.

As I am refraining from saying any names, I will call this person (gender is an issue with this person) "TDR" but ever since Year 7 he has failed to make any friends and as a "scholar" (if you can call him that) he has always been below average, always striving to attain higher levels yet he cannot. I guess the hardwork these "underdogs" (as you so call them) will never beat those more academically qualified unless they for instance cheated.

It is because of these cheats that the world is so rotten, and thanks to TDR the hardwork that people have GENUINELY put in or squashed thanks to the underhanded works of the "underdogs".

P.S. There is no need to delete your posts in the future FLYHAWK14, this is an open forum and we are allowed to have conflicting views and also I have taken screenshots of our argument as future reference.

Have a good day. :haha:
..Okay, I'm assuming you're not a troll

I'll back up flyhawk here
Let's see.. Okay, beginning of this year, the first Year 11 3u Maths assessment I did, I got under 50%. I was in the bottom 10 of the grade (out of like, 80)
Now, I've started studying and for the first Year 12 3u Maths assessment I did, I got 97% and I'm 8th (still out of like, 80)
Similar stories for all my other subjects.
Hell, you should see my Year 10 report, that was just.. Terrible :burn:
Long story short, I was the underdog in Prelims and now I'm doing heaps well

Oh and how dare you generalise all the 'underdogs' who rise up as 'cheaters'

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
Your school rank + class ranks in year 11 would be more important than telling us your marks, IMO. I personally had very similar ranks in both year 11/12 so I think there is some correlation.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
study-freak said:
I failed yr 11 miserably, my uai estimiate was around low 80's.

Now my uai is around 95, alot of things could happen. =P

LoneWolf1990

HSC
youngminii said:
..Okay, I'm assuming you're not a troll

I'll back up flyhawk here
Let's see.. Okay, beginning of this year, the first Year 11 3u Maths assessment I did, I got under 50%. I was in the bottom 10 of the grade (out of like, 80)
Now, I've started studying and for the first Year 12 3u Maths assessment I did, I got 97% and I'm 8th (still out of like, 80)
Similar stories for all my other subjects.
Hell, you should see my Year 10 report, that was just.. Terrible :burn:
Long story short, I was the underdog in Prelims and now I'm doing heaps well

Oh and how dare you generalise all the 'underdogs' who rise up as 'cheaters'
Kudos to that. I have only one thing to say to BigBadVoodoo(what a gay name, sounds like a gay star he probably wanks to), there will always be underdogs who beat the big guy like heroes who stand against villains like you:evilfire:

georgefren

HSC
Preliminary marks should have no bearing on your hsc marks. Which means its only the work you put in at the end which matters.

wendybird

HSC
Yes, why should there be any correlation between Prelim and HSC marks?

The two have nothing to do with each other, apart from as a reflection of the effort you've put in at each year.

A good student during prelim, might continue to do well in HSC, that's great.

At the same time, a student who had slacked off during Prelim might do just as well if not better during the HSC year due to gaining motivation.

Basically prelim marks: essentially irrelevant and best forgotten.

Just move on, don't get hung up over bad prelim marks, and don't rest on your laurels for good prelim marks either; and focus on the HSC. That's what really counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)