• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

different law schools (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
jasee said:
This thread seems a bit off topic don't you think?
Every forum has its own spam thread. It err, builds community spirit.

santaslayer

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Hey jasee!... what cut off was your course (that ur doing?) (while were on the topic of going off_)
Jasee's cutoff does not affect you as such because Jasee is like....

OLD!

Cutoffs have been altered dramatically since he did his HSC...(which was many moons ago. :p)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
I am currently reading some English equity textbooks ( for entertainment, not for uni ) and many of the concepts carry over. After all, tracing and half-secret trusts
are pretty much the same in australia and the UK.
like my learned friend mr poohboy, i widely read as well. right now, i'm enjoying 'the hungry little caterpillar'. :rolleyes:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
I am currently reading some English equity textbooks ( for entertainment, not for uni ) and many of the concepts carry over. After all, tracing and half-secret trusts are pretty much the same in australia and the UK.
I wonder what equity books you're reading? You're quite eager, that's third year material. We covered tracing in property but we didn't actually look at secret trusts beyond basic awareness of their existence.

For extra law readings I mostly read advocacy/litigation/evidence books

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I wonder what equity books you're reading? You're quite eager, that's third year material. We covered tracing in property but we didn't actually look at secret trusts beyond basic awareness of their existence.

For extra law readings I mostly read advocacy/litigation/evidence books
Probably texts from his relatives who have all studied in oxbridge or whateva they call it.

X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
Wrong.
A BCL is a LLM.
The LLM from Oxford is called a BCL while the LLM from
Cambridge is called a LLM

There is considerable overlap anyway.
I am currently reading some English equity textbooks ( for entertainment, not for uni ) and many of the concepts carry over. After all, tracing and half-secret trusts
are pretty much the same in australia and the UK.
Look. You're an idiot. Don't tell people they're wrong when you're an idiot. Firstly, what you quoted and what you replied weren't really related. Secondly, what you said (and what I'm quoting) is wrong.

A family friend has discussed with me the differences about the oxbridge postgrad courses. She says that the BCL at Oxford is for Common law, and the MJuris is for non-common law. The latter is more popular, whilst LLMs, M.Litts, and MPhils are all offered by Cambridge's faculty of law, with both the LLMs and M.Litts being the common choices.

So you are wrong, but we all know you'd prefer to actually have "LLB (USyd) BCL (Oxon.) LLM (Cambridge) DPhil (Oxon.)" on your business card, rather than actually learning the important stuff.

Have you broken the spines on any of your classical law books yet?

X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
ie: The BCL is Oxford's equivalent of a LLM.

You are rather dense.
The BCL is as EXACTLY popular as the M.Litt. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ENGLISH?! THERE IS NO EQUIVALENT.

NUMBER OF STUDENTS IN BCL = NUMBER OF STUDENTS IN M.Litt. THEY ARE DIFFERENT COURSES AND HAVE DIFFERENT FOCUS. THEY ARE DIFFERENT TO AN LLM BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT. THERE IS NO EXACT EQUIVALENT OF AN LLM.

You are dense, but we've already figured that out.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
mooonlight I'm shocked!

Secret trusts was covered!!!! You just didnt you your reading :p Naughty boy!
hehe oops

They said not to worry about it much though... so I didn't go through it for the exam

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
<3 Cathy!

She's the best lecturer since David Braddon-Mitchel in the USYD philosophy department..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am starting to work on my uni applications
at the moment I have

Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB - UNSW *as if but I might as well dream*
Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB - UWS * only UWS and UNSW offer the combined degree I want*
LLB - UTS
LLB/ Arts - MAQU

And I am applying for University of Notre Dame as well but thats separate from UAC

Then if I dont get any of them and I need to transfer
Social Science (Criminology) UNSW *If I meet the trasnfer requirements*
Social Science (Criminology) UWS

I dont really mind where I got but I'd prefer to do Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB rather than just and LLB or arts LLB but hey...anyone that will take me :)

santaslayer

HSC
bearpooh said:
Or in paralegal work or even work using the "other" degree.
Only 50% end up lawyers.
The rest end up in other jobs.

I know an accountant , a junior editor for CCH and a Docs manager
who have law degrees but never could get law jobs.

They didnt have the smarts, the marks or the connections.
Ahhh...so could you give me the method as to how they calculate the employment rate for the 'other degree' then?

If you do a Commerce/LLB degree and gain employment in the Commerce field, then I guess they would put you as a statistic in the 'commerce employment field'

If you do the same degree but gain employment in the LLB field then I guess you would be classified as an 'LLB employed, ex-student'.

So where did you get the idea that the statistics were not accurate?

This is the Good Universities Guide we are talking about here. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
From what I've heard she goes a bit too fast. Leaves out detail. The best teacher I've had so far is Alex Steel - by a very long way.
Yes at times she does tend to speak quickly, she acknowledged that herself and warns people to ask her to slow down. But I personally have no trouble following what she says.

As for leaving out detail she doesn't dwell on things she believes are completely useless in practice, she's a more pragmatic teacher. Like she did not harp on about the deferred theory of indefeasibility for example, whereas some old fossil might

Alex is great, I've only had a few classes with him, but I rate Cathy as No. 1 :cool:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Yeah but deffered indefeasibility still applies in some circumstances. The principle has been narrowed but its not totally gone. It also could be revived. A number of judges (according to Ms Gray who name drops judges she has had dinner with) still feel that deferred indefeasibility is better.
Like I said, some fossils... :p

Although technically Gibbs hasn't been overruled, Butt suggests that a recent amendment to the RPA, s 3(1), seems to confirm the distinguishment of Gibbs by providing that "fraud" includes fraud involving a fictitious person. Read with s 118(1)(d), which allows a person deprived of land by "fraud" to take proceedings to recover the land from a person who has become the registered prop. through "fraud", it seems to quash any residual effect of Gibbs.

But we have yet to see... until a fictitious person case arises =/

Sarah

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
at the moment I have

Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB - UWS * only UWS and UNSW offer the combined degree I want*
LLB - UTS
LLB/ Arts - MAQU

And I am applying for University of Notre Dame as well but thats separate from UAC

I dont really mind where I got but I'd prefer to do Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB rather than just and LLB or arts LLB but hey...anyone that will take me :)
Hey Melsc,

Does UNSW have Social Science (Criminology)/LLB?

I know they have Social Science/LLb but wasn't aware they had the Criminology course combined with Law

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
melsc said:
at the moment I have

LLB - UTS
LLB/ Arts - MAQU

I dont really mind where I got but I'd prefer to do Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB rather than just and LLB or arts LLB but hey...anyone that will take me
Shite negro, you're bloody early.
I'm only getting an idea of where I want to go.

But, in saying that, if I don't get into either USYD, UNSW or UTS law, I'll transfer from a different course after a year.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Sarah said:
Hey Melsc,

Does UNSW have Social Science (Criminology)/LLB?

I know they have Social Science/LLb but wasn't aware they had the Criminology course combined with Law
:uhhuh: what you do is do B social science/ LLB and then major in Criminology...at least I think thats how it works

Sarah

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
:uhhuh: what you do is do B social science/ LLB and then major in Criminology...at least I think thats how it works
Sorry Melsc, I hate to disappoint you but I'm pretty certain UNSW doesn't offer
B Social Science (Criminology)/ LLB. You can check with UNSW but i'm almost certain it's not offered.

You can do the normal B Social Science/LLB but Criminology isn't a major in the normal B Social Science program.

The B Social Science (Criminology) is a seperate social science degree to the
B Social Science. Both degrees have the same Social Science core subjects except Soc Sci (Crim) has a core in Criminology.

You can have a look at UNSW's Arts & Social Science website to see how both Social Science degrees are structured.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)