Discover Discovery – a guide from a 99+ student (1 Viewer)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Any advice on how to write a good intro??

Also my teacher always said to "link back to question", but I'm struggling on how to have a strong link, I was never shown properly.
To link back the question-usually involves topic sentences that utilises the key words of the question to show you are answering the question and nothing but the question. In general, a good introduction should include:

A general sentence that covers the overall aim/objective of the overall
module/rubric studied.
Two or three sentences that introduces the texts to be discussed in the essay, including the author of the text, the title of the text (double inverted commas or underline if the text is a film or a novel, and single inverted commas for poem titles), and the year the text was first written/performed in brackets.
Make sure you give an overview of what the text is about and introduce your main thesis points relating the text and answering the question. In a normal essay, usually two main thesis points is adequate.
A concluding sentence that links both texts together in relation to the aims of the module and essay question.
A good introduction should be no more than 150 words in length

As with all other things in life, practice makes perfect:)

bedeos

HSC
Just a heads up Einstein only signed the letter it was written by another man

Flop21

HSC
Any tips for the exam, paper 1 ???

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Any tips for the exam, paper 1 ???
Very broad question, however, I will give you a very succinct answer

Comprehension Section
Annotate-any part of the unseen texts that you find is relevant to answering the question and have sufficient techniques for analysis
Analyse-discovery concepts relevant to the question and the particular text
Assess-how effectively the composer has presented the discovery concepts/to what extent has certain discovery concepts relevant to the question be portrayed as accurate/ineffectual to a holistic understanding of the complex nature of discovery as a whole

Creative
Make sure integrate stimulus both literally and metaphorically, preferably in a meaningful way for at least 3 times through your story, somewhere at the start, somewhere in the middle, and somewhere near the end.

Essay
Always plan before you write, always deconstruct your question and let the question guide what thesis you make, instead of your memorised essay trying to mould to the question. Minimise plot recounting in body paragraphs and make sure all topic/concluding sentences include key words from the question in a meaningful way.

Hope this helps:)

JulianStafford

HSC
Hey fellas, I really do need help to find my 2 related texts for life of pi, where the overarching theme again is discovery.
Please helpppp!!! will be much appreciated!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
that was awesome!! thank god I don't have the actual HSC till next year but will defs help. thanks from all yr12 hahaha
Glad you found the guide helpful:)-any questions about discovery-remember to ask to 'discover' the answer haha:)-or you can navigate through the rubric and come to your own unique understanding of this module-hopefully you will come to enjoy it:)

andy4555

HSC
Hi, Thanks for info on Discovery.Have you ever read 'Aquifer' Short story by Tim Winton. If so, do you know what we can write about Discovery in there with techniques? Pl.help, if you can. Thanks

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, Thanks for info on Discovery.Have you ever read 'Aquifer' Short story by Tim Winton. If so, do you know what we can write about Discovery in there with techniques? Pl.help, if you can. Thanks
Hi there, I haven't read the story, in general, it is better to think about ideas yourself and find techniques then confirm with another person rather than relying on other people for ideas because you need to develop this critical thinking skill for your discovery exam anyways-and during the exam, no one can help besides yourself:)

Good luck with everything:)

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
If anyone's wondering, Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton) was a really good choice for one of my texts. You could easily write a whole essay on the discoveries, techniques used and other aspects that come with discovery within the movie, and would easily link in with a lot of other texts :D

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Could you deconstruct the discovery rubric into short simplistic ideas that is easy to comprehend and understad?

Thanks

Regards,
eyeseeyou

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

Could you deconstruct the discovery rubric into short simplistic ideas that is easy to comprehend and understad?

Thanks

Regards,
eyeseeyou
That's what I have try to do, perhaps you can summaries my study guide or do your own summary to get a better understanding of the discovery rubric? Anyways, Merry Christmas:)

gstaah

Moey dont worry
HSC
Whilst not specific to the area of study, is there anything else I need to include in the introduction of the essay apart from thesis and main body points?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst not specific to the area of study, is there anything else I need to include in the introduction of the essay apart from thesis and main body points?
You can include an overview of what your text is about and also you can include a sentence that is specific to the rubric to demonstrate your general understanding of it in the first sentence of the introduction, for example, in a discovery essay, your first sentence might be: "Discovery is a life-long process in which individuals strive to find a sense of self-actualisation"

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have any questions related to discovery, feel free to ask:)

likeneverbefore

HSC
hi there

i was wondering whether anyone could explain how to put in context into a discovery essay? i am supposed to put it into the 2nd sentence per body paragraph but i am strugglin without any examples haha

Anyone response will be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

thank you

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hi there

i was wondering whether anyone could explain how to put in context into a discovery essay? i am supposed to put it into the 2nd sentence per body paragraph but i am strugglin without any examples haha

Anyone response will be greatly appreciated!!!! :)

thank you
It depends on what context you are talking about, if you want to give context within the story, you could go: The character, after undergoining this journey, asserted...., or if you want to give context to the author, you might go, through reflecting on [insert author]'s cultural heritage, the author highlights.... (a discovery concept)

Hope this helps and clarifies stuff for you a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)