Discrepency (1 Viewer)

timbermetimer

HSC
I just wanted to know, If someone gets 30 internally. And drastically gets a 85 in the HSC, since there is such a huge discrepancy what happens?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Assuming your 30 internal is the rough equivalent of a 30 external (i.e. your in class tests are radically more difficult), then they will probably average out to something around 50-60. But it will depend a lot on how the rest of your cohort go.

D94

HSC
N/A
I just wanted to know, If someone gets 30 internally. And drastically gets a 85 in the HSC, since there is such a huge discrepancy what happens?
This situation will most likely never happen.

I very much doubt it's possible for 30 to be the final moderated assessment mark for a student. That would infer the range of HSC exam marks range from at least 85 down to at least 30, which is a massive gap and I think it would be safe to say a HSC exam mark of 30 is an outlier score, which would be taken out of the calculations.

But if 30 is a raw internal assessment mark, i.e. hasn't been moderated yet, then that will most likely be lifted to reflect the HSC exam marks.

timbermetimer

HSC
so just for clarification for my friend, if her mark is 30 internally, but she somehow gets like 90 in the HSC for one of her subjects. Would her marks for that subject be like 80 ish?

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
just saying, how is it possible for one that received 30 internally to get a 90 externally? O_O

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It would depend on the rankings, but in a general sense, pretty unlikely. 70ish is probably be closer to the mark.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
just saying, how is it possible for one that received 30 internally to get a 90 externally? O_O
Extremely unlikely. But yes, assuming you school sets extremely hard exams in which everyone flunks.

D94

HSC
N/A
so just for clarification for my friend, if her mark is 30 internally, but she somehow gets like 90 in the HSC for one of her subjects. Would her marks for that subject be like 80 ish?
You need to tell us if that 30 is the raw assessment mark or moderated assessment mark. But you obviously can't say it's the moderated assessment mark because you haven't sat the HSC yet. So that mark of 30 is just the raw mark. That means, it will be moderated according to how well her cohort performs in the HSC. That 30 could be moderated to 65 or 85 for all we know.

You need to understand how the HSC calculations work. Your school might be setting easy assessments and another school might be setting hard assessments. How is it fair if BOS just compares these two marks as just raw marks? You can't fairly compare them. So what objective assessment do both of your schools sit? The HSC exams. So, BOS compares your school's HSC exam performance with the raw school marks and either raises or lowers the school marks accordingly. Then that newly calculated mark is used to determine your HSC mark. So that is why doing well in the HSC is necessary in gaining a good HSC mark.

Telling us she got 30 internally means nothing. How does she rank in her school? What are the marks of other students? Were the assessments easy or hard? '30' just represents her school assessment performance relative to other students in your school. BOS calculates an assessment mark relative to other students in the HSC by means of HSC exam performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)