Discussion- Quality of teaching at different schools (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
interesting how you've omitted science :(
Good point. Nowadays science(I don't mean Maths; I mean physics, chemistry, zoology, botany, geology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, etc etc) ranks very far behind - a pity really from the point of view of national development.

HSC
Uni Grad
He also rambled on about how he fell in love with maths during our maths challenge day.
ngaww Mr Matchett and his love for maths. But then again we had another teacher who was rather obsessed and open with maths xD

On a positive note, overall it's not too bad. Could be worse. I scanned around 150 pages of Maths work during the summer holidays to the head teacher of Mathematics at our school (future 4U teacher). He marked it in under 3 hours and printed all of it out and handed it to me.
that's how dedicated our head teacher is. Wish I still had him along with my existing 4U teacher. My current 4U teacher is not as dedicated, he's a bit slow but then again in classes he's freaken hilarious :L

Good point. Nowadays science(I don't mean Maths; I mean physics, chemistry, zoology, botany, geology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, etc etc) ranks very far behind - a pity really from the point of view of national development.
maths is also a priority for the national development as well, but then again it's in relation to teaching mathematics.

Last edited:

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
My school is a public school thats 7-12 and is ranked 175-190 (so not spectacular), and I have found over the years that the quality of teaching varied from subject to subject. One conclusion I made in regards to the faculties was that the dedication/nature/talent/knowledge of the head teacher reflected in their staff. My school has a brilliant English/History/LOTE head teacher, and the staff in that faculty are superb. Whereas our Maths and Science heads are little lacking (getting quite old now) and there are only a few notable decent teachers within the faculty to give it a spark (students pray for the good teachers when collecting timetables at the end of the year, and there is often many people requesting to change classes in order to be taught by the more qualitable teacher).

So,
English / History / LOTE = Brilliant.
Maths = Okay - 5/8 decent teachers.
Science = Slightly Okay - 3/9 decent teachers.
Social Science = Good.
Creative Arts = Good.
Technology / Practical Subjects = Okay.
Sports = Good.

I think the quality of teaching would remain constant from school type to school type, primarily because even in the private / selective sectors you have bad teachers and bad students (just not as much). And the public sector certainly has some bright sparks amongst the dulls of grey, they just happen to be neglected by students and don't get any recognition.

funnytomato

HSC
I think the quality of teaching would remain constant from school type to school type, primarily because even in the private / selective sectors you have bad teachers and bad students (just not as much). And the public sector certainly has some bright sparks amongst the dulls of grey, they just happen to be neglected by students and don't get any recognition.
true that

but a "bad student" at JR will probably beat more than half of the students in a comprehensive school

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
St Gregory's College - Private - Catholic
Maths - Best teachers, except a really good few have left over the past couple of years and there is one or maybe too bad teachers.
English - Shit. Some of them are good/okay, but the department isn't even good enough to run EE2 and there is like one Advanced teacher and he's a wanker.
Sciences - Chem - Decent
- Bio - Good. But a good teacher left last year (MY TEACHER!) but I'm still doing well.
- Physics - Shit.
- Junior & Senior Science - Decent.
HSIE - History - Good. (We had a teacher that got class state rankings in legal and modern but he left for the moniehz)
- Legal - good
- Geography - No...
- Economics - Decent
- Studies of Religion - Meh... Is it really even a subject?
- Business - Good... I think.
- PDHPE - Good. We usually get 1 to 3 band 6s out of like <20 students.
Computers - Software - GOOD! Nicest, funniest, best teacher out.
- IPT - Meh...
- IST - Who cares?
D&T - Good.
Creative Arts - Drama - The last year it ran was my year 7 :(
- Visual Arts - Decent. (Although they didn't run it for my year! D: )
- Music - Hahahahahaahha. They wouldn't let me sing in year 9 and 10 because I didn't get singing lessons, but they let people sing that fucking sucked compared to me.

I don't know where this fits in but:
Agriculture - Apparently the Board of Studies said our Ag department was up to if not higher than the standard of Ruse and Hurlstone... but our principal said this to us so I'm not sure how true it is...
"Our band got a gold metal for their performance yesterday" - Principal
*2 minutes earlier*
"We got a silver metal yesterday..." - Band teacher

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My school has the best Social Science teachers ever, we also have fucking awesome english teachers. How ever we only has like 3 out of 7 good math teachers.

Luckily all my teachers are fucking pro, who take would take so much time out to help me and other students

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Argh, sweeping generealisations never work! It can vary so much public to public school and so much from private school to private school and vary comparing public to private.

Anyways, there's always being a mixture at my public school. Some teachers are absolute champs, some are bad.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I have never had a bad teacher. I must be very lucky.

We have one dodgy teacher whom is Chinese and barely speak english and doesn't know the subject she teaches (thank god i never had her)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I have never had a bad teacher. I must be very lucky.

We have one dodgy teacher whom is Chinese and barely speak english and doesn't know the subject she teaches (thank god i never had her)
Yes you are *extremely* lucky.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Strathfield girls.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

St Gregory's College - Private - Catholic
Maths - Best teachers, except a really good few have left over the past couple of years and there is one or maybe too bad teachers.
English - Shit. Some of them are good/okay, but the department isn't even good enough to run EE2 and there is like one Advanced teacher and he's a wanker.
Sciences - Chem - Decent
- Bio - Good. But a good teacher left last year (MY TEACHER!) but I'm still doing well.
- Physics - Shit.
- Junior & Senior Science - Decent.
HSIE - History - Good. (We had a teacher that got class state rankings in legal and modern but he left for the moniehz)
- Legal - good
- Geography - No...
- Economics - Decent
- Studies of Religion - Meh... Is it really even a subject?
- Business - Good... I think.
- PDHPE - Good. We usually get 1 to 3 band 6s out of like <20 students.
Computers - Software - GOOD! Nicest, funniest, best teacher out.
- IPT - Meh...
- IST - Who cares?
D&T - Good.
Creative Arts - Drama - The last year it ran was my year 7 :(
- Visual Arts - Decent. (Although they didn't run it for my year! D: )
- Music - Hahahahahaahha. They wouldn't let me sing in year 9 and 10 because I didn't get singing lessons, but they let people sing that fucking sucked compared to me.

I don't know where this fits in but:
Agriculture - Apparently the Board of Studies said our Ag department was up to if not higher than the standard of Ruse and Hurlstone... but our principal said this to us so I'm not sure how true it is...
"Our band got a gold metal for their performance yesterday" - Principal
*2 minutes earlier*
"We got a silver metal yesterday..." - Band teacher
Campbelltown?

LonelyWolf

HSC
Yep. In Cambo-ville
Why did your ATAR aim change?!
Do you know a guy called Daniel Johnson who left at the end of year 10? I think a couple of your teachers came to my school as well, i'll try and think of some names.

Yeah, i figured my ranks are quite shit, so i lowered my standards, i never really expected to get 85+ anyway. I'd be extremely happy with 85 though

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I suspect:

i) in Selective Schools, the students are selected but, save for a few exceptions. the teachers are not. In a few like Ruse, the pressure to deliver is so high that the non-performing teachers are weeded out or leave of their own accord before they are pushed.
not always. off the top of my head I can only think of two times when student pressure caused (?) teachers to leave, one was more or less accused of perving on students and the other one was racist against asians HAHAHAHAHAHA. mostly if our teachers are bad people will just get private tutoring, but we do have a lot of amazing teachers as well.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
not always. off the top of my head I can only think of two times when student pressure caused (?) teachers to leave, one was more or less accused of perving on students and the other one was racist against asians HAHAHAHAHAHA. mostly if our teachers are bad people will just get private tutoring, but we do have a lot of amazing teachers as well.
One of my teachers left because students always flirted with her.

The only problem is my school gets alot of hot teachers.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
x jiim

Skinner's Box

B F Skinner? You are not doing psychology are you?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know a guy called Daniel Johnson who left at the end of year 10? I think a couple of your teachers came to my school as well, i'll try and think of some names.
Yeah, i figured my ranks are quite shit, so i lowered my standards, i never really expected to get 85+ anyway. I'd be extremely happy with 85 though
Ew... YES! That kid was a fuckwit.
Who?!
Just pwn trials! :p

LOL
An Italian teacher left because the year above us made him cry and then the next year my year made the other Italian teacher leave because everyone was heaps racist to her lol
The Italian teacher now is awesome so I don't think she'll be leaving.
I can't remember whether other teachers have been pressured out.

LonelyWolf

HSC
Ew... YES! That kid was a fuckwit.
Who?!
Just pwn trials! :p
yeah, he's arrogant cunt aye did he get bullied or something there? he still lives in that area. Do you have any shit on him?
. Still having trouble remembering the teachers, the majority of them would have left your school in 2009 & 2010.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)