Distinction Course Discussion (1 Viewer)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i was sitting next to someone (from my school) that was very much in the discussion...like every second response but anyways, the coosmo final project seems difficult!!

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
the cosmo final project seems difficult!!
I'm terrified, yes.

But I think that when the time comes, I'll know what to do; just as, in year 10, I was terrified of the idea of EE2, but now I'm doing it and it's just exciting :)

I won't let that final project deter me from doing the course!

:spin:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It will be interesting to see how much further I can extend myself academically next year.

As they said, we only use fraction of our potential even in an extreme condition. Then what about in the extra-extreme condition? ;)

But hey! I just realised that we are saying stuff already as if we are already in the course!

HSC
That's true, oops, lets not be overconfident :)

Fingers crossed we all get in! I can imagine the fun we'd have :D

Scissors

HSC
lyounamu said:
Just calculated the chance:

1/3 of getting a phone call on that day.

4 hours /24 = 1/6 BUT they are not likely to call from 6pm to 10am (because I don't think board works at that time. So it's more like 4/8 but your time of ceremony and calling time may overlap so it's more like 3/8

And chance of them getting the phone call right = depends on how well you write on application form, let's say it's 100%

And chance of you getting in = I will be generous, 100%

So your chance is = 3/8 x 1/3 = 1/8

But chance of my miscalculation = very high

So your chance of getting a phone call during your ceremony = between 0 and 1

LOL
namu, that is possibly the lamest post you've ever made, and many of your posts are quite lame.

stick to maths. please refrain from making any more 'jokes'.

HSC
Scissors said:
namu, that is possibly the lamest post you've ever made, and many of your posts are quite lame.

stick to maths. please refrain from making any more 'jokes'.
:mad1: It made me laugh.
Please refrain from making any more 'suggestions'.

:lol:

Scissors

HSC
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
:mad1: It made me laugh.
Please refrain from making any more 'suggestions'.

:lol:
sif you actually laughed out loud (literally)

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
But hey! I just realised that we are saying stuff already as if we are already in the course!
yeah...i hav a feeling i wont, my report wont look too good...compared to others

Scissors said:
sif you actually laughed our loud (literally)
i did sorta, lamely amusing

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah...i hav a feeling i wont, my report wont look too good...compared to others
Have faith! I'm sure they'll like your report :)
Don't include the sub-par pages ;)

Scissors said:
sif you actually laughed our loud (literally)
I did laugh. On the inside.
Well, I smiled.

Oh, stfu :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:

i did sorta, lamely amusing
I am sure they pay more attention to your HSC result where you would get 97+ easily.

And you go to Sydney Boys! Any result will satisfy the requirement. (basically)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am sure they pay more attention to your HSC result where you would get 97+ easily.

And you go to Sydney Boys! Any result will satisfy the requirement. (basically)
wat about all those ruse people..i'm sure they wuda done better in accelerated plus have a better report, hmm i still think i'd b near the cut off hopefully just before

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
wat about all those ruse people..i'm sure they wuda done better in accelerated plus have a better report
Well, not all 30 people would have been placed top.

If you haven't noticed, about half were yr 10 who accelerated in SDD/Computer studies or whatever when I asked.

95+ in Maths > 95+ in their accelerated subjects.

You haven't got much to worry about. On top of that, not all of them will go for it anyway.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, not all 30 people would have been placed top.

If you haven't noticed, about half were yr 10 who accelerated in SDD/Computer studies or whatever when I asked.

95+ in Maths > 95+ in their accelerated subjects.

You haven't got much to worry about. On top of that, not all of them will go for it anyway.
yeah, the only thing i'm really worried about is that we dont know how people are applying,

HSC
I don't think there were more than 80 people there anyway. Probably less (i didn't count..) and I don't think everyone will apply out of those. Also, I think a greater number of people are applying for phil than for cosmo..

So, I think you'll get in :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
hmmmm.....i'm still tossing up between phil and cosmo.....i've already done a sort of phil course but i want to have the best chance of getting in, so do you think i would be better off applying for cosmo (i accelerated in physics so that stuff looks really interesting)?
Best chance of getting in?

In terms of that, I reckon Cosmology might be easier as it has many more places than Philosophy?

They said that they will restrict the places of Cosmology to about 36 (but I doubt that every single place will be filled because it's not as popular as Philosophy). That means that Philosophy will have about 44 (since the total is 80)

However, if you are confident that you got about 92+ and decent school report, getting into the course (either one of them) will be pretty much guaranteed.

Philosophy = if you have done a lot of Philosophy-related subjects, it might be interesting to you because in the Distinction Course, I am sure they look that in lots and lots of details.

Cosmology = they said that it's more related to maths than it is to science (i.e. physics). And I talked to few people and they told me physics doesn't really help you with Cosmology. But doing Cosmology might help you with options called Astrophysics in Physics. But since you did Physics already, why bother? (trying to persuade you into doing Philosophy...hahahahaha...i am evil...need to eliminate competition...lol)

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
I may be too late, but..

I did Philosophy in 2007 (ages ago now), ended up with 91/100. And it counted over my Software mark of 95/100. It's an interesting course, not too difficult as long as you can follow a logical argument, and it just looks awesome on your HSC final report. Plus the scaling is sexy as. So, as a previous alumni of this distinction course, my advice (if you can still elect to do a distinction course) is:

CHOOSE PHILOSOPHY. It's awesome. (And cosmo sucks. I never did it, but it looks scary.) :)

xMrRand0m

HSC
live.fast said:
I may be too late, but..

I did Philosophy in 2007 (ages ago now), ended up with 91/100. And it counted over my Software mark of 95/100. It's an interesting course, not too difficult as long as you can follow a logical argument, and it just looks awesome on your HSC final report. Plus the scaling is sexy as. So, as a previous alumni of this distinction course, my advice (if you can still elect to do a distinction course) is:

CHOOSE PHILOSOPHY. It's awesome. (And cosmo sucks. I never did it, but it looks scary.) :)
Heyy! it's Roger! What was your state-rank for philosophy?? I'm hoping I'll get into philosophy. It sounds so much more interesting than cosmology. Plus that 12000 word final assessment task is a real turn off.

It was a great privilege to talk to Namu in real life, not just on BoS =)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)