Distinction Course Discussion (1 Viewer)

VampireGirl

HSC
Well i only got my package yesterday seeing that i was away, but i have been reading some stuff from the textbooks on CD and stuff.

wendybird

HSC
Philosophy stuff arrived this morning! :party:

4 Core Module booklets, a study guide and various admin papers from UNE.

i must admit, my first source of excitement was:

the colour of the booklets (RED!)

and the cool looking cover typography (who knew BOS could be capable of good graphic design?).

all so very pretty. :monkey:

wendybird

HSC
yes i noticed that as well, it seems that the 4th module (test/essay assesment) will be done during the 3rd residential?

do you feel mind and morality was of help to understand the modules?

some of the readings.. :bomb:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ah!!! good on you guys!!! But first of all, I want to express my feeling of satisfaction about not competing against you guys!!! jks :)

Anyway, I will see you guys around at the graduation ceremony - if we successfully survive until that time. :(

wendybird

HSC
i was discussing problem 18 with my dad this morning..

on first reading, Problem 18 pretty much blew my mind :hippie:

i found that Godfrey-Smith's analysis (and subsequent tearing down of the problem) got to the main problems and pointed out the weaknesses pretty well.

i mean i couldn't get past the genetic issues for starters.

i don't have a solution, and i'm definately not informed enough to make any proper comments..

but some thoughts-

- isn't Dum-Dee much like a closed causal loop (ie. knowledge that comes from nowhere) but in physical form? if it was merely his existence that was inexplicably introduced (ie. like God, or big bang) then there are defensible reasons as per Lewis Day's arguments. However, if his existence involves procreation and genetic mixing with another human being, i think that somehow renders the loop fallible/impossible?

-perhaps it is also problematic to treat time much like a physical dimension, because (if we use Day's arguments about personal-external dimensions of time) isn't Dum-Dee himself a dimension of time..

basically very confusing, (i'm still confused) but it's very interesting :fish:

what were your ideas sikhman?

diti

HSC
Maybe I'm missing something, but was everyone given the information to get onto the site mentioned on page 1 of the yellow booklet for Philosophy? Because I can't seem to find it *sigh*

iceshard

HSC
A question for you guys: What kind of stuff did it take to get into the dis. courses?

From a bit of internet research I know you have to do well in an accelerated HSC subject, and generally be an excellent student... what achievements did you guys do to get accepted?

wendybird

HSC
diti said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but was everyone given the information to get onto the site mentioned on page 1 of the yellow booklet for Philosophy? Because I can't seem to find it *sigh*
don't worry, i didn't get it either :)

i assume they just forgot or they'll email/contact us about it later.

wendybird

HSC
^ how was the cosmology package?

First impressions?

I hear you guys have alot of reading + materials.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wendybird said:
^ how was the cosmology package?

First impressions?

I hear you guys have alot of reading + materials.
1500-2000 pages of textbooks

stuff
stuff
stuff
stuff
stuff

nice little video with guest apperance by david - that is the only thing I loved

wendybird

HSC
aww multimedia!

sounds good. :)

out of interest, when does the cosmology course end?

Philosophy has it's final assignment 12th October. It's nice (though intimidating) to see the shortness of the course..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Is the format the same for distinction courses, as it is with 2u subjects? As in, do you have 5 assessments which make up internal mark and one big HSC at the end?
our one is 3 assignments worth 10% each, first exam, 10%, final exam 30%, and major project 30%.

VampireGirl

HSC
lyounamu said:
I just read through some stuff. Nothing serious yet...
Yes same, just reading the stuff they gave us.

Yesterday i noticed a very very big problem with our first residential. It coincides with my english assessment worth 30%!!!!! Now i'm freaking out, i'm going to have to run around all day on my first day back to school negotiating with teachers:( What a disaster.

eliseliselise

HSC
does anyone know where the residentials for philo are being held??? i realise that UNE's based in armidale, and that the deputy information services librarian is looking forward to seeing me in armidale ;) - but for some reason i'm convinced that the residential will be held in sydney?? can anyone clarify?

the stuff they sent was awesome!! although the red cover of the module books is certainly very um.. eye-catching and potentially headache-inducing- the content is fab! time & cause reminds me of donnie darko... which is a very good thing. ;)

happy new year everyone!!
cheers​

diti

HSC
wendybird said:
don't worry, i didn't get it either :)

i assume they just forgot or they'll email/contact us about it later.
*phew* thanks :)
I was starting to worry that I'd left it in the packaging for our course materials stuff and chucked it in the bin.

I love the red cover. Purely because it makes it a lot easier for me to find where I put the books x)

It seems pretty hard to get us all out to Armidale, but then again, cosmo's at Coonabarabran, so you never know ;)

jet

Banned
HSC
I read in the information booklet that it was BOS's responsibility to send us our logins at a later date. I surely hope its soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)