Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Distinction Courses

joseph.chan.08 said:
Hey guys

I'm doing the Cosmology Distinction course right now. There has been discussions for the cancellation of the three distinction courses. I'm not sure if this is a board of studies decision or some other issue. Either way it has been on the cutting board since 1998. Its only now that the powers be have decided to act.

For 2009

Comparative Literature is almost certain to go next year. This is because the academics who run it are retiring, and no one is giving up a fight to see it stay alive.

Philosophy is most likely staying for 2009.

Cosmology is iffy, but likely to stay, although it will switch from CSU to UNE.

As for all three courses, they are likely to be cut by 2010.

General information
The information day has been cancelled to my knowledge. This may change, but according to my sources 99% cancelled.

This is the info I have as now. By no means is it final, call the distinction course coordinator if you have queries. Don't quote me please. Its a shame the courses are going.
thanks for the info

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Thanks for the info.

It's a shame they're planning on cutting the Distinction Course - that's like one of the best aspects of the HSC and one that truly caters for the Gifted and Talented.

joseph.chan.08

HSC

Hi guys,

There is more info at this site. There are also templates on writing letters to the four major parties involved. This is serious, every person that helps out will bring the bos 1 step closer to rectifying the situation.

http://www.itweb.com.au/save/letter.htm

So if you want to do a distinction course next year, or at some stage, or simply don't want to see an avenue for the gifted washed away please write a letter. It is a serious shame to see such brilliant courses being dumped because of a dispute.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

joseph.chan.08 said:
Hi guys,

There is more info at this site. There are also templates on writing letters to the four major parties involved. This is serious, every person that helps out will bring the bos 1 step closer to rectifying the situation.

http://www.itweb.com.au/save/letter.htm

So if you want to do a distinction course next year, or at some stage, or simply don't want to see an avenue for the gifted washed away please write a letter. It is a serious shame to see such brilliant courses being dumped because of a dispute.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers guys.
How can we talk about the experiences when we have not even done the course yet?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Read this if you're interested in or value Distinction Courses at all

that link didn't go anywhere for me shud b http://www.itweb.com.au/save/letter.htm
i dont know if i shud apply for cosmo or phil
anyone know wat cosmo is about? or wat courses wud do cosmo is uni

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

the-derivative said:
That's true.
Maybe we can get the Year 12s to write it for us.
Or we can always bullshit.
Ahh, unfortunately, it's probably best to leave it up to those who've done the courses before to attempt to persuade the various parties involved to continue with the Distinction Course program, no matter how good the bullshit is :p A shame, really, because the early entry scheme they are proposing to replace these courses simply won't be as effective in catering for the talents and interests of the students that the distinction courses were targeted towards, and bring up their own share of problems and issues quite seperate from the distinction courses.

Regardless of these current shambles, however, I still would urge all of you interested to send in those applications of interest to the Board of Studies (not for Comparitive Literature, however) and in lieu of the Information Day (which seems to have been cancelled for this year, not withstanding any late change of heart) I will attempt to answer any particular questions about the two remaining distinction courses availble for next year, if needed.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Read this if you're interested in or value Distinction Courses at all

So all I gotta do is to send the letters to the address given, right?

I will send them today (all 4 of them).

NOTICE TO 09ERS: SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BY SENDING THE LETTERS!

It ain't that difficult, all the letters are written for you.

We cannot condone such an act to destroy this flagship gifted and talented program!

The future of this course depends on our ability to stick together during this difficult moment!

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the cancellation of the courses

actually i mite wanna do cosmology next yr, well apply for it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the cancellation of the courses

So we can't really apply for the course right now, can we?

blackglitter

HSC
Distinction Course 2009 update

I just got an email from one of the course co-ordinators and Comparitive literature is highly unlikely to run next year and cosmology is also being reconsidered. Philosophy, however will definitely run. Well that kind of made my choice easier :p but it sucks because I wanted to do comp lit too, oh well :rolleyes:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Distinction Course 2009 update

blackglitter said:
I just got an email from one of the course co-ordinators and Comparitive literature is highly unlikely to run next year and cosmology is also being reconsidered. Philosophy, however will definitely run. Well that kind of made my choice easier :p but it sucks because I wanted to do comp lit too, oh well :rolleyes:
I sent a letter too (two days ago) but no one made a reply...:(

I want to do Cosmology...hopefully they can run the bloody course...

Do you know where to hand in the form?

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu said:

Yeah, I know what you mean - my friend wants to do cosmology too and she'll be pretty pissed off if they don't run it. I sent an email to the official admissions lady last week but she never replied, so I just sent an email to the lecturers and they replied pretty much straight away. I heard they might scrap it all together in 2010 which sucks, because it's an awesome program :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

blackglitter said:
Yeah, I know what you mean - my friend wants to do cosmology too and she'll be pretty pissed off if they don't run it. I sent an email to the official admissions lady last week but she never replied, so I just sent an email to the lecturers and they replied pretty much straight away. I heard they might scrap it all together in 2010 which sucks, because it's an awesome program :(
Did you apply yet? Do you know when/where to apply? Thanks~

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu said:

Do you know where to hand in the form?
Sorry, just saw that bit - the person said that expression of interest forms should have already been sent out to schools but there isn't going to be an information day this year...but my school hasn't gotten the form yet so I don't know what's happening with that. We have to submit an official application by early december I think but I'm not sure how we do that either. If anyone knows, help would be great :p

HSC
Oh noes! I want to do cosmology!!
Should I send in the 2007 expression-of-interest form and hope for the best, or wait until the Board releases information about it? And send the letters, of course..

I'm such an idiot. I could have done a distinction course last year instead of waiting for year 12. Argh!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:
Oh noes! I want to do cosmology!!
Should I send in the 2007 expression-of-interest form and hope for the best, or wait until the Board releases information about it? And send the letters, of course..

I'm such an idiot. I could have done a distinction course last year instead of waiting for year 12. Argh!
So are you sending your 2007 form?

Who else sent their 2007 forms here?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
blackglitter said:
I don't think we can send the 2007 forms in. Maybe we should just call them up directly?
Tell me the email that you got a communcation through.

I sent one but still no reply...I think I may have sent a letter to the wrong person, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)