Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

blackglitter

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, that's the one. I contacted her like 4 days ago but no reply yet.

So did you make a contact to the Philosophy organiser? What did he/she say?
Yeah, I sent him an email too but he never replied - I should have applied to do one in year 11 :mad: ah, oh well :p

HSC
Christine Jackson replied to me:

Information about Distinction Courses will be posted on the BOS website in the next few weeks. There may be some changes from previous years.

Direct quote :D

And no, I'm not sending in the 2007 form until there's more info up. I was just checking if anyone else was...

blackglitter

HSC
Elisa.the.Sweda said:

Information about Distinction Courses will be posted on the BOS website in the next few weeks. There may be some changes from previous years.

And no, I'm not sending in the 2007 form until there's more info up. I was just checking if anyone else was...
Awesome, thanks

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

interesting, i hope cosmology goes ahead, seeeems interesting!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Elisa.the.Sweda said:

Damn, she (Christine Jackson) ignored me...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

lyounamu said:
Damn, she (Christine Jackson) ignored me...
lol, i'm sure its nothing personal

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

i was told today that comp. lit has been axed ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'( and i really wanted to do it too.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

marcquelle said:
i was told today that comp. lit has been axed ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'( and i really wanted to do it too.
oh reallly i hope they dont axe cosmo as well

webby234

HSC
N/A
Sorry to repost the link, but
http://www.itweb.com.au/save/default.htm

Please read that website and help! Whether or not you plan to do (or have done) a distinction course, if you think the distinction courses are a good idea then just take a few seconds to send an email. A template has even been created - http://www.itweb.com.au/save/write.htm

As a past cosmology course i am saddened to hear of the cancellation of the courses, as they provide a wonderful opportunity for students. The courses provide an outlet for students who wish to extend their knowledge and understanding beyond the level offered by hsc subjects, are a great way to meet others with similar interests and provide useful preparation and skills for university.

The courses are an amazing experience for all involved - for me the best part was the last night of the first residential, where we lay under the stars all night, only getting up to peer through the telescope and observe for ourselves the wonders of the night sky. To actually have a chance to see it first hand, combined with the knowledge the course gave me was something quite special. Studying a distinction course has had a profound impact on my academic and social life since - some of my closest friendships were formed during the course and i am still in contact with the academics involved.

So please help and don't allow them to be canceled for future students!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Did anyone apply yet? I didn't apply yet and I don't even know when the form for expression of interest comes out! I am just worried that I might miss this opportunity...please help!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Did anyone apply yet? I didn't apply yet and I don't even know when the form for expression of interest comes out! I am just worried that I might miss this opportunity...please help!
to my knowledge it hasn't come out yet!

HSC
Article at SMH:

<headline>Principal rues loss of honour courses</headline>

<date>September 30, 2008</date>

<!--bylineDetails-->
<!--articleDetails--> <!--articleExtras-wrap--> THE principal of the top selective school in the state fears the Higher School Certificate will be dumbed down when distinction courses for elite students are phased out from next year.

Larissa Treskin, the principal of James Ruse Agricultural High School, said she was dismayed at the decision to cut distinction courses, which top students study through university and which count towards their HSC and university entry score.
This year 93 students are enrolled in one of the three distinction courses, comparative literature, cosmology and philosophy, at a cost to the NSW Board of Studies of up to $279,000.

The board confirmed it will no longer offer comparative literature next year or the remaining two courses by 2010. ...
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/09/29/1222650989544.html?feed=fairfaxdigitalxml

First bit of news about it that I've found...

henry08

HSC
N/A
$279000 for 93 students = $3000 a student!!!!
Until I saw that I was all for keeping these course, howver at a cost of $3000 each, these should definatly be removed.

machiavel

HSC

You have to complete the HSC at least a year ahead of your cohort, so you would have to be sitting the HSC either this year or next year for one or more subjects and get a decent mark for it (usually 90+).
Not necessarily. DC entry depends on whether your school allows acceleration. For example I did Cosmology in 2006 despite Ascham not allowing acceleration: I simply submitted the form along with a letter from the Headmistress explaining why the school didn't offer acceleration. I *had* done the PHIL1015 Mind and Morality course offered by the University of Syndey, which is a Year 11 unit comparable to acceleration, so if you can't be accelerated, I would do one of the USyd courses in Year 11 and claim that as the accelerated unit.

In addition, doing the Mind and morality course is a good way to resolve the decision between Cosmology and Philosophy: you get an intense dose of key philosophical principles in year 11 and if you really enjoy that do Philosophy, if not, do Cosmology. From talking to people who did both courses, it seems to me that the cosmology course can be enjoyed even if you have just a modest interest in the subject, whereas you have to have a real passion for philosophy to get through that course. (Of course I may be letting my bias colour my interpretation of their comments. :) )

Please, please, please submit indications of interest to the Board if you want to do any of the Distinction Courses: the more students show their interest, the greater the weight of the alumni petition to the department of education.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

It did kinda promote student elitism.

eliseliselise

HSC
this is a scandal!! while the government is squandering its monopoly on a "computer for every student", distinction courses are not just spectacular opportunities- but potent statements which provide gifted students a chance to exploit their academic prowess-- & they're axing them?!?!?!?! rviwaeuiuI!U!!1riouf58u2q9wU!J~!graawrr11!huYUy*(&^&*~!!

exchange students from countries such as columbia, finland, germany say that the board of studies equivalent offers philo/comp. lit./cosmo to any student, perhaps they could rectify something along the lines of that?? we don't get psychology in nsw either!! victoria does!! the obscenity!! gah!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
eliseliselise said:
this is a scandal!! while the government is squandering its monopoly on a "computer for every student", distinction courses are not just spectacular opportunities- but potent statements which provide gifted students a chance to exploit their academic prowess-- & they're axing them?!?!?!?! rviwaeuiuI!U!!1riouf58u2q9wU!J~!graawrr11!huYUy*(&^&*~!!

exchange students from countries such as columbia, finland, germany say that the board of studies equivalent offers philo/comp. lit./cosmo to any student, perhaps they could rectify something along the lines of that?? we don't get psychology in nsw either!! victoria does!! the obscenity!! gah!!
Lol, glad to see another fan of DC expressing her enthusiasm for the course.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
The key difference is that Distinction Courses were only provided for a select number of students. The cream of the crop. You read it right- only about 90 students in the whole of the state participate in a course that costs over 200k to run. From a utilitarian perspective, would it not be better if this 200k was spent allocated for perhaps somethign that would benefit a greater amount of people? Take 10 disadvantaged schools (each with say a student population of 600 each), give them 20k funding each. In my opinion, 5000+ students could benefit as opposed to a mere 100 or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)